Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 3rd April 2002, 22:24   #1  |  Link
kevinswystun

Burning – Image File vs. UDF/ISO Project

I have read guides on how to create and burn an image file. I am wondering which method will help lessen glitches, which is better for playback quality.

I am currently burning name brand DVD-R only, Apple, TDK, Pioneer with Nero, using the UDF/ISO method (i.e. a Video_TS folder with all needed .Ifo & .Vob files). The standalone plays it, but sometimes glitches appear (this may not be a burn problem) 30 seconds into a chapter it will jump ahead to the next chapter. If I hit the rewind chapter button on the remote and go back to the previously jump chapter, it will hesitate slightly and get a little blocky at the point it jumped ahead before, but will not jump ahead again. This never happens with a DVD-RW, (but that media is too expensive) or if I play it back on a software player from the hard drive.

Is anyone experiencing this problem? Which method is better?
kevinswystun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 01:08   #2  |  Link
wakebrder

If you're using high quality media, Nero is most likely your problem. Try creating an image file with IFOEdit and burning with Prassi. The media also definitely makes a difference. I get pixelization/freezing with all the cheap brands I've tried so far. Pioneer & Apple play flawlessly in my JVC XASA75BK. It would not even recognize discs burned with Nero! (Of course I figured this out after buying/returning 3 different settop players) Give it a shot and post your results. Good luck!
wakebrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 02:11   #3  |  Link
Markab

If you want to use Nero be sure you are using the latest version. Earlier versions are said to said to have problems creating DVD's. I'm using the most recent version and have no problems creating DVD's.
Hope this helps.
Mark
Markab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 03:01   #4  |  Link
wakebrder

It all depends on the media & settop player, but I was having problems with Nero 5.5.7.8. I just think your DVD-R will be compatible with MORE settops if you burn an image with something other than nero.
Old 4th April 2002, 16:51   #5  |  Link
sundance

wakebrder,
is Prassi the only burning app that can deal with IfoEdit images?
Do you know if there's a demo available?

-sundance-
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 18:43   #6  |  Link
erwan

recordnow max

hi,
im using recordnow max to burn (both ifo images or vob files).
burning engine is said to be the same as prassi.
a full demo is avaible on the web site.
im using appel or pionner media (dvd-r and dvd-rw).

and never had any troubles.

thought this might help.

Erwan
erwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 18:47   #7  |  Link
wakebrder

I think just about any burning software can deal with image files. Even a simple program like Fireburner could work (if it has DVD support)? I use Prassi because it came with my Pioneer A03 and I've heard good things about it. Not sure about a demo. Do a search on burning programs and you should come up with some others. Gear Pro comes to mind. You should be able to burn your image with IFOedit also, but I haven't got this to work. You might even try burning an image file with Nero....could give better results. I've read in other posts/guides that Nero doesn't produce %100 compliant DVDs though.
Old 4th April 2002, 20:09   #8  |  Link
Markab

Quote:
Originally posted by wakebrder
It all depends on the media & settop player, but I was having problems with Nero 5.5.7.8. I just think your DVD-R will be compatible with MORE settops if you burn an image with something other than nero.
Hmmm there must be something I'm missing here. If a dvd is created with Nero or any other authuring software and plays successfully in a table top player shouldn't it play in every table top player providing it can read the media and it is built to industry DVD specs?
Perhaps your problem wasn't with Nero.
Mark
Markab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 20:17   #9  |  Link
sundance

erwan:
What version of Recordmax Now are you using?
(I also use Apple DVD-R media and a Pioneer-A03 recorder)

wakebrder:
Since I don't know the specification of the IfoEdit image file I have some doubts that Nero could do the job although I'd like this best as I try to keep the number of burning programs as small as possible...
IfoEdit's burning capabilities (I think) are very limited as Derrow once posted that it don't work for most people.

Until now I've been recording some DVD-R with Nero 5.5.7.8 (creating an UDF disc from the IfoEdit files) and they all work flawlessly on my Pioneer standalone. But I think that using the image file method ensures that my (valueable and expensive!) DVD-Rs will also work on other players. Pioneer's players are known to be very tolerant with near spec discs...

-sundance-
Old 4th April 2002, 21:00   #10  |  Link
kevinswystun

To: Erwan

You said you use Apple and Pioneer DVD-R’s. What is the best price you found to either media? I pay $5.38 US per for Apple DVD-R (including tax and shipping) at the official Internet Apple store.

