Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th July 2012, 19:01   #1  |  Link
clancy688

Is there any advantage in using a 10-bit-panel when playing videos encoded in Hi10P

Hi there~

I didn't know where to put this, I hope that this is the right location.

Anyway, I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to buy a new television or not. And if I decide to buy one, I obviously have to decide which one to get.

I already narrowed it down to two models. One is the Toshiba 46TL933G/46TL963G and the other is the Sharp 46LE730E/46LE732E.
Both sets will primarily be used with my PC, they'll be connected via HDMI and I'll use the PC for playback of everything.

But now here's the catch: I realized by chance that the Sharp TV uses a 10-bit-panel, but the Toshiba apparently doesn't.
Since I'm mainly watching videos (anime...) encoded with the Hi10 profile this immediately spawned my interest.
Are there any advantages in using a native 10 bit panel for playing "upscaled" (the source material obviously wasn't 10 bit) Hi10 vids? Will I get a better picture than with the Toshiba panel? Or is there no difference whatsoever as long as the source material wasn't 10 bit as well?

This 10 bit stuff is making it hard to decide which tv set to get. The Toshiba one is cheaper, I'd get free 3D glasses, it's newer and it has more gimmicks. The Sharp one has the 10 bit panel...

So... what can I expect out of a 10 bit panel what I can't expect out of a 8 bit one?

Thanks for all answers!

P.S.
And I'd also be interested in the general comparison of Toshiba and Sharp TVs - which ones are normally higher quality?
clancy688 is offline   Reply With Quote