Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2008, 23:34   #2201  |  Link
gngn
the hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
What resizing? It also happens with any standard 720p video with styled subs, karaokes and such. All is fine except that blurring, any suggestions?
maybe related to the resize-method for VMR renderless? at Options-Output-VMR7/9 renderless settings, i use Bilinear PS 2.0 (with Nearest Neighboor i get also some blurring/pixelation)
Old 28th May 2008, 23:39   #2202  |  Link
ericab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimir666 View Post
Can you take the debug one again, open file and seek :
- does it do the same?
- can you post the dxva.log file ?
@Casimir666

ok; redownloaded 528_debug.

vmr9renderless, reclock, and internal MPCHC decoder.
video properly bitstreams, audio properly bitstreams.

video play right off the bat.

seeking works (however somewhat slowly...nothing crazy though)

framerate is below 10 F.P.S. constantly.

movie used:
The.Bridge.on.the.River.Kwai.1957.720p.HDTV.x264-CtrlHD

DXVA.log ---->

http://www.zshare.net/download/127409850abe6c63/

Picture.log ----->

http://www.zshare.net/download/127410039c25d079/

System specs:
winXP sp3, 8800GTS (g92 core) & 8600GT (g87 core --i believe)
Old 29th May 2008, 00:14   #2203  |  Link
gngn
the hedgehog

i get the normal framerate with the 528_debug version, if i close my antivirusprogram it will play the smoothly

Old 29th May 2008, 00:38   #2204  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngn View Post
maybe related to the resize-method for VMR renderless? at Options-Output-VMR7/9 renderless settings, i use Bilinear PS 2.0 (with Nearest Neighboor i get also some blurring/pixelation)
That cannot be since I'm using EVR Custom to make DXVA work. And it seems that the resizing options only affects the video itself, not the subs. Just tested it. I can only think about the subtitle engine. Now that I look at it it seems that the subs have anti-aliasing applied to them, just that it's too much for my tastes. MPC already makes the shadows and borders of the subs larger and the letters are smaller than VSFilter, plus the anti-aliasing makes them look blurred. What do you think? Two more examples, in the first pic as the subs are larger the effect is much less noticeable, but it's there:

With VSFilter:

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 29th May 2008 at 00:54.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:52   #2205  |  Link
ADude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatMaul View Post
Just activate all ADPCM decoding possibilities in the ffdshow audio configuration and it will work
I tried that and it did not help.

When I change from Quicktime to Directshow for .mov, it doesn't even know that is an ADPCM:
Quote:
The following pin failed to find a connectable filter:

150821main_viking-062206-320cc.mov::Apple Sound Media Handler

Media Type 0:
--------------------------
Audio: 0x0000 32000Hz mono

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: Unknown GUID Name {324D4451-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
bFixedSizeSamples: 1
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 178
Old 29th May 2008, 03:33   #2206  |  Link
ranpha

Quote:
That cannot be since I'm using EVR Custom to make DXVA work. And it seems that the resizing options only affects the video itself, not the subs. Just tested it. I can only think about the subtitle engine. Now that I look at it it seems that the subs have anti-aliasing applied to them, just that it's too much for my tastes. MPC already makes the shadows and borders of the subs larger and the letters are smaller than VSFilter, plus the anti-aliasing makes them look blurred. What do you think? Two more examples, in the first pic as the subs are larger the effect is much less noticeable, but it's there:
Go to your graphic card control panel applet and turn off all anti-aliasing options you can find. Easier to do with nVidia card than ATI.

edit: And I can't help but notice that

is sharper than

Did you use different resizing methods or renderers when making those screenshots?

Last edited by ranpha; 29th May 2008 at 03:44. Reason: Something else I noticed.
Old 29th May 2008, 03:51   #2207  |  Link
thuan

@Stargazer: Go in MPC Options -> Subtitles node and set Maximum texture resolution to desktop.
Old 29th May 2008, 08:13   #2208  |  Link
3ngel

I can confirm that using the internal subtitle engine the subs appear "little blurred" no matter what. With the external VsFilter the subs appear regularly sharp.

But this behavouring is present from the dawn of MPC. Indeed never understood why. No resizer, no antialias, no.... but subs always blurred. (Pheraps it's related with the fact that being sent directly in the video they are sent as YUV/YV12 so they lost the preciseness 'cause not in RGB colorspace?)

Last edited by 3ngel; 29th May 2008 at 08:16.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:18   #2209  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

528_debug version work fine on XP-DXVA1, normal framerate, seek work - but if antivirus(KIS 7) is disabled, and cpu load is more than non debug 528 version on Vista-DXVA2 - 30-40% on C2D@3.2 ... possible because is debug version.

http://www.zshare.net/download/127369352f5f7b87/ - also as older version black screen on XP.

Test on sample there ref_num>4.

Last edited by Aleksoid1978; 29th May 2008 at 11:39.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:45   #2210  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranpha View Post
Go to your graphic card control panel applet and turn off all anti-aliasing options you can find. Easier to do with nVidia card than ATI.

edit: And I can't help but notice that

is sharper than

Did you use different resizing methods or renderers when making those screenshots?
That's because VSFilter "prints" subs into the image, and when you have a SD source the subs are in the same resolution of that video. If it's 640x480 for example, the subs will be impressed inside those 640x480 pixels, and the resized, that's why in that concrete video VSFilter is way more blurred, simply the way it works. Now go and grab some videos @720p if your monitor is 1280x1024 (no resize needed). You'll find that VSFilter gives you simply perfect (and antialiased) subs, and MPC will look blurry. Also notice that in those pics even if they are blurred or not, shadows are different, and font size too.

Texture resolution makes no difference. AA is disabled, but it also makes no difference. All resizing methods and renderers have the same effect. In my caps all is the same except subs being rendered by MPC or VSFilter. Remember I'm using EVR Custom + DXVA (for MPC subs) and EVR Custom + VSFilter (no DXVA), running Vista64 SP1 and an ATI HD3870.

Also exist the "problem" that MPC uses different font, border and shadow sizes. I suppose this is mainly due to the way MPC renders the subs, but it's not only that. ASS files with different borders and shadows look like the autor wants with VSFilter, but not in MPC. They look the same except changing colors only, not the entire style.

I'd love to see something like an internal VSFilter, rendering the subs the same as VSFilter but not putting them into the image, allowing DXVA with VSFilter styled subs. Something like putting VSFilter before the video codec in Graphedit. That would be sweet if the MPC developers can do it.

If you want I can upload some samples with different subs that will show you exactly what I'm talking about

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 29th May 2008 at 09:51.
Old 29th May 2008, 09:48   #2211  |  Link
3ngel

Colorspace Selector in VC-1 & Mpeg2 Decoder

I was wondering.
It would be possible to add a Colospace Selector to the internal VC1 (and Mpeg2) Decoder in order to wipe away definetively all the issues regarding YUV->RGB (16/0) luma issue?

With a selected RGB32 the conversion would be done directly from the player so the color chain would be consistent no matter what Graphic Card.

Moreover, any news on the VC-1 interlaced issue?

Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 10:31   #2212  |  Link
neoufo51

The Haali Renderer output really improved playback for me. These recent test builds have made video tear up like crazy under VMR9 but since I finally decided to use the Haali Renderer, playback has been as smooth as butter and my subtitles work flawlessly. Looks like I'm never going back to VMR output ever again.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:49   #2213  |  Link
ranpha

Quote:
That's because VSFilter "prints" subs into the image, and when you have a SD source the subs are in the same resolution of that video. If it's 640x480 for example, the subs will be impressed inside those 640x480 pixels, and the resized, that's why in that concrete video VSFilter is way more blurred, simply the way it works. Now go and grab some videos @720p if your monitor is 1280x1024 (no resize needed). You'll find that VSFilter gives you simply perfect (and antialiased) subs, and MPC will look blurry. Also notice that in those pics even if they are blurred or not, shadows are different, and font size too.

Texture resolution makes no difference. AA is disabled, but it also makes no difference. All resizing methods and renderers have the same effect. In my caps all is the same except subs being rendered by MPC or VSFilter. Remember I'm using EVR Custom + DXVA (for MPC subs) and EVR Custom + VSFilter (no DXVA), running Vista64 SP1 and an ATI HD3870.

Also exist the "problem" that MPC uses different font, border and shadow sizes. I suppose this is mainly due to the way MPC renders the subs, but it's not only that. ASS files with different borders and shadows look like the autor wants with VSFilter, but not in MPC. They look the same except changing colors only, not the entire style.

I'd love to see something like an internal VSFilter, rendering the subs the same as VSFilter but not putting them into the image, allowing DXVA with VSFilter styled subs. Something like putting VSFilter before the video codec in Graphedit. That would be sweet if the MPC developers can do it.

If you want I can upload some samples with different subs that will show you exactly what I'm talking about
I know how both vsfilter and the internal MPC subtitle engine works. What I want to ask you is why the girl and the man looks sharper in the picture with MPC subs compared to what the one in VSFilter sub picture. I'm not comparing subtitles sharpness in any way.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:28   #2214  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranpha View Post
I know how both vsfilter and the internal MPC subtitle engine works. What I want to ask you is why the girl and the man looks sharper in the picture with MPC subs compared to what the one in VSFilter sub picture. I'm not comparing subtitles sharpness in any way.
Sorry, I misunderstand you. Anyway, I hope anyone of the MPC could look into this too Now your answer:

