Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 20th June 2005, 23:28   #41  |  Link
Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
@Rash: I'll try stax' code to open video in the next release.. perhaps that'll change anything for you. But the problem isn't so much my fault as a generic incompatibility with that method and some part of your setup.
That's definately true. It also seems our graphs are a bit different. So here are some screens.

This one here is the error message itself. I was doing some tests today and that's what I realised: on MeGUI version 0.1.9.5 this message is displayed twice. That is, I try to open the video, the error pops up. I click OK and the error pops up again. I click OK and MeGUI's "VideoPlayer" window pops up blank (no video). Now with MeGUI versions 0.1.9.6 and 0.1.9.7 the error message pops up only once (so I press OK only once and the blank "VideoPlayer" window appears). This is all the time, I mean, it didn't happen only once but all the times I tried loading the avs in my tests (about 7 times). 0.1.9.5 twice, 0.1.9.6/7, once. Maybe you changed the way the errors are handled? Don't know, but something is different.

» http://img12.echo.cx/img12/8136/errormsg9dc.png

Now this is a screenshot from my Graphedit. The first one is with ffdshow and its info while the video is playing. The other one is the same with "User Overlay Mixer" disabled on "Output" on ffdshow. Unfortunately none of them works. But hey! There is no AVI Decompressor as you stated!

» http://img12.echo.cx/img12/9540/graphedit5ul.png
» http://img104.echo.cx/img104/3434/graphedit21jm.png

Last edited by Rash; 20th June 2005 at 23:34.
Old 21st June 2005, 00:15   #42  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

One reason of no progress might be that x264 immediately exits due to some requirements not met. For example, I had strange reactions of the .NET x264CLIgui, trying to encode a video which was not macroblock aligned:
Code:
avis [info]: 640x360 @ 25.00 fps (400 frames)
x264 [error]: width % 16 != 0 or height % 16 != 0 (640x360)
x264_encoder_open failed
Maybe here the reason is similarly simple...
Old 21st June 2005, 01:49   #43  |  Link
Rash

OK Doom9, proof the problem is here. VDubMod doesn't open my avs either.

VDubMod message
Quote:
[!] Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'YV12' (unknown).
VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to
decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media
Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this
video.
So far:
Programs that won't open: MeGUI, VDubMod
Programs that open: NeroRecode, all players, x264 cli encoder (i did some tests manually inputing on x264 and it worked)

So, if someone could help me, where do I get a YV12 decoder? Thanks a lot.
Old 21st June 2005, 03:30   #44  |  Link
absinthe

Ok, so then it's not just me with no progress bar in 0.1.9.7 .

I'm finally able to encode using just about any options I want. My only darn problem is speed. I plan to build a new box when dual core AMDs become available retail. For now, my 1.4 Ghz Athlon takes about 10x clip length to encode per pass .

This little GUI is getting better and better, doom!

-abs
Old 21st June 2005, 03:36   #45  |  Link
stax76

@Rash

didn't you notice the other MeGUI topic where I mentioned how to change the decoder, there are various other topics about this as well

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...hlight=avsedit
Old 21st June 2005, 07:54   #46  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

It is always wise to use the board search engine and insert very typical words out of the error message there. In your case, for example, search for "locate decompressor YV12".

Such an important topic as YV12 video even got its own FAQ thread, didn't you know?!
Old 21st June 2005, 08:22   #47  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Maybe you changed the way the errors are handled?
Yes I have. I changed the constructor of the preview a bit, and some other stuff that could relate to this. Because the video player is used so often I have not yet changed the way it is opened.. I plan to have an additional method that loads the video and that returns false if the video cannot loaded.. if that happens, the player will not be shown anymore.. I'm sure this will help in certain confusing scenarios where people think the video is okay even if they get an empty player. I will also change the error message to point people to opening the video in VDub as this seems to be the read test.. you can encode if it plays via DirectShow, getting the length and such will even work if I cannot get any frames, but only if you can properly open it via vfw will the video preview work.

