Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 7th December 2005, 20:13   #1  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix 1.6.5 is out

Newest version is 1.7.0: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....7.0-setup.exe (see page 10)

Hey guys,

after nearly two months I'm releasing a new version, 1.6.5. Tons of bug
fixes, a couple of new features. The usual mix

The links:
...to the homepage:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
...to the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-1.6.5.tar.bz2
...to the Unicode enabled Windows build:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....6.5-setup.exe

The other binaries are still being built and will be available shortly.

Finally the ChangeLog excerpt since the previous version:

-------------------
2005-12-07 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v1.6.5.

2005-12-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* source: bug fix: Changed the list of ISO 639 languages so that the terminology versions are converted into the bibliography versions of the 639-2 codes (e.g. use "ger" instead of "deu" for the German language). Converted almost all pieces of mkvmerge and mmg to accept ISO 639-1, 639-2 codes (both bibliography and terminology versions) and the languages' English names. Those will always be converted to the 639-2 code. Fixes Anthill bug #171.

2005-12-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The country code used in XML chapter files was checked against the list of ISO 639-1 codes and not against the list of ccTLDs. Partial bugfix for Anthill bug #171.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: When appending tracks and using timecodes the timecodes were only used for the first track in a chain of tracks. This has been changed so that you must specify only one timecode file in such cases (e.g. "mkvmerge ... --timecodes 0:my_timecodes.txt part1.avi +part2.avi"). mmg has already been working like this. Fixes Anthill bug #162.

2005-12-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* source: new feature: Added support for linking against liblzo2 (same compression algorithm, just a new library version). Patch by Diego Petten (see AUTHORS).
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added a workaround for files created by Gabest's DirectShow Matroska muxer with slightly broken frame references. Fixes Anthill bug #172.
* mkvextract: new feature: attachment extraction mode: Made the output file name optional. If it is missing (e.g. "mkvextract attachments source.mkv 92385: 124981:") then the name of the attachment inside the Matroska file is chosen instead. Patch by Sergey Hakobyan (see AUTHORS).
* mkvmerge: new feature: If an output file name contains directories that don't exist then they're created. Patch by Sergey Hakobyan (see AUTHORS) with modifications by myself.

2005-11-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Don't abort reading a Matroska if the next element is not a cluster. This is the case for e.g. files produced by Haali's muxer which writes the segment tracks element in intervals. Fixes Anthill bug #169.

2005-11-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: Fixed a problem with the selection of language codes for chapters in the chapter editor.

2005-11-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: If at least or more attachments were present and the user used --attachment-name for each of them (as mmg does) then mkvmerge was wrongly outputting a warning about multiple uses of --attachment-name for a single attachment.
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added limited support for edit lists in MP4/QuickTime files. Fixes Anthill bug #151.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: MP4/QuickTime files which contain another atom before the 'avcC' atom in the video track headers weren't correctly remuxed.

2005-11-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: mkvmerge will now refuse to append AVC/h.264 video tracks whose codec initialization data blocks do not match. Invalidates Anthill bug #163.

2005-11-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a crash If the granulepos (the timecodes) reset in the middle of an Ogg/OGM file. Fixes Anthill bug #166.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a division-by-zero error in the RealMedia demuxer. Fixes Anthill bug #161.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a couple of potential (and actual) segmentation faults by accessing invalid memory addresses. Initial patch for the VobSub reader by Issa on Doom9's forum.

2005-11-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mmg: new feature: The names of attached files can be set with a new option --attachment-name or on mmg's "Attachments" page.

2005-11-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed another bug when appending AVC/h.264 tracks that would mkvmerge cause to die with "bref_packet == NULL". Fixes Anthill bug #160.

2005-11-01 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: When the user saved the muxing output in a log file that file didn't use Windows line endings (CR LF) on Windows.
* mmg: bug fix: Appending tracks was broken because the track numbers in the command line were incorrect. Fixes Anthill bug #160.

2005-10-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for Ogg/Theora.

2005-10-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: Changed the CodecID for AAC audio tracks to "A_AAC" by default The CodecPrivate contains the same initialization data that are stored in the ESDS in MP4 files for AAC tracks. The old CodecIDs (e.g. "A_AAC/MPEG4/SBR") can be turned on again with "--engage old_aac_codecid".

2005-10-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo: new feature: The sub elements of the EBML head are now shown.
* mkvinfo: new feature: Added support for the new SimpleBlock.
* mkvextract: new feature: Added support for the new SimpleBlock.
* mkvmerge, mmg: new feature: Added support for the new SimpleBlock instead of BlockGroups (only available via "--engage use_simpleblock" for now). Patch by Steve Lhomme (see AUTHORS) with fixes by myself.
-------------------

Have fun

Mosu

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.

Last edited by Mosu; 29th April 2006 at 11:20.
Mosu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 21:42   #2  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Thanks Mosu !

another great release (Go Mkv GO !!!)

BHH
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 22:35   #3  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Many thanks!!!

Merged in RealAnime LE
Old 8th December 2005, 05:40   #4  |  Link
Elias
Be Brave!

Nice going there!
Old 8th December 2005, 14:25   #5  |  Link
multicone

Quote:
2005-10-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for Ogg/Theora.
:O :O :O !!!

Theora in MKV ??? What should this be good for ? Will the Xiph guys not be pissed about this ?
multicone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 15:22   #6  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Theora's been in the specs for years, it just hasn't been implemented in mkvmerge. No reason why they should be pissed, there's nothing proprietary about mkv and it's very useful for audio and streams that ogg can't handle.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 17:28   #7  |  Link
LeMoi

If i add an idx/sub containing many tracks, the language for each track is not kept. Example, track0 in idx is english, i click on it, then i click on track2 which is supposed to be French, and "english" is displayed. So i change and set "French", then I go to track 3 which is supposed to be German, but i se "french". Actually, I see the language that i just saw or set for the previous track
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 17:57   #8  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ups, thanks. Fixed in http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20051208-1.rar

Old 8th December 2005, 19:00   #9  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
No reason why they should be pissed, there's nothing proprietary about mkv and it's very useful for audio and streams that ogg can't handle.
Xiph isn't particularly keen on having their opensource codecs paired up with properietary/patented codecs. But generally they don't care if there is support in Matroska for their codecs or not.
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 09:54   #10  |  Link
issa

Latest CVS/SVN (unicode+SSE2) build:
http://rapidshare.de/files/8853745/m...e-sse2.7z.html

Note: mmg's lang slections fixed, chinese in frequnce use list is missing.
issa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 16:38   #11  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

issa: If you make changes yourself I'd very much appreciate it if you'd send me patches so that they'll end up in my source tree. If you haven't changed anything yourself then your build shouldn't be different from the one I've linked to above (apart from being built with SSE2).

Old 10th December 2005, 13:13   #12  |  Link
MacAddict
XviD User

Many thanks for the new build!

@issa
Thanks for the SSE2 build too :-)
Old 11th December 2005, 12:12   #13  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

Another release of my favourite muxer; couldn't cope without it! Thanks!
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 17:59   #14  |  Link
Egh

It's a great tradition in each new mkvtoolnix to have new text message. The last one is very good "Watcher of the skies".

But i guess there's a tradition on making some interesting bugs in each new release as well ^)

1. Have several files in the attachement list (in my case they all are .ttf and their number is visible list size +1).
2. Remove attachments or attachments.
3. Click on t3h emply space what's left after them.
4. MMG.EXE has crashed and will be shut down :P

Also there's a request for new feature on that page -- it's possible to add several .ttf s at once, why it's not possible to select and remove several entries from the list as well ^^?

And haven't tested in the last version yet, but in previous it was the problem -- mmg.exe doesnt' automatically recognize .ttc extension (i.e. assign same MIME type as for .ttf file). It's an official container format for several .ttfs at once, iirc. It works nicely on playback, it's just a bit annoying you have to assign the type of MIME manually for it.
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 19:03   #15  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh

3. Click on t3h emply space what's left after them.
4. MMG.EXE has crashed and will be shut down :P
Nice, another on-Windows-only bug But that should be very easy to fix.

Quote:
Also there's a request for new feature on that page -- it's possible to add several .ttf s at once, why it's not possible to select and remove several entries from the list as well ^^?
Of course this would be technically possible, but that would require making the list multi-select list, and that's again adding more buggy GUI code for dealing with that. Not at the moment, but I might add it if I get bored with other stuff

Quote:
And haven't tested in the last version yet, but in previous it was the problem -- mmg.exe doesnt' automatically recognize .ttc extension (i.e. assign same MIME type as for .ttf file). It's an official container format for several .ttfs at once, iirc. It works nicely on playback, it's just a bit annoying you have to assign the type of MIME manually for it.
Hmm, I find that kinda hard to believe that the same MIME type would be used for a single element and a container at the same time. Kinda defeats the purpose of a MIME type, IMHO. Could you give me a pointer to a website or something where that MIME type is assigned to that format as well, please?

Old 12th December 2005, 19:14   #16  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The attachment-related crash should be fixed in http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20051212-1.rar

Old 12th December 2005, 20:06   #17  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Hmm, I just tried to implement the "remove multiple attachments at once" thingy but was quite angry at the GUI toolkit not sending an event if all entries have been deselected... So for the moment I will not add this feature.

Old 13th December 2005, 15:34   #18  |  Link
dwrbudr
Unregistered User

I've a problem to mux .aac (created with BeLight and WinAmp 5.12 AAC+ v2) and .avi (XviD) - the resulting .mkv is not playable. When I create the AAC file with WinAMP 5.11 DLLs everything is fine..
Old 13th December 2005, 20:45   #19  |  Link
trodas
WinXP SP3 suxx :-/

Stupid but releated question (please don't kill me)

Is this the right tool, that help me to open the mkv file so I could get the AVI and the SUBTITLES from it?

The subs did not match well, so they need fixing, so I have to open the file

What can I use? Is this the right toy for my little game?
Old 13th December 2005, 20:59   #20  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrbudr
I've a problem to mux .aac (created with BeLight and WinAmp 5.12 AAC+ v2) and .avi (XviD) - the resulting .mkv is not playable. When I create the AAC file with WinAMP 5.11 DLLs everything is fine..
Please upload two AACs to my FTP server (see signature): one created with 5.12 and one created with 5.11. Please use the same source so that I can easily spot the differences. Thanks.