Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 6th May 2003, 23:58   #1  |  Link
abman

problems loading .tp transport stream files

I've been playing with converting hdtv transport streams from my MyHD card to SVCD for the past month, and have it more or less working after quite a few headaches. I have however noticed one issue I can't resolve. Every so often a transport stream will not open in either hdtvtompeg2 or dvd2avit3 (trbarry's version). The file opens fine in the MyHD player, but those two apps just lock up when I try and load it. I've had it happen with streams off ABC and FOX. Happened to about 1 out of ever 5 or 6 streams I capture. The streams are all around 7-8gb per hour, segmented into 2gb chunks. I've done some 3 hour streams successfully, can't seem to find anything that separates the streams that errors from the other ones.

Anyone know if perhaps a single bad frame at the beginning could cause the two programs to fail on opening the file? If anyone else has experienced the problem I'd appreciate any input.
abman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 10:04   #2  |  Link
MentholMoose

Are you setting the correct PID's in dvd2avi.ini? ABC and FOX use audio and video PID's of 21 and 24, respectively, so you need to set this line in dvd2avi.ini:
Code:
MPEG2_Transport_PID=21,24
You can check the PID's used in a TS using hdtvtompeg2.
MentholMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 18:09   #3  |  Link
abman

hdtvtompeg2 crashes just like dvd2avi when trying to load them. I also tried NIC's version of dvd2avi that autodetects the PIDs. no difference. its an issue with the stream for sure, just not sure if there's anything I can do about it. Anyone know of another program I could use to trim the beginning, see if that helps?
Old 8th May 2003, 08:38   #4  |  Link
MentholMoose

Have you tried the cleanup trick using the dvhstool filters described on this AVS Forum thread? It can fix minor stream errors.
MentholMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2003, 15:08   #5  |  Link
trbarry

A few weeks ago (about 3/30?) I posted a new version of DVD2AVI2 on the DVD2AVI forum. It fixed a problem with multiple streams that in my area could occur on both Fox & ABC. But it didn't tend to cause crashes.

A little before that there was also a new version of MPEG2DEC3 with a similar fix. See:

www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip and
www.trbarry.com/MPEG2DEC3.zip

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2003, 15:33   #6  |  Link
abman

ya I'm using the latest versions. Actually I'm dumb, a remux of the .tp in ][muxer fixed it up. The resulting .mpg worked fine.