To: All of you who replied

Firstly THANK you. I am going to use Prassi to burn an Image file this weekend and I will post my results.
kevinswystun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 21:08   #11  |  Link
wakebrder

Quote:
Originally posted by Markab

Hmmm there must be something I'm missing here. If a dvd is created with Nero or any other authuring software and plays successfully in a table top player shouldn't it play in every table top player providing it can read the media and it is built to industry DVD specs?
Perhaps your problem wasn't with Nero.
Mark
Yes, this should be the case, but most definitely is not. The first few DVD-Rs I made were with Nero. These played flawlessly in my parents Pioneer 525, but my JVC XASA75BK would not even recognize them (using Derrow's Nero guide with an AUDIO_TS folder) After reading that burning an image file with IFOedit would produce the most compliant DVD, I gave it a shot, tried it in my JVC, & viola! it worked! I am now on my 20th or so sucessful rip.
I'm in the process of giving away my early rips (coasters to me) to friends/family who own the 525.
I think different media, players, and burning methods all factor a part in the outcome of your disc. This is just the method I have found to be the most compatible on the largest number of players. (My Nero burned disc would only play on 5 of the 20 players I tried at Ultimate Electronics.)
BTW, I had 4 different players and 4 different kinds of media at my house for testing. I think some players are just more tolerant to different kinds of media, but Pioneer & Apple media should play on just about anything burning an IFOedit generated image file. (sorry for the long post, just trying to spare you guys the "hell" I went through)
Old 4th April 2002, 22:02   #12  |  Link
Discoboy

To: wakebrder. You mentioned the “burning an image file with IFOedit” article. What burning software did you used to burn the IFOedit created image file? Thanks for your help in advance.
Discoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 22:25   #13  |  Link
wakebrder

@Discoboy, I burned the image with Prassi 2.0. (it was included with my burner<Pioneer A03>, so I doubt it would be that difficult to "obtain")
Old 5th April 2002, 02:17   #14  |  Link
bluespot

Just something to keep in mind, I think that the image creation tool in IFOEdit has the possibility to corrupt DVDs before you burn them.

I admit, I have done about 10 successful rips using the image creation tool, but recently I had one movie that I believe was being corrupted in the image creation process. Check out my original post here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22209

The original post pretty much speaks for itself. I checked the error again that PowerDVD gave, and it was indeed 'Unknown File Type', for both discs. When I copied the burned files to my hard disc, PowerDVD gave the same error. I then replaced all the IFO and BUP files with the originals, and PowerDVD gave a different error, I can't remember exactly what it was.

The only thing that I can say for certian, is that the problem was either with the image creation tool, or PrimoDVD. And I doubt that PrimoDVD was the cause.

Because of this, I've been using Nero. I haven't had a chance to do much compatability testing, but that should change soon.
bluespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 03:21   #15  |  Link
wakebrder

Hmmmmmm...Ok...a little experiment here: I'll burn my image w/prassi and UDF/IFO project w/Nero(according to Derrows guide). Same media, same standalone. I will post results.
Old 5th April 2002, 06:26   #16  |  Link
wakebrder

AAAAAARRRGG!!! Disregard all my previous posts. Burned a sucessful DVD-R with Nero I guess you guys were right. I must've been doing something else wrong earlier. I found something that worked and stuck with it.(image + Prassi) thinking Nero was the problem. I guess maybe I'm maybe still a bit new at this to be giving advice. Sorry if I misled anyone.
Old 5th April 2002, 18:20   #17  |  Link
sundance

wakebrder:
Did the Nero UDF disc only play w/ your JVC standalone or did you also try others?
Old 5th April 2002, 20:43   #18  |  Link
jaay

i have been burning dvd-rs with nero and they always play in my pioneer settops but wont work in other brands such as onkyo etc. i do not have prassi so i cant try that - is maestro's image then burn option reliable???
jaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 21:03   #19  |  Link
wakebrder

sundance - I just returned my "last" DVD player yesterday. (Toshiba 4700) So I can't verify any other players right now. I would guarantee they would play on my old Pioneer 525 (it will play anything I throw at it) Seems Pioneer was possibly "looking ahead" to players being compatible with discs produced by the A03.
Old 5th April 2002, 21:23   #20  |  Link
wakebrder

Quote:
Originally posted by bluespot
I checked the error again that PowerDVD gave, and it was indeed 'Unknown File Type', for both discs. When I copied the burned files to my hard disc, PowerDVD gave the same error. I then replaced all the IFO and BUP files with the originals, and PowerDVD gave a different error, I can't remember exactly what it was.

I have received the same error in Power DVD at random with discs I have played (with no problems) before.
I would give the DVD player in IFOEdit a shot. It's a little crude, but generally if your project will play within IFOEdit, it should work on your standalone. If not, it will give you a better idea of what the problem is.