Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 4th April 2002, 14:13   #1  |  Link
ChristianHJW

How to get some high quality 5.1 samples for Monty to tune Vorbis encoder ?

Referring to this thread here : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22389 .

Monty needs some high quality 5.1 samples to be able to tune Vorbis for this.

Best source material available is probably either

- some studio/cinema AC3 material ( LigH ) with high bitrates ( 1000+ kbps ) ... no SDDS !

- i know there is a 6 ch 16 Bit 48 Khz mode in DVD Video specs, probably for audio only purposes .. anybody has some sources ?

- higher bitrate, well engineered AC3 stuff ( 448 kbps )

- tricky audio scenes, like well recorded voices, etc.

I think it will be hard for Monty to tune the encoder on movie soundtracks, so well recorded music ( live ? ) as AC3 would be more than welcome .. any suggestions ?

Monty needs them in a WAV form ( FLACed or Monkey is ok i guess ), so we will send him CDs, no mails ( overkill ) .. me to centrally organize that ...
Old 4th April 2002, 14:16   #2  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Anybody has an english copy of Arni's 'Predator' ? I know you may think i'm gone crazy but i believe this soundtrack is incredibly high quality ... love the scene with Arni hanging under the big tree and the monster walking over it ... great bass and spatial effects of the backhall ...

if you have, please check if this is 384 or 448 kbps bitrate and tell me via PM here ...
Old 4th April 2002, 14:20   #3  |  Link
Charlieds

Maybe something from Pink Floyd - The Wall DVD?
That could make rjamorim from Hydrogenaudio happy...
Charlieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 14:53   #4  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Speaking of Pink Floyd...I can provide a sample of Roy Orbison's 5.1 B&W Nights that's mastered quite well.

Also on the music front I have the Tool 5.1 DVD that I could cut a nice snipet from.

If possible we need to use some snipets from "Super Bit" DVD's which will provide full bitrate. I have the 5ht Element Super Bit version as well which would be quite nice as a sample.
Old 4th April 2002, 15:01   #5  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Excellent !

This is the kind of input i was waiting for ! I do have such a DVD setup disc myself i remember, will check it tonight ! Only thing giving me headache is the postal adress problem .. i really dont want my adress floating around somewhere, and i dont think Monty would like this either .. any ideas ?

Wait .. let me ask if Vorbis 'headquarter' has got official postal adress .. otherwise we need somebody with huge webspace ( like 100 MB ), but only for 1x download ( Monty ) ... any volunteers ?

Another option : if this is AC3 ( will be in most cases ) we should be able to cut out the interesting scenes/pieces with a suitable tool ( even Nandub should work if we add a video to it contemporarily ? ) and upload the compressed stuff to a normal webspace ... Monty could decode them to WAV with Azid ? Only problem here : he is on UNIX / Linux, not windows .. but maybe we can convince him to get access to a M$ box only for this purpose ..
Old 4th April 2002, 15:23   #6  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristianHJW
Only problem here : he is on UNIX / Linux, not windows .. but maybe we can convince him to get access to a M$ box only for this purpose ..
Christian,

On UNIX Monty can use ac3dec or try lib52a

In regards to web space, I believe Pei has access to a dual T3 server with 100MB of storage available.

@All
Anyone else able to provide some clips from Super Bit DVD's? These clips should take priority IMO due to the bitrate and remastering that goes in to them.
Old 4th April 2002, 16:41   #7  |  Link
ChristianHJW

So ... all who want to contribute with material ( only short sniplets, like 30 - 40 s long .. we dont want any piracy probs here ) will have to upload the stuff ( either AC3 or preferably FLACed WAV ) to a certain URL i will pass him ... we have an offer from a nice member and fan of Doom9 offering us 100 MB contemporarily on his webserver, with a 10 MBit line ....

Only high quality stuff, and please select scenes where you think they are fine for a listening test ( anybody has the rain from SPR ? ) ..... please PM me here if you feel you have such stuff ...
Old 4th April 2002, 19:26   #8  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

Just for the case, if you don't know: Cutting ac3 is no problem with HeadAC3he.

Cool stuff, keep it up, Chris!
DarkAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2002, 20:57   #9  |  Link
ChristianHJW

@DA : .... so, one of the most interesting sides of life is that we are going to learn new things every day ..

@all :

we have to make sure things are standardized for Monty, so we have to prepare the samples all the same way. I suggest that we, in addition to the spurce ( AC3 ) and the decoded FLACed WAC ( BTW : we sure FLAC can do 6 ch WAVs ? ) we should add a 6 ch Vorbis encoding ( .ogg ) made with HeadAC3he or BeSweet adn q=0 , just to allow Monty to download the compressed sample first to be able to listen to it, so he may decide what WAVs to load.

