Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 29th December 2006, 20:45   #1  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Call for script examples filtering VHS source

Could some of you filter experts give me some good advice on filtering for this source I captured from VHS. I've posted 2 clips (high bitrate xvid from lossless source). The first (notice color bleeding and slight background noise) is the intro which should probably be filtered different than the second (main movie and live action).

intro
middle

I'm not very familiar yet with advanced filtering and would greatly appreciate filter suggestions and script examples.

I'll probably have to do something in this format to isolate sections:

Code:
source=avisource("mpm.avi")
intro=source.Trim(0,1489)
mid=source.Trim(1490,82812)
end=source.Trim(82813,86031)

intro.ConvertToYV12().awarpsharp().ConvertToYUY2().peachsmoother().dctfun4b(50,50)
And if it helps to know or as you may be able to determine from the clips, there is good luma/chroma separation because this was captured with a TBC-enabled S-VHS via S-Video.

Any advice is appreciated.

Chip
chipzoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 18:17   #2  |  Link
Trixter

Quote:
captured with a TBC-enabled S-VHS via S-Video
What S-VHS model did you use and are you happy with it?

Thankfully, your source is already very good; one place to start would be something like this:

Code:
Telecide(guide=1,post=2,show=false)
Decimate()
DegrainMedian(interlaced=false)
That will return the source to 23.976fps and try to remove the film grain. That should give you something to start with if you feel you need more. Telecide may require tweaking to prevent excessive deinterlacing, so do read the documentation and follow the guide on using it.
Trixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 18:22   #3  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Quote:
What S-VHS model did you use and are you happy with it?
My (almost new) Panasonic AG-1980. And yes, it is SUPER awesome. I was astonished at the quality it was outputting from these VHS sources, but then again, the $1,600 new price tag would make one expect such results.

Quote:
That will return the source to 23.976fps
I don't think I'm going to IVTC the source because it's destined for a DVD.
Old 30th December 2006, 20:24   #4  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

Anyways it is better to IVTC the source.
There mainly are two reasons:
1) Most common filters only work with progressive footage
2) 24fps yields better quality than 60i when compressing to DVD

Of course, if the video is a hybrid (24p, 30p and 60i mixed) then IVTC isn't a good idea.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 21:15   #5  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Scharfis,
Quote:
2) 24fps yields better quality than 60i when compressing to DVD
In what way is quality better? I'm using CCE to convert to MPEG2 and the tests I've done (without IVTCing) look very nice. I would, of course, like to do everything I can to increase visual quality anywhere possible.

I think the video is a straight telecine last I looked at both animated intro and live video footage.

Particularly with filtering, I'm trying to find an effective way to eliminate the color bleeding in the animated intro (see first post for link). I've searched and found a few posts that use fft3dfilter, but playing with the sigma and plane settings does nothing. Should I be trying something different for color bleeding?

Last edited by chipzoller; 30th December 2006 at 21:45.
Old 30th December 2006, 23:23   #6  |  Link
Trixter

How much did you pay for the Panasonic AG-1980?

And yes, you do want to IVTC because you'll be able to:
  1. Fit more quality into the same bitrate (bitrate needs to service 23.976 fps instead of 29.97 fps)
  2. Enable true progressive display on players and displays that support it

All you need to do after encoding your 23.976 source to mpeg-2 is to add the 2:3 pulldown flags with dgpulldown by Donald Graft. I do it all the time and everything displays fine on my real tube CRT television.
Trixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 01:39   #7  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Quote:
All you need to do after encoding your 23.976 source to mpeg-2 is to add the 2:3 pulldown flags with dgpulldown by Donald Graft. I do it all the time and everything displays fine on my real tube CRT television.
CCE will do this when converting to MPEG2 also.

Quote:
How much did you pay for the Panasonic AG-1980?
I got a really good deal on it at $350. It had only been used a couple times and then stored. It's Panasonic's top of the line player
Old 13th January 2007, 03:41   #8  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Can anyone assist with denoise filtering (in the middle section at least) with something like fft3dfilter? I've tried many many times to configure it to best suit the source but the results are almost null. I'd like to consider some sharpening afterwards, something like seesaw.

Would someone be willing to take a look at the mid section for me and advise, if nothing else, on a good fft3dfilter config?
Old 13th January 2007, 19:49   #9  |  Link
zilog jones

This:

Code:
FFT3DFilter(sigma=6,plane=3,bw=32,bh=32,bt=3,ow=16,oh=16, interlaced=true)
Seems to smooth out the chroma noise a bit. Usually works pretty well with my VHS caps anyway (get rid of the "interlaced" part if you're doing IVTC before of course). I probably stole those settings off someone else here
zilog jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 21:26   #10  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Thanks for your example. I used this and modified it just a little to be:

Code:
AssumeTFF()
Interp = SeparateFields().SelectEven().EEDI2(field=1)
Deinted=TDeint(order=1,field=1,edeint=Interp)
TFM(order=1, Clip2=Deinted)
TDecimate(mode=1)

FFT3DFilter(sigma=6.0,plane=4,bw=32,bh=32,bt=3,ow=16,oh=16, sharpen=1.0)
Here is plane=3 and here is plane=4

Is plane=4 a bit much in this case? Perhaps too smooth?

Also, I'd like to use jdl-applyrange to isolate and filter the intro. and credits with one set and the middle (live action) with another, only when I read the cautions in the file it says not to use it with anything that modifies frame rate. How can I used this if I have to IVTC?

As for the intro. and credits (which are animated), I specifically want to get rid of the chroma bleeding in this example as well as denoise some clicks and scratches as can be seen from the clip in my first post. Any ideas?
Or can at least someone tell me what appears to be the biggest problem in the clip (the proper noise name) from the standpoint of filterability? I've been scouring the forums for the past 6 hours and trying every derainbowing and colorbleeding script and plugin I could find with the results either not affecting the target noise or affecting the picture in other ways.
I'm going to petition my university for an "AviSynth Filtering 1101" class I think

Last edited by chipzoller; 14th January 2007 at 03:49.