Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2016, 03:32   #40941  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Wolf View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you do that with profile groups now? Even with the new GUI? Just set srcWidth <= ??? "bicubic60ar + double scaling with NGU or NNEDI3" and srcWidth > "jinc" (since jinc disables doubling)?

I'm quite liking the new GUI so far.
I don't think there is a way with profiles to override the forced algorithms used after image doubling unfortunately.

For instance, to use Catmull-Rom AR LL for downscaling after 720p to 1080p doubling.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 04:58   #40942  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
For instance, to use Catmull-Rom AR LL for downscaling after 720p to 1080p doubling.
I recommend that everyone who wants a particular option available post a screenshot showing the improvement with your content. madshi has always been responsive to suggestions when shown real benefits.
Old 29th November 2016, 06:46   #40943  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no not at all.

most content is 23p (24000/1001 hz) and 25/50 content will judder at 120 hz.
smoothmotion is very useful for 120 HZ screen and like said before audio clock issue are fixed too.
It doesn't work. not at 120 or 144hz, it simply doesn't switch on itself unless you force it
it works only for very rare 30 fps on 144hz, it doesn't work on 120
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 07:12   #40944  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
NGU still oversharpens noticeably on mid-quality SD content. I don't want to resort to enhancements to mess with the image, I'd like to use a clean image doubler instead. But by your argument, I'm already doing it right and NGU should do well. It's simply too harsh of an upscaler.
Can you post a screenshot please? Maybe i'm testing on wrong SD content, just curious.

Quote:
Agreed. I just want to be able to use Lanczos3 AR again for luma/chroma upscaling and luma downscaling, after NGU. The new settings don't give me the same result as before. This is a regression for advanced users.
Please post comparisons, personally i'm simply curious what I can't see you can.

And you can actually use lanczos for upscaling luma/chroma but without doubling. But didn't it do the same job before?
ngu double->lanczos upscaling of doubled image if resolution was still too low pretty much negating ngu double?
Old 29th November 2016, 08:43   #40945  |  Link
Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
Can you post a screenshot please? Maybe i'm testing on wrong SD content, just curious.
I tried, anyway. NGU does have nice detail, and it's still fast. sXBR is softer overall and doesn't introduce any patterns even on higher sharpness.

Look at Deacon's hand or the windowblinds for example. There's a fuzzyness that you can spot in the cereal lettering. Look at the second house from the right, as well as the brick fence. NGU turns lines into jaggies. On the plus side it curbs ringing better than sXBR. These shots are without any further enhancements, just chroma, doubling and scaling.

Also when watching this SD stuff with compression artifacts in it, NGU makes these much more obvious in the moving picture, while sXBR tends to gloss over them. Stills don't really show this too well.

Anyway.. I don't expect you to agree with this. I like the soft-to-medium scalers the most so on that point I'm probably the odd man out.

Last edited by Schwartz; 29th November 2016 at 08:51.
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 08:53   #40946  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I think NGU wins in all of the above images... I also detest softness, so that may be why I think NGU wins

QB
Old 29th November 2016, 09:13   #40947  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
Anyway.. I don't expect you to agree with this. I like the soft-to-medium scalers the most so on that point I'm probably the odd man out.
Yeah, I don't really understand that, I hate blur, I have enough of that in real life. I think you can lower those artifacts on NGU a bit with thin edges and sharpen edges 0.5(or even lower) with AR and optional AB. Image enchantments tab, they are not resource hungry.
LumaSharpen sometimes helps, but not with every source.
You probably tried that already, works for me, maybe will for someone else.

Oh and also do not forget about soften edges in refinement.

Last edited by Backflash; 29th November 2016 at 09:37.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:32   #40948  |  Link
Mistery 73

I need your advice I have a nvidia 1070 GTX video card do you think it's worth having a GTX 1080 to make better use madVR?
Mistery 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 10:50   #40949  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistery 73 View Post
I need your advice I have a nvidia 1070 GTX video card do you think it's worth having a GTX 1080 to make better use madVR?
Upgrading from 1070 to 1080 is not worth it. Maybe upgrading to 1080Ti in january, or wait for Volta.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:57   #40950  |  Link
Mistery 73

thank you Betroz
Old 29th November 2016, 11:07   #40951  |  Link
Mistery 73

if you use two 1070 GTX graphics cards in SLI get excellent results with madVR?

Last edited by Mistery 73; 29th November 2016 at 11:09.
Old 29th November 2016, 11:11   #40952  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
No, MadVr do not support SLI.
Old 29th November 2016, 11:15   #40953  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
no, for one it doesn't support it
how fast do you want it to be? 1070 already crashes most ridiculous madvr settings
Old 29th November 2016, 11:20   #40954  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
With reclock, I have frame repeated about all nearly 5 min.
I can have the same thing or even better (6.3 min for frame repeated) if I create custom resolution with 119.88hz (exact multiple of 23.976).

With 119.88 or 120hz or reclock, I have never seen the difference. Have you a recording to see the difference?
of cause a custom resolution or reclock can fix this issue. obviously it can fix this issue.

a custom resolution is complicated to use.
reclock is resampling audio which isn't perfect.
smoothmotion is blending frame which isn't perfect but save at 120 hz and very easy to use. at least for people that read the smooth motion options...
Quote:
It doesn't work. not at 120 or 144hz, it simply doesn't switch on itself unless you force it
it works only for very rare 30 fps on 144hz, it doesn't work on 120
i'm not even starting about 144 hz and that the most common refresh rate is 59p (TV broad cast) followed by 50p (broadcast) and they will judder at?

try option two in smoothmotion.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 11:26   #40955  |  Link
Gagorian

Quote:
I use a GTX 1070 for MadVR on my HTPC for upscaling to a 65" 4k TV. I don't see that I'm limited by the GPU in any way regarding the settings for maximum quality as long as choices are kept reasonable (as in actually making a difference in quality instead of trying to max out everything).

I think the new settings dialogues are quite good and very closely correspond to the settings I would use anyway. They are much more friendly to new users. If possible, I think chroma upscaling should still be merged into the same settings menu since new users probably don't even know what the difference is. Then the settings UI would be streamlined with either simple Upscaling or Downscaling menus.

I think the problems some users are having with the new settings could be alleviated by making the use of profiles much easier with an UI. For example the workflow of adding a profile could be as such: "add new profile button" -> next up checkboxes with different content (SD, 720p23, 1080p23, 1080p60, custom etc) - select one - then enter your target monitor resolution. After that MadVR would show what scaling factor needs to be used and their respective scaling steps. For each step there would be a dropdown with selectable algos for chroma/luma (either similar auto selections for quality like now or user-selectable). If no profile is created for said content type, madVR would use the algos selected in the current menu.

Also, I agree with previous commenters that if you think a certain pre-selected algo does not produce close to the quality that your favourite choice does, why not grab a screenshot or two showing the difference on actual content? If the difference is so apparent that you can easily see it, then prove it and I'm quite sure the madshi will consider making changes The human mind really easily plays tricks on you so it's always best to actually confirm what you think you are seeing.

Last edited by Gagorian; 29th November 2016 at 11:32.
Gagorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 11:35   #40956  |  Link
rvs75

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm not saying I won't bring super-xbr back, but I need to be convinced that it's really useful/necessary.
With my old PC (I7 920, HD 7770, PCIe 2.0), super-xbr is less hungry than NNEDI and NGU even if I can use NGU low or med , ,depending original size of the video.
rvs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 12:44   #40957  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:

Please post comparisons, personally i'm simply curious what I can't see you can.

And you can actually use lanczos for upscaling luma/chroma but without doubling. But didn't it do the same job before?
ngu double->lanczos upscaling of doubled image if resolution was still too low pretty much negating ngu double?

720p to UHD, can't use only image doubling + Lanczos3 AR anymore.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 12:56   #40958  |  Link
Warlock

Which setting should I use with an onboard Intel HD4600?
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 13:15   #40959  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
reclock is resampling audio which isn't perfect.

i'm not even starting about 144 hz and that the most common refresh rate is 59p (TV broad cast) followed by 50p (broadcast) and they will judder at?

try option two in smoothmotion.
I didn't know reclock resamples audio, one more reason(besides x64) not to use it, MPCHC WASAPI support is great.

I can't tell with 24fps content if smooth motion does anything at all at 120/144hz even if I force it.

Quote:
720p to UHD, can't use only image doubling + Lanczos3 AR anymore.
But 0.91.3 looks better. More detail. It's just too slow? I see your problem then, it was a better compromise before.
Old 29th November 2016, 13:27   #40960  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I didn't know reclock resamples audio, one more reason(besides x64) not to use it, MPCHC WASAPI support is great.

I can't tell with 24fps content if smooth motion does anything at all at 120/144hz even if I force it.

if you don't see the repeated frame every ~42 secs fine but it is still there.

and you said you don't see a difference with smooth motion so it is not doing anything bad for your eyes too. so you can use it to stop repeated/dropped frames from sync issues.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling