Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd December 2004, 03:10   #1  |  Link
Zarxrax

Lagarith lossless codec

I'm announcing this for my friend since he's never joined this forum. He has made a very nice lossless codec called Lagarith. It supports a number of colorspaces (RGB24, RGB32, RGBA, YUY2, and YV12). It runs at about half the speed of huffyuv, so it can work well for capturing video on most systems. The compression ratio is slightly better than corepng (I didnt enable delta frames in corepng in my test).
It is an interframe codec (all keyframes) so it works very well for editing. It does have a null frames option though, which you can enable to make it encode null frames if there is no difference from one frame to the next. It's also open source.
A reduced resolution mode is currently being implemented, which will be a extremely nice feature for video editors.

I personally use this as my standard lossless codec now, replacing huffyuv and vble. From all the lossless codecs that I have tried, it offers the best mix of compression, speed, and stability, in my opinion.

For more information and to download it, go here:
http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagarith