Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 27th April 2010, 12:35   #9921  |  Link
shambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
There is the -down16 switch. That won't do anything if the content is already 16bit and will dither down higher bitdepth content.
sure, that applies if the source has a constant bit depth. but if the source has a variable bit depth then it dithers the whole track..
Old 27th April 2010, 14:52   #9922  |  Link
DigitalLF

@tebasuna51 well... i got a very nice setup (high-end) right now that i am very happy with and i would like the best sound possible with my setup... i have non to little knowledge about downmix and flac vs. m4a but it does not sound right that a aac would be a good replacement for flac? and if we would just talk about harddrive space it is not interesting to save space i prefer good sound over high compression. is there a better lossless way to downmix?
Old 27th April 2010, 15:05   #9923  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Downmixing is never lossless.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:17   #9924  |  Link
tebasuna51

@DigitalLF,Is your choice, my choice is don't downmix and preserve the 5.1 original audio (you can downmix at play time in a stereo audio equipment)
Old 27th April 2010, 22:29   #9925  |  Link
DigitalLF

@Inspector.Gadget my bad i found some info about this after that i posted here.

@tebasuna51 well.. i got a 2.0 amp and there is no mixdown and even if there wore there would not be enough bandwidth with a optical cable. so the processing most happen in the computer.

learning how to downmix is among other things just for learning and testing to see how much cpu/mem the ffdshow mixdown requires.
Old 28th April 2010, 19:43   #9926  |  Link
Vincent Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Just let eac3to do the job.

Maybe your authoring software (at least the based in TsMuxer) need the input in WAV format (file < 4GB) or W64 format (file > 4GB) instead LPCM format (without headers).
hi tebasuna51!

correct me if i'm wrong:
-when eac3to decodes .dtshd to .lpcm it remaps the channels from correct wav order output by arcsoft decoder to blu ray order because the resultant .lpcm file is supposed to be used for blu ray authoring.
-when eac3to decodes .dtshd to .wav it does not remap the channels because the resultant .wav file is not supposed to be used for blu ray authoring but should be used as lossless source for further encoding to ac3, aac, etc.

now, if above is true, i have the following problem: i cannot import the .lpcm output of eac3to into multiavchd (it shows no tracks imported after clicking on such file), and if i use the same .lpcm after fixing it with pcm2tsmu multiavchd for some reason detects it as aac(!). only importing in .wav container works fine.

so is there a switch to get eac3to to output .wav with blu ray style channel order suitable for importing into a blu ray compilation?
Old 28th April 2010, 19:55   #9927  |  Link
b66pak

when importing .wav to bluray it will be muxed as .lpcm (.lpcm is a type of .pcm...)

if the .wav is bigger than 4gb (in 99% of the cases) then decode to .w64...
_

Last edited by b66pak; 28th April 2010 at 20:03.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:50   #9928  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
... i cannot import the .lpcm output of eac3to into multiavchd (it shows no tracks imported after clicking on such file), and if i use the same .lpcm after fixing it with pcm2tsmu multiavchd for some reason detects it as aac(!). only importing in .wav container works fine.
Forget pcm2tsmu and don't worry with the channel mapping, use wav/w64 container. Like b66pak say you all is managed correctly.
Old 29th April 2010, 02:58   #9929  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Another issue

eac3to does not identify .dts streams
(read: .cpt / .dca padded-with-zeroes for "SPDIFing")
if the bitrate is different than 754 / 1509 kbps and/or
the channel count is less than 5.1.

Example:

-- create a stereo .cpt @ 384kbps

-- use spdifer.exe for generating a "little-endian.raw"

-- use swab.exe for generating a "big-endian.raw"

MediaInfo (0.7.23BETA) recognizes only the little-endian file as DTS, and mkvmerge (3.2.0) recognizes both the big-endian and the little-endian files as DTS, — whereas eac3to fails in both cases.

<REMINDER>
Code:
Valid bitrates and sampling frequencies for "Coherent Acoustics" compression:

Bitrates (kbps) :

32  56  64  96

112 128 192 224 256 320

384 448 512 576 640 754  960

1024 1152 1234 1280 1344 1408

1411.2 1472 1509 1920 2048 3072 3840

Frequencies (kHz) :

8 11.025 12 16 22.050 24 32 44.1 48
<REMINDER>

Last edited by Midzuki; 29th April 2010 at 03:28.
Old 30th April 2010, 03:36   #9930  |  Link
oddwunn

Newbie question (and probably already answered somewhere that I can't find): On a few AnyDVD Blu-ray rips, when I try to analyze the structure, I sometimes get the message "HD DVD / Blu-Ray disc structure not found" reported by Eac3to v3.18. When I examine the structure it looks absolutely fine to me, so I don't know why Eac3to is balking at it. What tests does Eac3to run to determine proper structure? How can I "convince" Eac3to that the structure is valid? Any other ideas or suggestions?
Old 30th April 2010, 03:58   #9931  |  Link
setarip_old

@oddwunn

Hi!
Quote:
When I examine the structure it looks absolutely fine to me
Why don't you post the structure of one of your problematic BluRay discs?
Old 30th April 2010, 14:13   #9932  |  Link
oddwunn

Quote:
Why don't you post the structure of one of your problematic BluRay discs?
Hmmm...I'm not sure exactly how to do that, but I will try:
Master directory created by AnyDVD is "E:\BDROM".
Under that I have 2 directories - "BDMV" and "CERTIFICATE".

1. Under BDMV I have several directories:
AUXDATA
BACKUP
BDJO
CLIPINF
JAR
META
PLAYLIST
STREAM

and 2 files:
index.bdmv
MovieObject.bdmv

The directories "AUXDATA", "BDJO", "JAR", and "META" are all empty. The directory "BACKUP" seems to have backups of other parts of the disc. "CLIPINF" has 15 files sequentially numbered "00000.clpi" to "00014.clpi". "PLAYLIST" has 14 files numbered sequentially from "00000.mpls" to "00013.mpls". "STREAM" has 15 files numbered sequentially from "00000.m2ts" to "00014.m2ts".

2. Under CERTIFICATE I have one directory ("BACKUP") and one file ("id.bdmv"). Under that directory I have what appears to be an identical copy of "id.bdmv".

From what I know this structure looks sound to me, but apparently there is some test that Eac3to is using to determine if a valid Blu-ray structure is found and this particular rip does not pass that test.

I have done literally hundreds of Blu-ray rips and this is now the 4th time I have run into this error message from Eac3to, and all 4 of the rips looked perfectly good to me. I have tried PM'ing madshi over at AVS, but I guess he hasn't been around lately or is too busy or just not interested (not that I blame him... ). I would appreciate anyone who could help explain why Eac3to is balking at certain rips and what I can do to "convince" the program to accept the structure.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:32   #9933  |  Link
TinTime

What happens if you run eac3to against one (or all) of the playlists?

Code:
eac3to.exe 00000.mpls

Last edited by TinTime; 30th April 2010 at 14:45.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:13   #9934  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddwunn View Post
...On a few AnyDVD Blu-ray rips, when I try to analyze the structure, I sometimes get the message "HD DVD / Blu-Ray disc structure not found" reported by Eac3to v3.18....
I get the same message with the free BluRay sample from here:
http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=328%22
Old 30th April 2010, 16:53   #9935  |  Link
oddwunn

Quote:
What happens if you run eac3to against one (or all) of the playlists?
It analyzes the playlists just fine.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:20   #9936  |  Link
setarip_old

@oddwunn

1) Have you tried playing this BluRay "package" from your hard drive (AS a BluRay, NOT as individual .M2TS files)? Does it play properly?

2) I do not use AnyDVDHD, but I recall seeing that it creates another folder named (IIRC) "Sly!", that contains the remnants of the original "AACS" folder/directory.

3) What is the title and region of this particular original, commercial BluRay disc?
Old 30th April 2010, 20:48   #9937  |  Link
Snowknight26

Sounds like you're having eac3to analyze E:\ instead of E:\BDROM.
Old 1st May 2010, 00:33   #9938  |  Link
oddwunn

Quote:
1) Have you tried playing this BluRay "package" from your hard drive (AS a BluRay, NOT as individual .M2TS files)? Does it play properly?
No, I don't have a software Blu-ray player installed. I play the actual discs using a hardware player (Oppo BDP-83). I used to have a trial version of PowerDVD 9 installed, but it only played about 2 out of 10 discs that I tried, so I gave up on software players. Remuxing to .MKV has been a MUCH better solution...
Quote:
2) I do not use AnyDVDHD, but I recall seeing that it creates another folder named (IIRC) "Sly!", that contains the remnants of the original "AACS" folder/directory.
I have seen that "Sly!" directory on other people's rips, but I have never seen it with my own rips, and like I said, I have done a few hundred by now.
Quote:
3) What is the title and region of this particular original, commercial BluRay disc?
Region 1 - Stargaze HD - Universal Beauty
Quote:
Sounds like you're having eac3to analyze E:\ instead of E:\BDROM.
I made that mistake many moons ago and have long since learned where to point Eac3to when I analyze rips. I even went as far as to try renaming the parent directory in case Eac3to saw it as an illegal directory or something. But you are right, Eac3to will give you the same error message if you point it to the wrong directory.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:01   #9939  |  Link
Steel

I recently reinstalled my OS (and of course EAC3TO!!) and I am having some trouble. I have eac3to v3.18, Nero v7.9.6.0, and I also have the bluray/hd plugin installed. I keep getting the message:

Nero Audio Decoder (Nero 6 or older) doesn't seem to be installed
http://www.nero.com/eng/store-blu-ray.html
CAUTION: You need Nero 7. Nero 8 won't work with eac3to.

I have all of that, any ideas why eac3to is not recognizing it?

Also, using win7 x64. BUt that makes no difference as that is what I was using before and it all worked.

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:45   #9940  |  Link
setarip_old

@oddwunn
Quote:
Remuxing to .MKV has been a MUCH better solution...
That being said, for this problematic disc (and the other three that you alluded to), may I suggest that you try using only MakeMKV (No need for either AnyDVD or EAC3to) to, with one click, both decrypt the disc and convert to an .MKV file of the "movie only"?

Last edited by setarip_old; 2nd May 2010 at 01:53.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to