Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th February 2002, 10:44   #1  |  Link
Corrado

@Doom9 : FilePlanet to reduce bandwidth?

Hi,

couldn't find this issue in other posts: Why not using "file planet" for the download of all the large software packages?
See here to see what's File Planet

Maybe this specific server is not suited for the kind of software coming from Doom9 (they seem more game-oriented), but the idea remains (selecting a similar service or asking flieplanet if they want to expand their sw 'portfolio').

This is how it works:
You place the files on their servers and they make the business: free (slower) downloads or, for subscribers, faster no-wait downloads.

In this way, who doesn't want to pay just waits a little bit more, the others can get more privilege, but everyone can download. And you save your bandwidth for forums and guides.

Comments?

Corrado
Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2002, 12:04   #2  |  Link
KoVaR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
fileplanet is SICK
i wanted to dl some 92 kb file
had to wait 35 mins "in line" !
their servers are always full

fileplanet realy Realy REALY SUCKS
KoVaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2002, 12:11   #3  |  Link
UHT

i used to really like fileplanet...until the introduced the subscriptions and queues, load of crap now
Old 4th February 2002, 12:14   #4  |  Link
Corrado

Well, of course I wouldn't have suggested that with such a long waiting.

I almost always find no queue (maybe because I'm not in the U.S?) and when I find it, it's never more than 5 minutes. And the download is really fast (downloaded 200MB+ last friday, about 1-2 min. for each 3MB file).

But maybe I'm just lucky
Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2002, 12:27   #5  |  Link
UHT

the bandwidth problem seems to be well under control now anyway, things are being implemented behind the scenes so to speak. my gknot pages including the downloads etc. have moved off to a new home to try and lighten the load and a number of methods are being put into action to prevent people copying download links