Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th January 2012, 11:25   #241  |  Link
hello_hello

I don't know whether it's an MKVCleaver problem or not, but I was kind of surprised to discover this extraction bug was still being reported, then I looked at the image in post #231...

When I upgraded MKVToolnix to the "problem" version, MKVCleaver was definitely broken for me. Upgrading to 5.2.1 fixed it.
It's probably just habit but I always extract streams by selecting them under the batch mode section on the right of the MKVCleaver GUI. After reading post #231 I tried an extraction by selecting the streams in the left pane. Sure enough, I got the same error. I tried again using the same file and the right pane and MKVCleaver extracted everything without a problem.

I'd have assumed from that it's likely to be an MKVCleaver problem..... given it'll extract streams, or not, according to how you select them. Then again, MKVCleaver hasn't been updated for a reasonable period of time (I don't think) so I assume extracting has worked either way until recently?

If it matters I'm running XP and using MKVCleaver 0.5.0.3

Last edited by hello_hello; 9th January 2012 at 11:37.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 03:23   #242  |  Link
sheck

Bug Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I don't know whether it's an MKVCleaver problem or not, but I was kind of surprised to discover this extraction bug was still being reported, then I looked at the image in post #231...

When I upgraded MKVToolnix to the "problem" version, MKVCleaver was definitely broken for me. Upgrading to 5.2.1 fixed it.
It's probably just habit but I always extract streams by selecting them under the batch mode section on the right of the MKVCleaver GUI. After reading post #231 I tried an extraction by selecting the streams in the left pane. Sure enough, I got the same error. I tried again using the same file and the right pane and MKVCleaver extracted everything without a problem.

I'd have assumed from that it's likely to be an MKVCleaver problem..... given it'll extract streams, or not, according to how you select them. Then again, MKVCleaver hasn't been updated for a reasonable period of time (I don't think) so I assume extracting has worked either way until recently?

If it matters I'm running XP and using MKVCleaver 0.5.0.3
I confirmed it. Thanks hello_hello, you saved me a bunch of time.

Anyways, mediainfo.dll still marks IDs starting from 1 that's why the error occurs. It's easy to fix, but I will have to check with Zenitram first. If he's going to change mediainfo code to accommodate new mkvtoolnix ID assignments then there is no point in changing my code twice.
Old 15th January 2012, 04:56   #243  |  Link
sheck

Patch released

A patched version of MKVcleaver is now available. Version 0.5.0.4 is modified to only work with MkvToolNix 5.2.1.0 or newer. It is not a full version, just a patched executable and mediainfo.dll. You must have version 0.5.0.3 already installed (portable or MSI). Only 32 bit version is available at the moment.

Do not use version 0.5.0.4 if you have older version of MkvToolNix.
Old 15th January 2012, 23:36   #244  |  Link
sheck

64 bit version is now available.
Old 18th January 2012, 18:39   #245  |  Link
sialivi

@sheck
Both the 32 and 64-bit portable versions in the first post are 0.5.0.3
sialivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 22:51   #246  |  Link
sneaker_ger

As he said: he does not offer a full package for 0.5.0.4 at the moment.
The patches are available on the google page:
http://code.google.com/p/mkvcleaver/downloads/list
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 04:10   #247  |  Link
sheck

You can also get the files from my download page which is listed on the first post.

Thanks sneaker_ger.
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:05   #248  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Thank you for the update. Perhaps you can make it version aware by running "mkvextract -V" and parsing the response.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:06   #249  |  Link
sheck

It is version aware already. 0.5.0.4 won't work with mkvtoolnix version earlier than 5.2.1.0. Have you tried using MKVcleaver 0.5.0.4 with earlier version ?
Old 30th January 2012, 06:11   #250  |  Link
73ChargerFan

No, I didn't try. I was thinking, that if the change is from 0 based index to a 1 based index, then the code could switch between the two depending on a version check. Of course, it probably isn't necessary, because you could just say it's to be used with the most current release.

Again, Thank You! I use it about once a week, and it is a real time saver.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 15:54   #251  |  Link
sheck

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Yes, MKVcleaver 0.5.0.4 will only work with mkvtollnix version 5.2.1.0 or newer, because it's a patch. The next version will work with all mkvtoolnix versions and will be able to detect which one is being executed.
Old 5th February 2012, 23:28   #252  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Is anyone able to extract attachments? I'm using 0.5.0.4 + mkvtoolnix 5.2.1 (latest pre) and I cannot get attachments to extract. It will take a second and report the successful extraction, but no file was actually created. The log just shows:
"Extracting Items - attachments
Done"
Old 6th February 2012, 06:52   #253  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Is anyone able to extract attachments? I'm using 0.5.0.4 + mkvtoolnix 5.2.1 (latest pre) and I cannot get attachments to extract. It will take a second and report the successful extraction, but no file was actually created. The log just shows:
"Extracting Items - attachments
Done"
That seems weird. I'm using v0.5.0.4 + mkvtoolnix 5.2.1 (build 402) and I can extract attachments just fine. Are you sure your mkv have attachments?
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 07:10   #254  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Thank you for your answer.

I'm sure they have attachments, but you are correct in that it does not seem to affect all files. The one that does not work has a whole lot of them, like 50, so maybe it has something to do with their number being too high or mkvcleaver's command line getting too long? Sadly, mkvcleaver's log is not very verbose.

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 6th February 2012 at 07:13.
Old 6th February 2012, 08:36   #255  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
The one that does not work has a whole lot of them, like 50, so maybe it has something to do with their number being too high or mkvcleaver's command line getting too long?
I can confirm this issue, and I think it's because mkvcleaver's command line is exceeded command-line string limitation in this case.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 08:57   #256  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The incredibly limited length of Windows' command line arguments is the reason I created option files that work with all of the programs, not just with mkvextract (search for "@option-file" on that web page).

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 09:00   #257  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I see.
So mkvcleaver might have to split too long command into multiple calls to make it work on all files.

/edit:
Hadn't seen your post yet, Mosu. An options file sounds like a good solution.
Already had a feature request posted to your bugtracker, which I still think would be useful. Especially for batching. Also the extract GUIs seem to break every now and then...

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 6th February 2012 at 09:05.
Old 8th February 2012, 03:04   #258  |  Link
sheck

Hmm...

Can anyone post the full path to an mkv file that causes the problem ? I would like to create the same structure on my system and see what causes it. Max file path length is 256 characters. Can anyone confirm if this issue exists with older MKVcleaver and mkvtoolnix ?
Old 9th February 2012, 02:27   #259  |  Link
johnsonlam

Thanks sheck, the patched version works properly.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:32   #260  |  Link
johnsonlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheck View Post
Hmm...

Can anyone post the full path to an mkv file that causes the problem ? I would like to create the same structure on my system and see what causes it. Max file path length is 256 characters. Can anyone confirm if this issue exists with older MKVcleaver and mkvtoolnix ?
Hi sheck,

I guess it's not matter with the MKV video's path, my video is in "F:\anime\ano natsu de matteru" and the patched version just work fine, the older v0503 crash immediately.

The older mkvtoolnix did not have this problem.

Tags
batch extract, extractor, matroska, mkv, mkv batch, mkv decoder, mkvextract