Quote:
x264_encoder_open failed
failed should be recognized as an error and be reported back in the queue

@Ariakis: thank you for your reports.. just the level of details and work on your part that I need. Reports like this make it easy for me to get right started with the bugfixing

@lazyn00b: I'll check this out tonight.

@odyn1982: can you check posts by other people on this issue and confirm that it is the same options that are causing this problem? I can explain why it happens based on the commandline Ariakis has posted.. since --progress is not separated by the previous option, it is not taken into account.. and without --progress x264.exe doesn't send progress reports to the commandline and hence I have nothing for my own progress reports.
Old 21st June 2005, 08:52   #48  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash

VDubMod message

So far:
Programs that open: NeroRecode, all players, x264 cli encoder (i did some tests manually inputing on x264 and it worked)

have you installed xvid vfw? it should work for yv12.
Old 21st June 2005, 09:10   #49  |  Link
odyn1982

My job always looks like this:
Next job job1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"x264.exe" --bitrate 700 --ref 5 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --subme 6 --weightb --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4,i8x8 --me umh --progress --no-psnr --output "E:\DIVX\FILMY\TRAILERS\HP2\Test\new.mp4" "E:\DIVX\FILMY\TRAILERS\HP2\Test\TEST5.avs"
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1

Then I press "start", a progress window opens... and nothing happens! x264.exe is present in the process list, it seems to work, but there's no progress seen.

But if I copy the command-line from MeGUI log window, and start it from the command-line window - it works well...

Last edited by odyn1982; 21st June 2005 at 09:32.
Old 21st June 2005, 09:32   #50  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@odyn1982: does it work if you use default settings? it's THE thing to try.. naturally I cannot test every settings and in my tests I normally use the defaults (less time to set everything up). And could you add "> output.txt" to your commandline, run it again, and attach output.txt here?

Also, which version of .NET are you using? 2.0 is currently not supported (it may work.. if so, good for you, but if it doesn't, don't ask me to fix it.. I'll support 2.0 once it has become final).
Old 21st June 2005, 09:44   #51  |  Link
odyn1982

I don't understand this command "> output.txt".
I use Net 1.1 and mencoder works with megui.
Old 21st June 2005, 09:56   #52  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyn1982
I don't understand this command "> output.txt".
If you are using MeGUI v.0.1.9.7 then go to
video codec config -> more -> custom commandline options
and add "> output.txt"

This will pipe all output from x264.exe to output.txt, and you can check this file to see what problems may have arisen.
Old 21st June 2005, 10:16   #53  |  Link
odyn1982

It's strange, when I want add new custom options it doesn't work. I have one idea why: long time ago I've installed net 2.0 and then I returned to 1.1. I think that I should format my winxp but I don't have time
Old 21st June 2005, 10:19   #54  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash

VDubMod message

So far:

Just install Xvid and everything will work.

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 21st June 2005, 10:25   #55  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyn1982
It's strange, when I want add new custom options it doesn't work.
Yes, it's a bug in MeGUI. Anyway, to get it to work, you need to enter the custom options, then go to the Main tab and press ok.
Old 21st June 2005, 10:28   #56  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
A new version is out.

A word of warning: due to the format of xvid zones (they have no end frame but end just before the start of the next zone (and if there's none at the end of the video), so do not use the intro credits feature with xvid just yet (if you do, you'll end up encoding the entire video at the credits quantizer because the zone will extend from the first frame till the last (or till the end credits start, but since the end credits extend till the end and use the same quantizer it comes down to the same)).

Once the zone feature has been thoroughly tested I will add it to the remaining codecs and in the process take care of the special zone format used in XviD.
@ doom9

One question to Xvid and lavc zones: In the moment, only the second pass in both codecs are getting zones in the commandline. There are no zones in first pass. How is it possible for the encoder to reach the final size? To my opinion, there have to be zones in the first pass too

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 21st June 2005, 10:34   #57  |  Link
odyn1982

I always do like you said and nothing works
but I can use jeryll's x264CLI GUI or .bat files without problems
Old 21st June 2005, 11:22   #58  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

encoding speed

I made some more tests about the encoding speed and MeGUI seems to be slower than encoding via commandline on my machine:

avs-skript with 161frames:
Code:
#  PLUGINS
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\decomb.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\KernelDeInt.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\UnDot.dll")
#  SOURCE
mpeg2source("C:\Movies [C]\test\test.d2v")
#  TRIM
trim(68490,68651)
#  CROPPING
crop(8,72,704,432)
#  DENOISING: choose one combination (or none)
Undot()

- MeGUI with mencoder (mplayer2005.06.09.P4.): 121seconds --->1,33fps
- only mencoder (mplayer2005.06.09.P4.): 28seconds ---> 5,75fps
commandline:
Code:
"C:\Rippen\mencoder\mencoder.exe" "C:\Movies [C]\test\yyyy.avs" -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=1500:bframes=3:b_adapt:b_pyramid:weight_b:4x4mv:i4x4:i8x8 -o "C:\Movies [C]\test\test1.264" -of rawvideo
---> Progress display works fine in both

- MeGUI with x264.exe: 118seconds ---> 1,36fps
- only x264.exe: 29s ---> 5,55fps
commandline:
Code:
"C:\Rippen\x264\x264.exe" --bitrate 1500 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4,i8x8 --progress --no-psnr --output "C:\Movies [C]\test\teat1.mp4" "C:\Movies [C]\test\yyyy.avs"
--> but it's strange... sometimes (2of6 attempts) MeGUI needs ~1minute...here is the cpu-management.
--> no progress display neither in MeGUI nor in commandline...
I would post the output.txt but i can't it handle too...

Edit:

same avs encoded with x246cligui 0.1.5b needs 34seconds --> 4,73fps
Code:
--bitrate 1500 --bframe 3 --weightb --b-pyramid --8x8dct --analyse i4x4,p4x4,p8x8,b8x8,i8x8, --qpmin 10 --qpmax 51 --progress -o "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\evil.bert\Desktop\testx264cligui1.mp4" "C:\Movies [C]\test\yyyy.avs"

Last edited by kurt; 21st June 2005 at 18:11.
Old 21st June 2005, 12:31   #59  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
One question to Xvid and lavc zones:
And there I thought people were only using MeGUI for x264. I'm not getting much feedback on the whole zone thing actually, but it was a whole lot of work and quite nifty if you start using it.. I really want it to be properly tested before propagating it through everything else. Are you refering to auto-mode or video-only mode? The reason I'm asking is that job generation is completely independent in the two modes (well, almost.. I try to put everything used at least twice into separate methods but there's a lot of additional logic in auto mode).

Quote:
I don't understand this command " > output.txt".
Add this to the commandline you're running in dos. It means you won't see anything anymore, but everything is written to output.txt in the current directory.
Old 21st June 2005, 15:36   #60  |  Link
scorpdt

Audio Borked in 0.1.9.7

Hi Doom9 .... thanks for the wonderful application .... a nice revamp btw.

The audio borked again in 0.1.9.7 and I include the error message below.

Code:
aDesired size of this automated encoding series: 10240000 bytes
Next job job1-1 is an audio job. besweet commandline:
"D:\A264\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "D:\DEVDASSUB_SCN\BlackAVS\1 MPA T01 DELAY -32ms.mpa" -output "D:\DEVDASSUB_SCN\BlackAVS\123.mp4" -logfile "besweet.log" ) -bsn( -2ch -vbr_streaming -codecquality_high -aacprofile_he ) -ota( -d -32 -g max )
successfully set up audio encoder and callbacks for job job1-1
Exception when trying to update status while a job is running. Text: '2222' is not a valid value for 'value'. 'value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'. stacktrace:    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at MeGUI.MeGUI.UpdateGUIStatus(StatusUpdate su)
I have the sample of the audio file which you can access http://scorpio1.homeip.net:6970/images/audio.rar

Running the besweet (v1.5b30) from command line works fine with no error.
The video encoding only (i.e. without Audio) is working ok .... no problem encountered so far.

Cheers!
Scorpio

Last edited by scorpdt; 21st June 2005 at 15:52.
Closed Thread