Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2011, 13:17   #1  |  Link
Corpsecreate

Simple Pixel Doubling?

I have a 640 x 480 clip and I would like to directly duplicate the resolution to 1280 x 960 by duplicating each pixel. I imagine this would cause no artifacts and would be a very fast resize. Is there a resizer that can accomplish this? Also is there a way to halve the resolution by removing every 2nd pixel (ie go backwards from the upscale)?

Any help is appreciated ;D
Corpsecreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:27   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

PointResize() ?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:33   #3  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Doubling the resolution in both directions is pixel quadrupling, but yes, pointresize() will do that. For the other direction you can use either pointresize() again or reduceby2().
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:37   #4  |  Link
Corpsecreate

Thank you very much for the help. I did a quick test by subtracting the pointresized image from the original and I get a complete grey image as expected. When I used reduceby2() to go backwards I got a slightly blurrier picture with edges showing up on the subtracted image. Thanks for the help guys!!

Edit: Another quick question if I may. When it comes to Spline36 vs Lanczos4, which is faster to process? I wont ask which one looks 'best' because thats subjective but one should be faster than the other.

Last edited by Corpsecreate; 22nd December 2011 at 13:51.
Corpsecreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:23   #5  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsecreate View Post
When I used reduceby2() to go backwards I got a slightly blurrier picture with edges showing up on the subtracted image.
Yes, ReduceBy2() does anti-aliasing and blurs the image -it's similar to BilinearResize in effect.
Using PointResize will losslessly restore the original image.

Quote:
When it comes to Spline36 vs Lanczos4, which is faster to process? I wont ask which one looks 'best' because thats subjective but one should be faster than the other.
Spline36 is faster as it processes fewer pixels (equivalent to Lanczos(taps=3)).
Lanczos4 is the same speed as Spline64.