Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th May 2011, 18:34   #12021  |  Link
omegaman7

It would appear that this particular scene has some slight artifacting to the left of the Rat on even the original/source video as well(Dark scenery). However smoother. The difference in all 3 appears to be minor. I do find there to be a fairly substantial difference between Faster and slowest settings. I'll likely be choosing Slowest output option from now on. Unless something doesn't require much compression It would appear that the Jpg container introduced some moderate artifacting. use your imagination

Rather strange about the frame numbers. Not sure how that could happen

Here's the Original capture. Frame number 42673.

Here's a capture of the "Slowest" output speed. Frame number 42702.

Here's a capture of the "Faster" output speed. Frame number 42702.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 18:59   #12022  |  Link
jdobbs

If you have blocking, it wouldn't be unusual for it to be slightly amplified in the reencode. That's because the encoder doesn't know it isn't supposed to be there -- and tries its best to reproduce it. But, honestly I don't really see it in your pictures (at least not on this computer).

I'd recommend in the future that you use PNG... JPG always introduces it's own version of the picture that can distort comparisons. PNG is lossless.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:05   #12023  |  Link
omegaman7

LOL, I realize PNG is lossless, but it would also eat bandwidth. The encoder does do a pretty good job reproducing it. It's just something I'll/we'll have to deal with. I really do need a new monitor
Any thoughts on how the frames from the output could be off numerically from the original?
Old 19th May 2011, 19:12   #12024  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
LOL, I realize PNG is lossless, but it would also eat bandwidth. The encoder does do a pretty good job reproducing it. It's just something I'll/we'll have to deal with. I really do need a new monitor
Any thoughts on how the frames from the output could be off numerically from the original?
Hmmm... the frame number mismatch is interesting. It's very, very close to the difference you'd expect between a 24fps source and a 23.976fps source for the same point in time -- close enough that I have to wonder about it. What disc is this?

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th May 2011 at 19:15.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 19:20   #12025  |  Link
omegaman7

Chronicles of narnia: Voyage of the dawn treader. region 1/A.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:43   #12026  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
Chronicles of narnia: Voyage of the dawn treader. region 1/A.
Hmmm... I think I still have that one on my hard drive. I think I may play with it a little and see what's up. You never know when some seemingly unimportant little glitch will turn up something unexpected.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th May 2011 at 21:02.
Old 20th May 2011, 00:30   #12027  |  Link
jdobbs

@steveg32

Just loaded your settings into BD-Rebuilder (from your post) and ran "Jackass 3" -- it created a perfectly synched DVD that was 4.28GB.

I don't know what to say. But I'm using the exact same BD-RB and the exact same source disc you are and it works 100% correctly. That seems to just leave your computer, your settings, or your playback method. Something is different. Have you burned it to a blank DVD and played it back on a standalone player?

Frankly I'm not sure what else I can do?

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th May 2011 at 00:33.
Old 20th May 2011, 02:07   #12028  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

Just did an encode, Stand By Me R1 using BD-25 as size setting and it came out as 11GB. Not sure what went wrong. I've literally done HUNDREDS of backups and this being the first issue. Not sure what i need to provide, but plz let me know.

Thx
[SLiM]
Old 20th May 2011, 03:58   #12029  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SLiM]D12 View Post
Just did an encode, Stand By Me R1 using BD-25 as size setting and it came out as 11GB. Not sure what went wrong. I've literally done HUNDREDS of backups and this being the first issue. Not sure what i need to provide, but plz let me know.

Thx
[SLiM]
The most likely reason is that the original was 11GB (after removing unwanted audio) and BD-RB kept it intact (because it would fit as-is). It's never a good idea to reencode when it isn't necessary.
Old 20th May 2011, 06:47   #12030  |  Link
1Bullet

Prince of Persia, I have been reading all the posts on this movie in searches.
Looks more like the issues are with the film.
The movie is one hell of a test for BD Rebuilder.
Using windows 7 64bit ultimate.
I ripped the my Disc with DVDFab 8 however when I tried to do a movie only BD RB 0.38.32 was still scanning file 15 minutes later. It did the same thing with BD RB 0.37.07 as well.
I shut down BD rebuilder in task manager and restarted it again. Because BD rebuilder was trying to re open at the last file (prince of persia) it hung on opening. I moved the file to another location and then I could get BD RB opened.
Doing full back up will open after about a 5 minute scan with well over 250 files.
I did a movie only with DVDfab and the main movie was 139 video files. BD reduilder had issues opening the main movie that I had just ripped with DVDfab( I was just testing as main movie under 25 GB).
This is not an issue with my system as in my last post. Turn out to be either Power Dvd 11 or Total Media 5 had updated my Avisynth to 2.5.8.0 causing X264 to freeze.
Just a suggestion, maybe BD rebuilder should not remember last file opened.

Last edited by 1Bullet; 20th May 2011 at 06:49.
1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 06:57   #12031  |  Link
omegaman7

Well...You can intervene this. Simply open the BDREBUILDER.INI file as TXT, delete the source directory and start fresh. I had to do this once. Forget what the circumstances were
Old 20th May 2011, 07:43   #12032  |  Link
steveg32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@steveg32

Just loaded your settings into BD-Rebuilder (from your post) and ran "Jackass 3" -- it created a perfectly synched DVD that was 4.28GB.

I don't know what to say. But I'm using the exact same BD-RB and the exact same source disc you are and it works 100% correctly. That seems to just leave your computer, your settings, or your playback method. Something is different. Have you burned it to a blank DVD and played it back on a standalone player?

Frankly I'm not sure what else I can do?
@jdobbs

Yes I did burn to blank DVDs and the sync issues appeared on all my previously listed standalones. Oh well, can't win them all. Guess I'll continue to convert B-r to DVD using "AVS Converter 7.0". For some reason that program has never given me sync issues when converting B-r to DVD Only drawback is that it converts any HD, DTS, 7.1, 5.1 type audio to 2 Channel Stereo.

No pilikia jdobbs. Mahalo for all your kokua. I really appreciate it. U still da man in my book! My B-r backups are always flawless thanks to you. Aloha, brah
steveg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 08:32   #12033  |  Link
omegaman7

I've converted at least 6 Bd's to Dvd. I had no sync issues. I'm as curious as you are though. It's highly rare that I see the need to convert to dvd though. I love HD I do however understand the need to do it
Old 20th May 2011, 12:13   #12034  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

Quote:
The most likely reason is that the original was 11GB (after removing unwanted audio) and BD-RB kept it intact (because it would fit as-is). It's never a good idea to reencode when it isn't necessary.
I'm not sure i understand. The original BD was 29 GB in size, and i didn't do anything different in BD-RB, it just came out that much smaller.....
Old 20th May 2011, 12:52   #12035  |  Link
RobertM

If you are saying that the entire disc was originally 29GB then that can contain all kinds of stuff, including the "extras", such as outtakes, previews and directorial comments.

It you are saying that only the original m2ts stream (usually the biggest file in the "stream" folder) is 29GB, then that can include multiple audio and subtitle streams.

Either way, the most likely reason is that the original video content on the disc is ACTUALLY only 11GB (or a little less) once all of the other stuff is removed.

You can test this by looking at the BD-Rebuilder log file. When it gets to the stage where it wants to re-encode the video, does it ACTUALLY do any re-encoding, or does it just keep the original? The log file will say what it has done. If it just keeps the original then you can be assured that your rebuild contains the exact same video data that was on the original disc.

Regards,
Bob
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 14:38   #12036  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SLiM]D12 View Post
I'm not sure i understand. The original BD was 29 GB in size, and i didn't do anything different in BD-RB, it just came out that much smaller.....
You need to post your log -- then I can tell you for sure.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:56   #12037  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg32 View Post
@jdobbs

Yes I did burn to blank DVDs and the sync issues appeared on all my previously listed standalones. Oh well, can't win them all. Guess I'll continue to convert B-r to DVD using "AVS Converter 7.0". For some reason that program has never given me sync issues when converting B-r to DVD Only drawback is that it converts any HD, DTS, 7.1, 5.1 type audio to 2 Channel Stereo.

No pilikia jdobbs. Mahalo for all your kokua. I really appreciate it. U still da man in my book! My B-r backups are always flawless thanks to you. Aloha, brah
I really wish I could figure out why it isn't working for you. I've gotten a couple of other similar reports -- while it seems to be working correctly for the majority of users.

There has to be some common thread... but findng it has become a pain in the okole...

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th May 2011 at 15:00.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:20   #12038  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@steveg32

Something is causing an oversize and sync issues in your case -- I'll pick up "Jackass 3" and see what I can find.

[Edit] When I read back my original comment I sounded like an arrogant prick. It doesn't really bother me to be one -- but I don't lke to sound like it. So I've edited it.
I was just reviewing the two INF files and noticed that they aren't matching. Did you choose an alternate playlist when you did Jackass?
Old 20th May 2011, 19:04   #12039  |  Link
KillingTime

Quote:
I got a couple of donations on Sunday so I've ordered Heartbreak Ridge (couldn't find it locally). I should be able to test it in a couple days. Can you post your .INI file? I have to make sure I'm using the same setup as you so I can repeat your issue.

I appreciate your offer -- but honestly I'd rather work with donations and make my own choices as to when, where, and what discs I test. Thanks, though.
OK.

The ini file was posted with the original report here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716&page=591

I've linked to it rater than reposting to avoid duplication.

Also, I've just noticed that errors in raw source material caused by optical read errors can force the audio to jump out of sync with the video. This is not the fault of BDRebuilder as you don't write the mpeg encoding engine, and I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to detect this, but the log file on a recent rebuild of 'Flags of Our Fathers
' reported success when there were obviously probs. The source video jumped once or twice, and BDRebuilder video output went white for a few seconds in the same place. The audio was out of sync from that point forward. The obvious solution is to clean the disc and try again. This could be what has happened with Heartbreak Ridge, but if it is, I can't see where the problem is on the source material, and cleaning the disc has not changed anything.

Thanks.
KillingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 19:11   #12040  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingTime View Post
OK.

The ini file was posted with the original report here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716&page=591

I've linked to it rater than reposting to avoid duplication.

Also, I've just noticed that errors in raw source material caused by optical read errors can force the audio to jump out of sync with the video. This is not the fault of BDRebuilder as you don't write the mpeg encoding engine, and I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to detect this, but the log file on a recent rebuild of 'Flags of Our Fathers
' reported success when there were obviously probs. The source video jumped once or twice, and BDRebuilder video output went white for a few seconds in the same place. The audio was out of sync from that point forward. The obvious solution is to clean the disc and try again. This could be what has happened with Heartbreak Ridge, but if it is, I can't see where the problem is on the source material, and cleaning the disc has not changed anything.

Thanks.
Heartbreak Ridge got delivered yesterday (I ordered it online), but I haven't run it yet. There shouldn't be errors reading -- as the reading software should pick that up via CRC errors. I've never had any issues of that type with AnyDVD HD.

Also, the post in your link doesn't contain the INI file. That is the LOG and the INF file. The INI is called BDREBUILDER.INI and is located in the installation folder. It contains all the saved settings.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th May 2011 at 19:14.