Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st May 2010, 08:12   #2841  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxnet View Post
I am using the Nvidia decoder at this time. Is there a link to a h.264 file as you requested. I have about 500+ standard DVD's ripped to the drive, so I don't fool around with other formats at this time. Maybe another decoder to try?
Yeah, please try another decoder. There are lots of MPEG2 decoders to choose from. So it'd be very important for me to know whether the problem occurs with all decoders or just with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank K Abbott View Post
I'm getting unstable playback and stuttering when playing with CoreAVC, using 3dlut and yCMS and the default upsampling and downsampling settings with a 720p or 1080p file. ATi Mobility Radeon 4570 1GB. C2D @ 2.66Ghz.
Which OS are you using? Aero on/off? Did the previous madVR version run better for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
so I've updated to the WHQL 197.77 drivers(XP SP3/384MB 96SP 8800GS), and I've tried to go windowed/fs a few times...after 2 or 3 times it froze the player completely(but didn't lock up the computer), you can see that the end of the log is desperately looking for VSYNC: http://www.mediafire.com/file/m2qymn...madVR_log1.rar
It seems that refresh rate detection fails to work properly on your PC with 0.13. This might be a consequence of the changes I implemented to make newer NVidia drivers work.

Does the display refresh rate indicator in the OSD show correct information? Does it behave differently to 0.12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
and I've got many files that give this, and that's it
I've tried CoreAVC, DivX, MPC-HC internal decoder and ffdshow. None of these decoders show that problem for me. Which decoder are you using? Can you please make sure that you have the latest version of that decoder installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
what does Available Texture Memory represent?
See here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

I'd say it's probably the combined amount of GPU RAM + AGP/PCIe memory or something like that. It's definitely not system RAM.

Quote:
Bug report

MPC-HC, 1920x1080 video, 1920x1080 display resolution. Massive lag and occasional crash when going from Fullscreen to Windowed.
Will look into this.

Quote:
Black screen VSfilter (guliverkli2) aspect ratio problem is still not fixed.
I've written a looooong comment about that, just look a few posts before the 0.13 announcement!

Quote:
Max Stats (5s) Rendering time > Movie Frame Interval = A few dropped frames.
Average Rendering time appears to be completely irrelevant as far as dropped frames are concerned.
I can't confirm that. I'm having smooth playback on my Geforce 9400 HTPC, although max rendering times are always above movie frame interval.

That said, in windowed mode rendering and presentation does fight with each other. So it's possible that if rendering blocks the GPU too long, madVR might not be able to present the next frame soon enough, which would result in a dropped frame. This problem will go away in fullscreen exclusive mode, and hopefully also in Aero when I implement a special rendering path for it.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 08:36   #2842  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've written a looooong comment about that, just look a few posts before the 0.13 announcement!
I see it now, very weird. I guess this won't be fixed unless someone familiar with the VSFilter code can give you some insight. Not that it is an extremely pressing issue since the MPC-HC VSFilter works.

Quote:
I can't confirm that. I'm having smooth playback on my Geforce 9400 HTPC, although max rendering times are always above movie frame interval.
Hmm... So you get absolutely zero dropped frames even when max rendering times are above the movie frame interval?

Could the difference I'm seeing be related to me owning an older GPU? My 7800GTX 512MB was from before the era of unified shaders which began with the 8800GTX. Would that contribute to this problem?

Quote:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

I'd say it's probably the combined amount of GPU RAM + AGP/PCIe memory or something like that. It's definitely not system RAM.
This isn't accurate at all for determining available GPU Frame-buffer. Awhile back when beta-testing CS4 for Adobe, I asked about just this and they said there is no mechanism built-in Windows for determining available (free and used) video memory. You would really need code your own in a method similar to RivaTuner or GPU-Z if you want accurate numbers. I believe they query the low-level ATI and NVIDIA driver APIs or something.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 31st May 2010 at 08:47.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 09:21   #2843  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Hmm... So you get absolutely zero dropped frames even when max rendering times are above the movie frame interval?
Yes. I do get dropped frames with Lanczos4 resampling, but I don't if I don't resample at all. And max rendering times are always higher for me than the movie frame interval.

Quote:
Could the difference I'm seeing be related to me owning an older GPU? My 7800GTX 512MB was from before the era of unified shaders which began with the 8800GTX. Would that contribute to this problem?
My integrated GPU is even older/slower than yours, I think.

Quote:
This isn't accurate at all for determining available GPU Frame-buffer.
That's why I didn't call it "available GPU memory". It is what it is. And it was useful for me in finding a GPU memory leak, which 0.12 was suffering from.
Old 31st May 2010, 09:54   #2844  |  Link
torpedo

madVR 0.13 gives a great improvment. Thx, madshi.
One question: It seems the current madVR does not support (If I was not wrong) interlaced video. Have you schduled for support of interlaced video?

Edit: Yes I'm wrong. madVR supports interlaced video. But the compatibilities currently are not goog enough. May the culprit is decoder or some other stuff.

Last edited by torpedo; 31st May 2010 at 10:59.
torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:03   #2845  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

No problems here, so far. Playback is smooth. Will test more.

Pause CPU issue is fixed.

Thanks for CTRL+R
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:42   #2846  |  Link
vucloutr

great! i can finally use madVR with my cheap GeForce 8200 which has only 8 Shader Processors.

vucloutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 12:03   #2847  |  Link
mark0077

New version working great for me, thanks Madshi. Keep up the good work.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 18:54   #2848  |  Link

0.13 is no longer smooth for me with Bicubic75 chroma on bluray video with a 9400M.

Madvr reports no dropped frames though max rendering time was around 48ms and frame time is 41ms.

Average rendering is 28ms, in 0.12 this was enough to be 100% smooth as long as the HUD was turned off.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 19:13   #2849  |  Link
racerxnet

Madshi,

I am now using the Arcsoft decoder and .013 works well. I was using the Nvidia Purevideo decoder prior and all worked fine. Evidently Purevideo and .013 don't get along. Is there a fix in the works for this?

MAK
racerxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 19:41   #2850  |  Link
mark0077

Madshi just one small issue. For example when playing 24fps blu-ray, and when I double click mpc-hc window to resize to fullscreen, or go back to windowed mode, instead of the small images being made fullscreen immediately, it seems to go through a two phase resize process where it looks like its scaled horizontally to fill the screen first, then like 0.2 of a second later, it fills the screen vertically.

Just a small niggle, but it looks kind of strange when the image is the wrong aspect ratio for that split second :P
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 20:05   #2851  |  Link
noee

After playing around with power schemes, turning reclock on and off, trying another decoder, and generally having no luck, I believe I have found the issue. It appears that if I make the HDTV primary monitor, then disable the desktop monitor, playback of 23.976 material at 24Hz with Reclock is perfect with FFdshow/Reclock/MPC-HC/madVR (defaults w/3Dlut). No stuttering and no dropped frames. Quite stunning, really.

As and aside, I also discovered that with Aero on, EVR-CP exhibits the same problem as madVR in the dual-mon setup (desktop primary @ 60Hz, playback secondary @ 24Hz). With Aero OFF, EVR-CP works great with this setup.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 20:26   #2852  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

thx for the new version madshi!
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 20:40   #2853  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Does the display refresh rate indicator in the OSD show correct information? Does it behave differently to 0.12?
0.12: 0.13:

that's w/ Reclock in auto(24fps) mode + CoreAVC CUDA, ffdshow audio+video running avisynth/winamp2 plugins. I've got a 3.5Ghz Q9450 and 2GB of PC8500 DDR2 running on XP SP3 w/o a pagefile.
Quote:
I've tried CoreAVC, DivX, MPC-HC internal decoder and ffdshow. None of these decoders show that problem for me. Which decoder are you using? Can you please make sure that you have the latest version of that decoder installed?
actually it only happens w/ the debug version, no garbage video w/ the regular distribution. using the latest CoreAVC CUDA for decoding + ffdshow post-processing.

Last edited by leeperry; 31st May 2010 at 22:26.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 20:45   #2854  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
After playing around with power schemes, turning reclock on and off, trying another decoder, and generally having no luck, I believe I have found the issue. It appears that if I make the HDTV primary monitor, then disable the desktop monitor, playback of 23.976 material at 24Hz with Reclock is perfect with FFdshow/Reclock/MPC-HC/madVR (defaults w/3Dlut). No stuttering and no dropped frames. Quite stunning, really.

As and aside, I also discovered that with Aero on, EVR-CP exhibits the same problem as madVR in the dual-mon setup (desktop primary @ 60Hz, playback secondary @ 24Hz). With Aero OFF, EVR-CP works great with this setup.
This is an issue I mentioned about with aero and a duel monitor setup. you either turn aero off or have the refresh rate of the primary display matched to the secondary... In your case secondary of 24 would mean primary of either 24, 48, 72, 96, 120, etc would be smooth with aero on
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:23   #2855  |  Link
Matching_Mole

I tried quickly the last version of madvr and indeed it is quite great and interesting. The last blocking point for me it's the missing subtitle pin renderer.

I know you was searching information about it and how implement it. I Hope you find them!

Regards.
Matching_Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:56   #2856  |  Link
ajp_anton

I have some videos that don't have a 1:1 sample AR, but madVR doesn't stretch them as other renderers do.
The videos are large, maybe I can cut out some small piece if you don't already know what's wrong.

Last edited by ajp_anton; 31st May 2010 at 22:58.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:00   #2857  |  Link
iSeries

With MadVR 0.13 - tearing at 23.976/24hz with Aero OFF seems to have been fixed. Unfortunately, for me at least, its been replaced with unwatchable stuttering. Now I get stuttering with or without Aero (W7, ATI 4550).
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 00:51   #2858  |  Link
dansrfe

Same here ^
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 07:05   #2859  |  Link
Grmpf

Madshi you're a genius ! Tearing at 23.976/24.000hz is completly gone for me (Win XP SP3 -> so no Aero, ATi 4770), i didn't had time to check the new version more deeply, but fixing the tearing issue is a *big* step imho and if i find the time i will try to switch to madvr full time now - thank you very much for your ongoing support madshi !
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 07:47   #2860  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
I have some videos that don't have a 1:1 sample AR, but madVR doesn't stretch them as other renderers do.
The videos are large, maybe I can cut out some small piece if you don't already know what's wrong.
I need samples. The more the merrier. The samples can be very short, they just need to be long enough so that I can reproduce the wrong AR. Usually 5-10MB should already be long enough. Please upload samples only if VMR9 and EVR show AR right and madVR shows it wrong. Thanks!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling