Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th September 2011, 15:34   #11  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
Some 64bits pluggins can have sometime speed increase of 30%.
I've noticed, on QTMG for example, an increase speed of around 15% under 64bits.

My personnal thought, at the actual stage is :
The way MT is implemented on avisynth seems not to be very stable, so, the best way actualy to have a stable multithreading would be to not use MT version of avisynth, split your work and start several task. For exemple, launching 6 Vdub task on 6 files.
Using not MT version of avisynth keep garanty stability, and running several tasks make all your core work.
I think, it could be more interesting to focus on single threading 64bits port, because good 64bits port can provide good improvement in speed.
I've noticed it with the unfornutaly dead project of the 64 bits version begun by JoshyD.
Perhaps in abundance, but I'd like to reiterate that the advantage of the often hailed speed-improvements of a 64-bit build pales in comparison to the gained memory. Especially for HD material, memory is a constant limiting factor. For instance, when using MCTemporalDenoise, I can't even run 32-bit Avisynth, unless I use a process separation trick to pipe output to x264, using avs2yuv. And even then there are times I have to split up a movie (vertically), in two parts, in order to bypass memory issues. So a good 64-bit version of AviSynth 2.6 would be very welcome.