Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 18th June 2005, 20:11   #1  |  Link
Elias
Be Brave!

Apple QuickTime feature feedback

I made a feature request for Apple's QuickTime. You can do it too, right here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/feedback/.

Now, by just me doing it, nothing will change. However, if a lot of people from the Doom9 community (and I don't just mean 3-4 members, I mean at the very least 100 or something) do it too, I think we could change Apple's mind on this. Here are the features I requested, please, don't just copy what I've written below, and paste them to Apple, they'd think it was some joke or something. Make up similar features if you want.

Quote:
*VBR (Variable BitRate) encoding for MPEG-4 AAC Audio.

*HE-AAC encoding/decoding. LC-AAC is cool, but why exclude HE?

*ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) encoding/decoding for MPEG-4 Part 2. It's a shame to have an MPEG-4 video codec, and not support B-Frames (B-Vop), Q-Pel, GMC and other cool features that will help increase quality.

*Anamorphic Aspect Ratio (Picture Aspect Ratio) like XviD, encoding/decoding.

*MPEG-4 Timed Text (ISO/IEC 14496-17) in the *.mp4 container, and not just in the *.3gp container. The fourCC tx3g works in the *.mp4 container too. From what I've heard, MPEG-4 Timed Text and 3GPP Timed Text are exactly the same when placed in the MPEG-4 container. So what's the problem?

*Higher bitrates than 320 kbit/s for AAC encoding.

*Encode all your movie trailers in MPEG-4 video/audio and the *.mp4 container. Seriously, the Sorenson video codec is ancient, and gives bad quality. Plus MPEG-4 is cooler.

*Minimum/Maximum Quantizer settings available for more expert encoding mode (like Nero Digital/XviD).

*Improve, tweak and optimise your MPEG-4 video code (yes, code and not codec in this case) more often. Seriously, although being fully MPEG-4 compliant, the visual quality is very bad. Your MPEG-4 Audio codec is considered the best in comparison with all other AAC encoders, but as far as your MPEG-4 video goes, it's really not that powerful. XviD, despite being open source/GPL has a source code far better than the one in your MPEG-4 Simple Profile codec. I'm sure, that Apple (which is one of the largest companies in the world), can do better than that. But I could be wrong. And from what I hear, x264 has also become way superior to your AVC/h.264 codec.

*Tags for the *.mp4 container, like iTunes and Winamp (not sure if they use the same meta tag though). Well, in case you don't know what kind of tags, just to be on the safe side, I meant something like id3v2 tags in mp3 files.

*Surround sound encoding/decoding. I've heard that QTPro 7 will support this, if so, forget about this feature request.

*Full screen decoding. Okay, so we all know that you need to make money, but don't you think that offering full screen in the pay-version only is a little bit of a cheap shot? I do.

*Optimise your video decoding in the QuickTime Player. Seriously, every video I watch that has a resolution higher than 480x360 or just a high bitrate, is really choppy at best. And yes, my computer is able to handle video files with much higher resolutions when I play the exact same files in VLC (VideoLAN Client media player) or any other player that uses the official XviD/DivX codecs (they're MPEG-4 too, you know)

*Official Apple Linux version of QuickTime 7 Pro. A direct port of your Windows/Mac version, with no changes. A Linux installer (much like the one Firefox uses) would be great, that way, every Linux distribution can install it without any hassle.
So why am I making this request from Apple? Because I think it would rule if they would improve their software, and it sure would help popularise MPEG-4 a lot too. Not that MPEG-4 ASP needs more popularity, but there are other aspects of MPEG-4, like LC/HE-AAC, Timed Text, the *.mp4 container in itself (no, it's far from popular today), and lots of other stuff I'm sure I don't even know. Well, it's your call.

Last edited by Elias; 18th June 2005 at 20:15.
Elias is offline   Reply With Quote