Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th October 2003, 19:56   #1  |  Link
Snakeisthestuff

problem with joining ogg 2ch and 5.1 AC3 audio streams in one mkv file

Hi,

i want to join an 5.1 AC3 file and an 2channel ogg file + Xvid video in an mkv file. I read somwhere that this is possible with matroska now, cause i know that ogm couldnt handle this, i tried matroska.

The muxing is going fine and the playback of the 5.1 AC3 track too, but if i switch to the 2ch ogg track the movie gets some kind of choppy. I have muxed the file with the newest Vdub Mod and with mkvtoolnix, both doesnt work. Iam using the newest Matroska-splitter from gabest for playback.

Maybe someone has encountered this problem too?
I hope someone can help me.
Snakeisthestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 09:10   #2  |  Link
alexnoe
Banned

Disable lacing for the ogg audio file. That could help
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 13:38   #3  |  Link
Snakeisthestuff

thx, for the tip, but its working now for an other movie, i dont know exactly why, i think i must test this a little more.

thx anyway
Snakeisthestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2003, 23:20   #4  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

You sure have CoreVorbis installed ?
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2003, 12:43   #5  |  Link
tiki4

I had a similar problem:

Episode Two:

XviD video + 2x 5.1 AAC + 64kbps Vorbis (Director's comments) + 4 srt subtitles.

O.K. that one's a bitch, I did it for testing. Unfortunately the length of the movie is shown as 6 hours + some minutes in latest Media Player Classic and seeking is borked. Playback and channel switching works though. If I remove the Vorbis track everything is fine and seeking is possible. I did the muxing with mkvmerge 0.7.2.

Just to mention that: file plays fine in WMP 6.4 but seeking and shown length are also wrong. Switching audio works with MSS 0.98.

tiki4

Edit: Playback is like this: ffdshow (23 May) decoding with xvid.dll, CoreAAC + CoreVorbis + VSFilter.dll.
tiki4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2003, 11:30   #6  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by tiki4
XviD video + 2x 5.1 AAC + 64kbps Vorbis (Director's comments) + 4 srt subtitles.

O.K. that one's a bitch
Technically that shouldn't be a bitch at all, it's just a bunch of tracks. The container itself has no problems with that (neither does OGM), it's just DirectShow/the filters that might bork on this.

Quote:
I did it for testing. Unfortunately the length of the movie is shown as 6 hours + some minutes in latest Media Player Classic and seeking is borked.
That, however, is pretty strange. Please run 'mkvinfo yourfile.mkv > report.txt' and send me report.txt via email to moritz@bunkus.org so that I can take a look at it. And if you have some bandwidth to spare then please also run 'mkvinfo -v -v yourfile.mkv > report-long.txt', compress report-long.txt and send that one to me as well.

Thanks

Quote:
If I remove the Vorbis track everything is fine and seeking is possible. I did the muxing with mkvmerge 0.7.2.

Just to mention that: file plays fine in WMP 6.4 but seeking and shown length are also wrong. Switching audio works with MSS 0.98.
Interesting. Regarding WMP 6.4: Does seeking work, and is the length corrent when you leave out that Vorbis track again?

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.

Last edited by Mosu; 27th October 2003 at 11:54.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2003, 13:16   #7  |  Link
tiki4

Hi Mosu,

the file works, if I only have two audio tracks (5.1 AAC) and the the four subtitle streams. It doesn't matter which player. The only problem is when I add the Vorbis commentary track to the file. Seeking and shown length are problematic in MPC and WMP. Maybe this is a matter of CoreVorbis and CoreAAC loaded at the same time. I didn't see any problems with the file when mkvinfo was run over it also loading into VirtualDubMod wasn't a problem. Unfortunately I deleted the file. I may recreate it, but this takes some time. My machine is quite slow so I need for the audio 5 hours alone. If I have recreated it, I'll send you the output of mkvinfo.

Thanks,

tiki4
Old 27th October 2003, 13:24   #8  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ah ok, tiki. So if you stumble about this problem again just let me know.

Old 27th October 2003, 17:11   #9  |  Link
Eric B

I'm also using AC3 and ogg vorbis audio tracks in my mkv.
All is working great.
The only problem I have is there is sometimes some craks in the ogg vorbis audio track but only in TCMP. No problem at all with MPC.
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 10:36   #10  |  Link
tiki4

@Mosu:

Hi,

I was able to reproduce the problem yesterday. Some other content but the same movie. Now here comes the funny part: I found out that it's all the fault of two broken srt streams. Somehow SubRip 1.17.1 produces two srt files with time codes above 6 hours. The funny thing was, on Friday I ran the file with AAC + Vorbis + the .srt subtitles through VirtualDubMod in Direct Stream Copy and diabled the Vorbis track. The resulting file played without seeking problems so I must guess that VDMod somehow corrected the time codes of the broken subtitles. Dunno what that means.

Anyway, I have a 5 MB RAR file of a mkvinfo -v -v -v of the broken file so if you nevertheless want to have it... though I think you won't need it anymore.

tiki4
Old 28th October 2003, 14:26   #11  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by tiki4
Now here comes the funny part: I found out that it's all the fault of two broken srt streams. Somehow SubRip 1.17.1 produces two srt files with time codes above 6 hours.
Ah yes, interesting. No, I don't want the mkvinfo log file anymore, but I'd be interested in the SRT files If you still have them, could you send them to me please? moritz@bunkus.org

Thanks.

Old 30th October 2003, 02:51   #12  |  Link
LeonMcNichol
Chief Inspector

I remember having problems with subrip and time codes when I would try to convert directly from the vob files, but it would be fine if I did it from the sub/idx file that vobsub would put out.
LeonMcNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 09:05   #13  |  Link
tiki4

I'll give it a try, never tried that though, usually I have external subs.

tiki4

@mosu: I'll send them tomorrow, didn't have much time the last two days.