Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 25th August 2011, 01:16   #12781  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Have you had a chance to decide if the subtitle out of sync problem with DVD-5 output is fixable in BDRB? I realize it is probably an issue only with a small number of titles - BDRB has certainly been very reliable for me with DVD-5 output until the Dragon Tattoo BDs.
It's easy enough to fix -- but unfortunately by doing so I'd probably cause other problems.

It's not unusual for audio to be delayed in the way you've described, and BD-RB corrects for it. But in most cases I don't believe the subtitles aren't delayed as well. In those cases adjusting the subtitles would make it off in the other direction.

I'll find some examples and see if I can spot where the behaviour is consistent.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:26   #12782  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It's easy enough to fix -- but unfortunately by doing so I'd probably cause other problems.

It's not unusual for audio to be delayed in the way you've described, and BD-RB corrects for it. But in most cases I don't believe the subtitles aren't delayed as well. In those cases adjusting the subtitles would make it off in the other direction.

I'll find some examples and see if I can spot where the behaviour is consistent.
It almost seems like BDRB is initiating the subtitles timing based upon the overall playlist timing - rather than the audio from the specific video file the subtitles came from.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 01:36   #12783  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
It almost seems like BDRB is initiating the subtitles timing based upon the overall playlist timing - rather than the audio from the specific video file the subtitles came from.
The display times of the subtitles come from the PGS (subtitle file) itself. It actually has nothing to do with the audio presentation times. They are set by the original authoring.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:48   #12784  |  Link
setarip_old

@Rich86
Quote:
Since these chapter designations from the playlist were related to the playlist which included that opening 10 second scene which we've now effectively deleted, should I assume all these chapter points being applied to only the 2nd video file from the playlist are 10 seconds off and try to adjust them down by 10 seconds each before I run tsmuxer again?
FIRST, try it just as I suggested...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 01:51   #12785  |  Link
xterminater

jdobbs, how are u doing? i have a question in one of my bluray. It has a 480p avc video in it along with a 1080p video, and it's a java bluray, how would I go and "blank" out the unneeded 480p to save bitrate. I'm guessing it's because it is a bluray+dvd+digital copy all in one disc. I read in the thread and I believe you are implementing a feature where you can do menu+main movie or the ability to blank out unecessary track now?
xterminater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 01:55   #12786  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
The display times of the subtitles come from the PGS (subtitle file) itself. It actually has nothing to do with the audio presentation times. They are set by the original authoring.
I'm learning much here today . . so please bear with me . .

Is the PGS associated with a playlist - or a video file?
It would appear the PGS in question is associated with the main movie video file (0000.m2ts), but somehow being applied against the timing associated with the overall playlist (00001.mpls) which includes the 10 second long 00001.m2ts file ahead of the main movie? I was originally focused on the fact that that first 10 second file being played had no audio track as the source of the problem - but maybe the very existence at all of that 10 second .m2ts is the problem if the PGS is being timed to the overall playlist instead of specifically the main movie file it belongs to? Since the blu-ray plays the subtitles correctly, I'm assuming it is not an authoring error.
Just thinking it through out loud . . .
Old 25th August 2011, 02:08   #12787  |  Link
Rich86

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Rich86
FIRST, try it just as I suggested...
too late - I had decided that the 10 second adjustment on every chapter would be necessary and made them and reran tsmuxer. The resulting blu-ray formatted video looks correct - the chapters appear to be in the correct place when compared to the original blu-ray title. It would appear that the original chapter stops are established in relation to the overall playlist timing, but the subtitles (pgs) relate to the specific main movie video file.
--------------------------------------
Update: I ran a test of this title to BD output also - simply selected the ripped BD directory as input and chose BD output for main movie title - that seems to work just fine (both audio tracks are there, subtitles are there, everything is in sync, defaults selected (swedish audio with english subtitles) showed up in the output files and work.
Summary (the 3rd Dragon Tattoo BD): The subtitles sync problem appears to be restricted to DVD output from this BD source. The movie playlist (00001.mpls) includes 3 videos (m2ts files) including:
1. 00001.m2ts - an opening "Music Box" logo scene with no audio or subtitles lasting about 10 seconds
2. 00000.m2ts - the main movie beginning with the "Yellow Bird" logo including both swedish and english audio tracks and english subtitles
3. 00017.msts - a very brief closing logo scene
When BDRB processes this to DVD-5 output, the subtitles in the main movie are out of sync by approximately 10 seconds too early, which is the length of the opening 00001.m2ts video. It appears the subtitles pgs is being processed as though the entries relate to the total playlist in BDRB much like chapters, whereas the pgs entries appear to be tied to the 00000.m2ts video itself (resulting in subtitles appearing 10 seconds too early in this case).
Any audio or subtitles default selections made in BDRB are not honored either (I do not know if that is unique to this title being processed to DVD-5, but I can say default selections seem to work when processing to BD output).
I hope these notes are somewhat helpful to jdobbs when investigating the problem further.

Last edited by Rich86; 25th August 2011 at 17:09.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:46   #12788  |  Link
jdobbs

Interesting... and helpful. That, of course, means that there has to be a timing glitch somewhere in the conversion.
Old 26th August 2011, 07:43   #12789  |  Link
a.k.a.

Hello,

Getting an all clear from Inspect.exe, but when I hit the Phase 2 / Rebuild process, MPLEX fails.

Here's the log:
[02:21:49] BD Rebuilder v0.38.09 (beta)
- Source: GREAT_MIGRATIONS_DISC_1
- Input BD size: 14.85 GB
- Approximate total content: [00:50:00.931]
- Windows Version: 6.0 [6002]
- MOVIE-ONLY/ALTERNATE OUTPUT mode enabled
- Mode: DVD-9, 720x480/576, AC3 Audio
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
- Resuming from previously started job.
[02:21:53] PHASE ONE, Encoding
[02:21:53]PHASE ONE complete
[02:21:53]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [02:21:53] Rebuilding stream 00022 [1 of 1]
- [02:21:53] Building ALTERNATE OUTPUT Structure
- [02:25:40] Converting 1 subtitles to DVD format.
- [02:26:22] Starting MPLEX.
- ERROR in attempt to mux (MPLEX)
[02:30:56] - Failed to REBUILD

What other info do you want from me?

And in the meantime, is there another program I can run the Phase 1 Encoding / Temp folder output through to get a DVD9 burn at this point? Earlier today, I also tried a DVD9 conversion via multiAVCHD but am also throwing errors.

Thanks!
a.k.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 10:56   #12790  |  Link
a.k.a.

The other thing to note is that BDRB has extracted only 1 of 3 episodes from the BD ISO listed above. (The last of 3 episodes.)
a.k.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 15:45   #12791  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.k.a. View Post
The other thing to note is that BDRB has extracted only 1 of 3 episodes from the BD ISO listed above. (The last of 3 episodes.)
When you are doing a movie-only backup you are selecting a single playlist as "the movie" -- in order to do multiple episodes you have to select other playlists from the menu.
Old 26th August 2011, 16:17   #12792  |  Link
sfcav

Audio sync issue with captured mpg files?

I searched for a simple answer but didn't find one.

BD-RB works flawlessly with any BD or mkv file I throw at it, but I'm consistently having an audio sync issue with most of my captured 1080i mpg files. These files are 1080i ac3 mpg and they play fine on their own. However, I like converting them to 1080p and shrinking them to fit on DL or SL disks, which is where BD-RB comes in. I've tried numerous versions up to 3808, but still get what appears to be a several second difference between the audio and video. Using Handbreak, the files turn out fine but it takes several times longer than BD-RB.

Inspect reports the following:
- Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
- HAALI Splitter: 1.11.96.14 Isn't recommended version
- FFDSHOW: 3882, Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set "disabled", WMP11, Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.38.0.8, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok

My settings are:

- Use Deinterlacer
- Do not reencode AC3

One post here indicated that certain Haali splitters may be an issue (most current?).

Thoughts or suggestions welcome

sfcav
sfcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 16:47   #12793  |  Link
Rich86