When using DXVA and SD videos, the IQ enhancements of the ATI kicks in. What you're noticing is Edge-enhancement, a value of 35 in CCC. That gives me the best results, more will turn the image into shit. But this doesn't work for HD, that's why you don't see any difference between the other two pics, and the ones here. There in the Gundam Wing ones EE is making a very good job too.
Old 29th May 2008, 16:00   #2215  |  Link
ranpha

Quote:
Sorry, I misunderstand you. Anyway, I hope anyone of the MPC could look into this too Now your answer:

When using DXVA and SD videos, the IQ enhancements of the ATI kicks in. What you're noticing is Edge-enhancement, a value of 35 in CCC. That gives me the best results, more will turn the image into shit. But this doesn't work for HD, that's why you don't see any difference between the other two pics, and the ones here. There in the Gundam Wing ones EE is making a very good job too.
Hmmm... from my tests, even without DXVA the IQ can still be usable on all kind of videos as long as it was SD resolution. Can't make it to be used with HD videos though.

BTW, the subtitle engine in MPC-HC used VSFilter codes already, so I do not think your request can be granted. The only difference with external is probably the need of a Direct3D video card by the internal engine in MPC. Isn't clsid the one who wrote the code for this? Maybe you should just ask him.
Old 29th May 2008, 17:04   #2216  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

@STaRGaZeR: have you ever tried 'ScaledBorderAndShadow: Yes' in ASS? (e.g. the border should be 200% in size if the picture/text size is 200%). Sorry OT.
Old 29th May 2008, 17:29   #2217  |  Link
xW0Lf

hmmm
one question:
if dedicated chip for h.264 decoding in ati 2x00HD and newer (nvidia 8x00 cards too) can decode only standard h.264 files on-the-fly (example: 1080p with <=4 ref. frames)...
can we do something to avoid that limitation and still use some of graphic-card features to off-load main CPU?
like as decode only parts of h.264 stream, not full (50% work to decode using cpu and 50% to decode using GPU)...
or to use shaders to decode h.264 in GPU ...

main goal is to send part of job to GPU....
i still have single-core P4 @ 3.4ghz and sometimes, when playing 1080P streams (full 1920x1080 with picture, without croping black regions), i got some frame drops/skiping...
and... most of my 1080p collection is non-standard (>4 ref.frames)....

so?
any ideas?
Old 29th May 2008, 18:19   #2218  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xW0Lf View Post
main goal is to send part of job to GPU....
i still have single-core P4 @ 3.4ghz and sometimes, when playing 1080P streams (full 1920x1080 with picture, without croping black regions), i got some frame drops/skiping...
and... most of my 1080p collection is non-standard (>4 ref.frames)....

so?
any ideas?
OP links to this work in progress thread. The answer is "yes, but not by MPC any time soon"
Old 29th May 2008, 19:05   #2219  |  Link
burfadel

When you use frame by frame seek by pressing the right cursor key, when you press play again the sound plays from the initial position to where you finished going frame by frame before the picture starts off again. The sound should play directly from where the last frame is seeked! Also a left frame by frame seek would be good,
Old 29th May 2008, 20:44   #2220  |  Link
Gawwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatMaul View Post
please play a problematic sample with this debug build :
http://www.etud.insa-toulouse.fr/~mv...r528_Debug.zip
and send to me the file picture.log and the number of the frames where this problem appears (you can see that with ctrl+G) at : my_login atnospam gmail dot com
the same for a non problematic apple trailer would be good too.
sorry for the late reply
here is the log of the mkv sample and the apple trailer that had problems, i also included 2 720p spider-man 3 trailers that seems to not have problems
http://rapidshare.com/files/11865151...pc_hc.zip.html

note: i actually noticed that even some of the 720p and 480p HD apple trailers that i thought at the beginning worked perfectly, turned out to have a problematic frame somewhere, i noticed this with Wanted trailer (frame: 3169)

but surprisingly i didn't notice this with the 1080p trailers, for example i have problems with the 480p and 720p HD trailer of the diary of the dead, but i didn't have a problem with the 1080p version !

link for the mkv sample that had a problem: http://rapidshare.com/files/118143839/sample.mkv.html (5.50 MB)
link for spider-man 3 720p trailers: http://www.jurassicpunk.com/movies/spiderman3.shtml (i used the "trailer" and "final trailers, "teaser" had a problem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
confirmed
i do get the exact same artefacts playing diaryofthedead-tlr1_h720p.hdmov with DXVA

my system: vista sp1 x32 / nvidia 8600GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
new problem, although not as serious as the previous ones
this sample shows a little artefacts when it plays with DXVA
http://rapidshare.com/files/118143839/sample.mkv.html (5.50 MB)

the video could be corrupted, but when i disable the the DXVA or play the sample with vlc player, the artefacts doesn't show

with DXVA:

without DXVA:

i tested the sample with r527 / vista sp1 x32 / nvidia 8600GT
http://www.etud.insa-toulouse.fr/~mv...ayerc_r527.zip
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc