Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd March 2018, 10:21   #49381  |  Link
mytbyte

Why not try EVR to confirm it's a MadVR issue?

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:39   #49382  |  Link
Knight77

I remember someone pointed this out in the past but for what I remember (if I missed something I'm sorry) has not been "solved": with HDR active the subtitles are really too bright, is there any way to have different subs brightness when HDR is active? With normal video the colour and the brightness is fine but with HDR the subs are really unbearable.

EDIT: I found the original discussion

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov
Since madVR is smart enough to turn on the HDR mode on the TV and get specular highlights in 1000+ nits (well ~500 nits on this OLED TV) while maintaining the rest of the picture at lower levels ... or even much lower in dark scenes ... the rendered subtitles (which by default are "white" - RGB 255,255,255) are blindingly bright and they have much greater area than a specular highlight and are almost hurting the eyes. This got me thinking if the way madVR and XySubFilter that I use are actually rendering the subtitles is correct. On one side XySubFilter doesn't know if the subs are rendered over an HDR or SDR video ... I think ... and the preference for font color it uses is always the same ... which makes me believe that it's madVR's job to lower the brightness of the color/white in some way (f.e. 255,255,255 = 100 nits as per SDR spec) but on the other side if there is some color/brightness information in the SRT file (I'm not 100% sure if it's possible but with other external subtitles formats it is AFAIK) how should madVR react?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Good question! Will have to add this to my to-do list. I suppose subtitles should probably never be brighter than 100 nits. So maybe I need to post process the subtitles to enforce them to not be too bright...

Last edited by Knight77; 3rd March 2018 at 11:44.
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:32   #49383  |  Link
el Filou

@Rippner : I bet it's an issue with Copy-Back mode. Is your system RAM running at the same settings as with the previous motherboard? Check also PCI Express bus power saving settings if you can find some.
Old 3rd March 2018, 19:30   #49384  |  Link
lansing

How do I stop madvr from enforcing my playback frame rate to match the displaying refresh rate? I'm playing a 24fps video in mpc and it kept forcing it to 60fps. I tried turning off all the deinterlacing options I can find but that doesn't help.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 20:18   #49385  |  Link
Redemption80

Rippner, i',m actually having a similar issue, but with 1080p content on a GTX 970.

6 months of using MadVR and everything has been fine, but the last few weeks every so often it's turning into a slideshow. I left my poor three year old to watch something and came back to see that it had dropped over 11,000 frames.

I was actually blaming Mediaportal as it's old and prone to bugs, but i have also just downloaded every Nvidia driver from 388.43 to 391.03 to try out tonight.

Also, i can't seem to get Optimise to work with JRiver, always states Not Measured Yet, even after an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
How do I stop madvr from enforcing my playback frame rate to match the displaying refresh rate? I'm playing a 24fps video in mpc and it kept forcing it to 60fps. I tried turning off all the deinterlacing options I can find but that doesn't help.
Do you mean stop it forcing it to 60hz?

If so, then you need to add 1080p24, 2160p24 etc.. in the display modes, then list all display modes madVR may switch to: option for your screen.

Last edited by Redemption80; 3rd March 2018 at 20:28.
Redemption80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 20:26   #49386  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
what display mode are you using?
by default madVR leaves the refreshrate as it is.

@Redemption80
if you are playing HEVC content too like him be aware your card can't decode it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 20:44   #49387  |  Link
Redemption80

Thanks for the response huhn, but no it's not HEVC content as i have none. Alot is stuff that has been on there for a while now and and watched quite frequently.

I've been having the issue for a few weeks now, at first i blamed fast ring W10 updates, but rolling back to previous ones made no difference, even going back to Fall Creators Update made no difference.

I was actually thinking it may be related just to my PC as i was seeing no one else with this issue, and when MadVR has not been updated since then i wasn't blaming that. I will see what results my driver testing brings.

Planning on dual booting a stable W10 with one i can test stuff on, as this has been a pita lol.
Redemption80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 21:20   #49388  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption80 View Post
Do you mean stop it forcing it to 60hz?

If so, then you need to add 1080p24, 2160p24 etc.. in the display modes, then list all display modes madVR may switch to: option for your screen.
I want the video to play at 24fps. I added 1080p23 to the display mode, it doesn't work. I even tried disabling the display mode altogether, still the video is playing at 60fps.
Old 3rd March 2018, 21:23   #49389  |  Link
huhn

for both of you. can you please try this:

try mpc-hc and see if the problem persist there too.
if the problem happens post me your filter list plz.
play -> filter-> "copy filter to..."
post a screen of GPU-Z sensors too plz.
a task manager screen would be nice too.
a new madVR OSD would be nice too with ShowRenderSteps may help too.
go to the madVR folder and create a new folder named ShowRenderSteps

all of this in playback not >paused< and only with mpc-hc the rest comes later.
Old 3rd March 2018, 21:24   #49390  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I want the video to play at 24fps. I added 1080p23 to the display mode, it doesn't work. I even tried disabling the display mode altogether, still the video is playing at 60fps.
does your screen even support 23p?
Old 3rd March 2018, 21:31   #49391  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi. someone with experience to create a 3dlut for HDR content with Calman? Is there any guide or manual to consult?
Old 3rd March 2018, 21:51   #49392  |  Link
huhn

your task manager doesn't have GPU informations and you have a really high CPU load if this is hardware decoded. so this isn't the newest version windows 10 isn't it?
can you click on - LAV Video Decoder (internal) and check which decoder is used.

try to run GPU-Z go to the graphic card page and search for a small "?" on the right side next to the PCIe... press it and and run the test for a couple of setting and check the PCIe speed.

the card is a kalmx correct?
Old 3rd March 2018, 22:01   #49393  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
does your screen even support 23p?
It was in the hint in the madvr ui to write 23.976 as 23.

Here is the filter list
Code:
Filters currently loaded:
  - Default DirectSound Device
  - madVR
  - Audio Switcher
  - LAV Video Decoder (internal) (low merit)
  - LAV Audio Decoder
  - LAV Splitter Source (internal)
Here is the madvr osd
https://i.imgur.com/iBbETOR.jpg
Old 3rd March 2018, 22:22   #49394  |  Link
huhn

well that doesn't mean your screen can do this refreshrate.

you can check your possible under "windows key" type in display settings -> display adapter properties -> monitor.

or in your GPU driver (afaik AMD doesn't have an option for it they removed it with the crimson driver)
Old 3rd March 2018, 22:52   #49395  |  Link
huhn

did you disable the GPU trackign in the task manager?

the decoder image doesn't help if you are not running a file at the same time.

and now the important part you only have PCIe x2 v3.
what board are you using? you most likely have the card in the "wrong" slot or something even worse.
Old 3rd March 2018, 23:07   #49396  |  Link
Asmodian

x2 PCIe is usually the processor mounted in the socket badly or bent pins, each PCIe lane from the CPU has its own pins and each lane can fail individually. I have never heard of a motherboard with an electrically PCIe x2 x16 slot (only M.2 was ever x2) but I have had x16 slots turn into <x16 slots due to CPU socket mounting issues. In my case it was not enough force pushing the CPU into the socket due to trying to run without a heatspreader but I have heard of cases where bent pins or slightly off use of the retention mechanism caused the same thing.
Old 3rd March 2018, 23:12   #49397  |  Link
huhn

chill easy to know with the name of the board and...

PCIe 16 slots with mechanical 8x and electrical 4x are so common...
adding a 16 x electrical 2x is easy task for a mainboard creator.
Old 3rd March 2018, 23:18   #49398  |  Link
Asmodian

It could also be the video card mounted into the slot slightly badly. I have had a card pulled forward a little at the screw so the back wasn't quite in the slot correctly, it would only run at x4 until I reinstalled it.

Edit: the x2 PCIe connection is definitely your issue, x2 PCIe 3.0 is simply too slow for good playback. Your motherboard does have a full PCIe 3.0 x16 slot so it should be running x16. x8 would be fine, even x4 might work, but x2 is too slow.

Last edited by Asmodian; 3rd March 2018 at 23:25.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 23:21   #49399  |  Link
huhn

https://abload.de/img/gpu71p50.png that would be the interesting part.

the lavfilter you ahve open is not the lavfitler that is in use.

both of these doesn't matter anymore.
so ignore them you have way bigger problems.

first i personally would reset the bios, check all settings in it and retry it.

than i would remove and add the GPU again and retry it.
other GPU...
CPU...
other CPU...

RMA the board...
and/or something in between the lines.
Old 4th March 2018, 00:30   #49400  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

why is your target 3397x1911?? Doing that downscale will certainly push most cards on the edge, over it.

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling