Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th November 2009, 03:24   #1  |  Link
Pringles

Subtitles and Windows 7

Hi, I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home edition and can't find a way to make .srt files play on Media Player Classic HC.

I tried to install VSFilter and registered the dll but the subtitles didn't play. I tried Vobsub but it didn't change anything. I read on some forums that to display subtitles on Win7 you had to rename some system file named mfpmp.exe or something. Nothing changed. Then I enabled the subs management by ffdshow but still no luck.

I'm running out of options now so if you have any ideas, thanks by advance for letting me know
Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 03:53   #2  |  Link
avivahl

Why don't you simply use the built-in subtitle renderer in MPC-HC?
Go to options and make sure "auto-load subtitles" is checked.
Also, verify that Custom EVR is your renderer (best for Windows 7).

Here, everything is working just fine w/ the latest MPC-HC on Windows 7.
avivahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 06:01   #3  |  Link
thewebchat
Advanced Blogging

There's a bug in the filter graph construction of MPC under Windows 7. Add "DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)" manually under options->external filters. This will probably force it to load directly after the decoder, so if you want to put another filter before VSFilter/DVS, you should add that one manually too. Also, ffdshow might eat the subtitle pin, so you should open the "ffdshow video decoder configuration," go to the "subtitles" filter, and uncheck "accept embedded subtitles."

Edit: For external subtitles, you may also have to set VSFilter to "autoload: always."

Last edited by thewebchat; 5th November 2009 at 06:07.
thewebchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 13:19   #4  |  Link
Pringles

Thanks, I'm going to try what you suggested. But I don't understand how I can set VSfilter to "Autoload = always" since I don't have access to it because the green arrow is not loading?

I put the vsfilter.dll in the system32 directory and registered it, like I always did in WinXP which displayed subs like a charm.
Old 5th November 2009, 18:59   #5  |  Link
Pringles

I finally got the subs to work with ffdshow, using the "add external filter" option in MPC HC.
Thanks!
Old 6th November 2009, 16:20   #6  |  Link
thewebchat
Advanced Blogging

For future reference, there is a DLL entry point that you can call with rundll32 (DirectVobSub, I think) to load the configuration page, or you can use regedit (I think it's registered under Gabest\VSFilter in HKCU\Software).
thewebchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 16:23   #7  |  Link
clsid

To access the options:
rundll32.exe vsfilter.dll,DirectVobSub
Old 14th November 2009, 21:38   #8  |  Link
kikker

Also, in order to get the external filter to load, I have to change the output renderer from EVR cust. pres. to System Default in W7. Don't expect DXVA to work with this solution.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 04:03   #9  |  Link
ShocWave

When loaded as an external filter, the subtitles do not display correcly if you are watching a video different then your monitor's aspect ratio.

4:3 videos on a 16:10 monitor have subs going past the borders of the video in fullscreen. 16:9 videos on a 16:10 also have the same problem.
ShocWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 15:50   #10  |  Link
clsid

It seems to me that you are doing something wrong then. That should not happen with DirectVobSub unless you messed with its settings.