So here my suggestions for standardization :

1. Nomenclature :

Name should contain source, movie, scene, duration, time in movie, bitrate, like

Source : AC3_Gladiator_fight_45s_01-45_384.ac3
Decoded WAV : AC3_Gladiator_fight_45s_01-45_384.WAV
Compressed Vorbis : AC3_Gladiator_fight_45s_01-45_384.ogg

2. Preparation

the original AC3 shouldbe cut using HeadAC3he, and saved as ac3 file

3. Decoding to WAV :

Then we decoded the AC3 to WAV in Azid ( or BeSweet or HeadAC3he ) with a 'light' DRC setting, to 16 Bit INT.

4. Encoding to Vorbis :

This is not done from the WAV created in 3. but directly transcoded from the AC3, using q=0, default channel coupling

All three files should be uploaded !!

These are samples we are looking for :

- Saving Private Ryan, with the rain falling when they enter the village
- 5th Element, the scene with the strange blue glibber lady singing in the ship's concert hall
- any kind of classical concert
- any kind of good live recording with excellent sound ( Sting, Springsteen, Genesis, etc., no pop crap ! )
- Hi-End recordings like Chesky, Telarc, inak, etc. .. only 5.1 !!
- all sniplets 30 - 45 s, max. 60 s

Come on guys, give me samples !!
Old 4th April 2002, 20:58   #10  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlieds
[B]Maybe something from Pink Floyd - The Wall DVD?
That could make rjamorim from Hydrogenaudio happy...
.... excellent !! Where are my samples ???
Old 4th April 2002, 21:07   #11  |  Link
pei

Yes I have some space on a friends' server, and I can get more than 100mb if I need. Just let me know on #PowerDivX or something.
Old 4th April 2002, 22:25   #12  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

What about the opening of Pearl Harbor? Orchestral and some planes flying...and in the war scene a lot of 5.1 is used as well...
Old 5th April 2002, 00:08   #13  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Quote:
- 5th Element, the scene with the strange blue glibber lady singing in the ship's concert hall
I've already cut this from the Super Bit DVD It's in my collection to upload.

Quote:
- any kind of good live recording with excellent sound ( Sting, Springsteen, Genesis, etc., no pop crap ! )
For this I have Roy Orbison singing with Springsteen, Elvis Costello, KD Lang and Bonnie Rait. This is from the B&W Nights DVD that is superb

I'm also including a snipet of the crash landing from Pitch Black which has excellent surround FX. The other nice scene from this flick is the guy in the desert that gets eaten by the Aliens
Old 5th April 2002, 09:44   #14  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Great MaTTer !! With all these Newbies reading and posting stupid questions here, obviously nobody has a little time to support us it seems ... but the old men are standing upright, facing the work, doing it instead of only talking all the time ...

Really nobody here has a nice copy of 'Predator' ? Guys, believe me, the sound of this movie is excellent .... PM me you lazy bums, if you have a copy !!
Old 5th April 2002, 09:49   #15  |  Link
Charlieds

OK.

60sec of Comfortably Numb guitar solo.
1) AC3_TheWall_CNumbGuitSolo_60s_1h11m30s-1h12m30s_448Kbps.ac3 - 3.301KB
2) AC3_TheWall_CNumbGuitSolo_60s_1h11m30s-1h12m30s_448Kbps.flac - 16.782 KB
3) AC3_TheWall_CNumbGuitSolo_60s_1h11m30s-1h12m30s_448Kbps.ogg - 1.942KB

Total: 21.968KB zipped.

Where do i upload it?
Charlieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 11:33   #16  |  Link
ChristianHJW

PM is on the way .. thanks Mate !!!! Please send me the Ogg via mail if possible .. email is in the PM .

BTW : Please zip and upload all files separately !! At least the Ogg should be an extra file, so Monty can download the Ogg first, make his judgement if the scene is helpful for him, and can download the rest then ....
Old 5th April 2002, 11:39   #17  |  Link
Nic

The best guitar solo in the world.....Ive heard if played live many times

Hello Mr. Weisner

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 12:12   #18  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Hello Mr. Weisner -Ni
Hehehe .. yes, this is the correct way of adressing people in Germany Nic .. you learning fast !

Any good pieces of sound in your collection mate ?
Old 5th April 2002, 12:19   #19  |  Link
DSPguru
BeSweet Author

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic
The best guitar solo in the world.....Ive heard if played live many times
very good solo! but certainly not the best.
can't decide right now which is the best, but the solo of "whole lotta love" by jimmy page (led zepplin) is really a good candidate.

btw, i've seen "The Wall" dvd more than once(amazing film), but i'm afraid the sound quality is poor .

Mr. Weisner,
i might supply some samples of my own. i have dvds of King Crimson, The Who, Dream Theater, Woodstock, etc'..

The KC DVD has amazing sound quality, so i might pack some samples.
btw, what would be the desired channels ordering in those samples ?

Dg.
DSPguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 13:29   #20  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

So is there interest for the Pearl Harbor samples? (I will only upload AC3, as I hate pushing MBs through my v90). What about THX and DD intros? They have fantasic 5.1, of course...