Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 7th March 2005, 15:59   #41  |  Link
valnar

Nice looking program.

From a Realvideo illiterate, are there any benefits to using the Real compression vs XVID or DivX? Just curious.

Robert
valnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 19:06   #42  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by snowcrash
I'm starting to question myself now. I'm wondering if maybe the encoding was still going and I just didn't wait long enough to see the progress bar move. I could have sworn they were stalled but now I have some doubts so let me see if I can confirm that there's really a problem before we go into troubleshooting it. THanks.
There are some ways you can troubleshoot this:
0) Before encoding, enable PSNR log (reg key)
1) in Task Manager, make sure it is producer.exe that is using 100% CPU. If not, the problem is elsewhere.
2) if producer.exe is using 100%, find rv9log.txt. Should be in producer's 'current' directory, usually either the same folder as producer.exe, or the working folder (where the source files are). a_afra should be able to let us know where, or I may try myself later today. Check if this file (rv9log.txt) is still updating. Cygwin 'tail -f' or just open in editor and check if frames are appended to the end of this file. If rv9log.txt is constantly updating, encoding is not frozen. Be patient...

Hope this helps.
Old 7th March 2005, 19:12   #43  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally posted by valnar
From a Realvideo illiterate, are there any benefits to using the Real compression vs XVID or DivX? Just curious.
Yes. IMO, better quality for low and medium bitrate. Just try and judge for yourself
Old 7th March 2005, 20:28   #44  |  Link
a_afra

rv9log.txt is located in the "<job>\.fskj" hidden directory (<job> is the output path of the job).
a_afra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 21:11   #45  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

a_afra, In future versions is there any plans that the user may have the ability to preview the audio streams and the ability to play the video with audio like the current DVDShrink GUI does?

Also any chance for cutting. I would love the ability to make some small clips of my favorite scenes.

Thanks for such a great app!
jfcarbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 13:48   #46  |  Link
a_afra

You can preview the video with audio in the final step of creating a new job ("Configuration") by clicking on the Preview button in the bottem left corner of the window.

I don't think that I will have time to implement editing, but a simple trimming function (cut from the beginning and the end of the title) will come soon!
Old 9th March 2005, 00:59   #47  |  Link
snowcrash

Today I reencoded one of the movies that I thought failed before and now I realize why I was confused. The Filmshrink progress meter doesn't seem to work. I watched the job for the last 3 hours and the progress meter showed 26% the whole time. Eventually it did finish though and I got my encoded movie. I don't really care that the progress meter doesn't work, as long as it gets the job done.
snowcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 12:21   #48  |  Link
WorBry

Snowcrash. I've observed the same, although in my experience the progress meter doesnt move at all. For some time I kept aborting the job after 15 minutes or so, thinking that nothing was encoding, particularly when I could see no files in the created output folder. Personally, I think it would be helpful if this bug could be fixed.

Last edited by WorBry; 9th March 2005 at 12:24.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 17:10   #49  |  Link
a_afra

In what cases did the progress meter freeze (for every job or for only a few of them)? What encoding complexity did you choose? I'm trying to fix this bug, but I need your help, so please answer these questions if possible!

Also please download the following archive file which contains a debug version of "FilmShrink.exe":
http://filmshrink.sourceforge.net/Fi..._debug_exe.rar

This a newer version, so it is possible that the bug won't show up, but I think it will. Extract it to your FilmShrink folder, run it, and start encoding a job with which you had freezing problems. Wait till it reaches the freezing point (+ 15 minutes) then stop it and close the app. Copy the newly created "filmshrink_enc.log" file located in "C:\" to a different directory (to make a backup) and post it as an attachment or send me via e-mail (even if the bug doesn't show up). If you manage to do this, I'm sure I will be able to fix the bug. Thanks!

Last edited by a_afra; 9th March 2005 at 19:25.
Old 15th March 2005, 17:45   #50  |  Link
the-warriners

The first disk i tried it on worked fine but ever since then i have had problems.
It keeps stopping at 26%, same as someone else reported. I was using standard settings apart form manual resize to 360x240 for pocket pc and it was running on idle priority.

It took about 1 hour to get to 26% and then remained on 26% for 30 minutes until i killed it. Producer process was jumping around cpu usage in task manager between 40 and 95% so it was still running - just that the progress bar wasnt moving.

Anything else i can do to help?
the-warriners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2005, 18:57   #51  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Hmm, 26% in both cases. In a 2 pass encode, that's ~about the relative percentage of time the 1st pass would take, I think. Perhaps the progress meter gets stuck after Producer is done with the 1st pass...?
Old 15th March 2005, 21:33   #52  |  Link
a_afra

Exactly! If anybody encounters this bug, PLEASE HELP ME by following the steps (related to the debug version) described in my previous post. I will also need the "producer.log" and "producer.pref" files located in "<FilmShrink>\producer". Thanks!
Old 15th March 2005, 21:36   #53  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I tried to reproduce it this morning, but it kept going past 26%. I aborted at 45%. I checked rv9log.txt to see that it had started 2nd pass. There is no visual indication in the GUI for pass #, right?
Old 16th March 2005, 15:04   #54  |  Link
a_afra

Yes, there is no visual indication in the GUI for pass #, but I will soon implement this feature. Currently I'm trying to fix this progress meter bug, but unfortunately I couldn't reproduce it so far. This is why I need the files created by the debug version mentioned in my previous posts.

the-warriners: I need your help! Please check your private messages!
Old 16th March 2005, 16:50   #55  |  Link
the-warriners

I just tried it on my work pc with your debug version and it is currently at 32%. I dont have the same dvd source however as before.

I will try it again later at home on the disk that was causing problems and let you know.

On another subject do you have any plans to add features so i can easily convert a dvd to real format in such a way as i can view it on a pocket pc (this is what caught my eye with your product originally)
It would need to resize and reduce the framerate i guess, so the output was around say 100mb

I tried it with the current version and it wouldnt play. I think this might be that the current realone player only handles real video 9 - would this be a problem? Could you target earlier versions?

Thanks
the-warriners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2005, 20:49   #56  |  Link
a_afra

I will soon add a Mobile/Pocket PC compatibility option, which will automatically adjust the codec settings (for example Nokia phones require RealVideo 8). Currently I don't know exactly which are the proper settings for the different mobile platforms, but if someone else does, please let me know about it!

Last edited by a_afra; 16th March 2005 at 21:09.
Old 17th March 2005, 15:50   #57  |  Link
MSlv

I have a delicate question:
Which program is better quality-wise? Filmshrink or AutoRV10?
MSlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2005, 19:49   #58  |  Link
TheResonator

x264

Is anybody planning to adapt this wonderful program to x264 ?
TheResonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2005, 20:08   #59  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by MSlv
I have a delicate question:
Which program is better quality-wise? Filmshrink or AutoRV10?
The underlying codec is the same, so if you choose the same settings in both, you should get the exact same quality. How the two programs work, their visual appearance, and the functionality they offer, is quite different though.
Old 24th March 2005, 21:09   #60  |  Link
a_afra

FilmShrink 0.3.0 Beta is out! The progress meter bug has been fixed, because the tool now uses the Helix Producer SDK instead of the command-line encoder. It also supports importing analysis data from pending jobs (you don't have to analyze a DVD more than once!), visual crop adjustment, more precise progress indication and bugfixes. Looking forward to feedback...