Dragon Tattoo Trilogy - DVD-5 Output

Quote:
too late - I had decided that the 10 second adjustment on every chapter would be necessary and made them and reran tsmuxer. The resulting blu-ray formatted video looks correct - the chapters appear to be in the correct place when compared to the original blu-ray title. It would appear that the original chapter stops are established in relation to the overall playlist timing, but the subtitles (pgs) relate to the specific main movie video file.
Update: I ran a test of this title to BD output also - simply selected the ripped BD directory as input and chose BD output for main movie title - that seems to work just fine (both audio tracks are there, subtitles are there, everything is in sync, defaults selected (swedish audio with english subtitles) showed up in the output files and work.
Summary (the 3rd Dragon Tattoo BD): The subtitles sync problem appears to be restricted to DVD output from this BD source. The movie playlist (00001.mpls) includes 3 videos (m2ts files) including:
1. 00001.m2ts - an opening "Music Box" logo scene with no audio or subtitles lasting about 10 seconds
2. 00000.m2ts - the main movie beginning with the "Yellow Bird" logo including both swedish and english audio tracks and english subtitles
3. 00017.msts - a very brief closing logo scene
When BDRB processes this to DVD-5 output, the subtitles in the main movie are out of sync by approximately 10 seconds too early, which is the length of the opening 00001.m2ts video. It appears the subtitles pgs is being processed as though the entries relate to the total playlist in BDRB much like chapters, whereas the pgs entries appear to be tied to the 00000.m2ts video itself (resulting in subtitles appearing 10 seconds too early in this case).
Any audio or subtitles default selections made in BDRB are not honored either (I do not know if that is unique to this title being processed to DVD-5, but I can say default selections seem to work when processing to BD output).
I hope these notes are somewhat helpful to jdobbs when investigating the problem further.
more info (ie. another problem) . . .

The 4th disc in the Dragon Trilogy BD Set set has documentaries and extras. The primary playlist runs those 5 documentaries in sequence (a "play all" selection in the BDs main menu). The first title in that playlist has english audio and no subtitles. The following 4 titles have swedish audio and english subtitles. I chose "movie only" output to DVD-5 in BDRB. It sees and defaults to the primary playlist described above. This is fine - except BDRB sees the 1 audio track and no subtitles in the first file, and seems to assume the rest are the same, as the subtitles in the following video files are not indicated as being available nor offered or converted to dvd anywhere.
If I select "Full Backup" in BDRB, the program sees and offers all the subtitles in the titles that have subtitles.

Update:
Just for info: I ran BDRB off a different playlist which only plays the first title (the "making of" documentary with english audio and no subtitles) to create dvd files of that. Then I used tsmuxer again to combine the remaining 4 video files that have swedish audio and english subtitles into a BD formatted directory - which I then ran through BDRB to convert to dvd files. That gave me 2 dvd structures on hard disk. I ran DVDShrink to combine those into 1 DVD. A lot of steps - but when done, at least I had all the videos and all the proper audio tracks and subtitles in the proper playback sequence.

Last edited by Rich86; 28th August 2011 at 20:13.
Old 26th August 2011, 17:54   #12794  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

@sfcav: - HAALI Splitter: 1.11.96.14 Isn't recommended version

There's your problem. Switch to the right one
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 19:55   #12795  |  Link
sfcav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
@sfcav: - HAALI Splitter: 1.11.96.14 Isn't recommended version

There's your problem. Switch to the right one
Thanks Ch3vrOn - For clairfication, the inspect tool simply says that the HAALI version it finds isn't the recommended version (I added in the info), but it IS the version linked on the first page of this forum (just checked again), which seems odd. Could there be an error in the link??
Old 26th August 2011, 20:25   #12796  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Then that inspect.exe bug jdobbs has been working on still isnt fixed.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 21:09   #12797  |  Link
RobertM

I thought that bug wasn't finally fixed until the LATEST version of BDRB (v0.38.0.9). sfcav is running v0.38.0.8, so perhaps he should try the current version (and the bundled current version of inspect.exe) and then maybe that HAALI error will disappear.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 01:26   #12798  |  Link
sfcav

Here's an update - I reinstalled HAALI media splitter and now Inspect indicates that my setup is Ok:

- HAALI Splitter: 1.11.96.14, Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.38.0.8, Ok

I therefore tried BD-RB and, as before, the audio was not in sync (sound ahead of video by up to several seconds).

Per RobertM's suggestion, I set up v03809, and Inspect reports the following:

- HAALI Splitter: 1.11.96.14, Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.38.0.9, Ok

Will try again with v03809 and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions : )
Old 27th August 2011, 04:47   #12799  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcav View Post
BD-RB works flawlessly with any BD or mkv file I throw at it, but I'm consistently having an audio sync issue with most of my captured 1080i mpg files. These files are 1080i ac3 mpg and they play fine on their own.
The most likely reason, which is not a BD-RB bug, is the program you use to edit your capture, remove commercials, etc... The only reliable program I have found, that leaves a 0ms audio delay and treats the time stamps of this edit properly is VideoRedo. Others are not so reliable in this regard.
So though your source may play in sync, the reencode may not!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 07:43   #12800  |  Link
sfcav

Thanks Capsbackup

I too have found VideoRedo to be the best editor, and it is what I use to remove leading and trailing non-movie info from the mpg files. Using MediaInfo or tsMuxeR, there is no audio delay listed in either the original or the BD-RB files.

BD-RB 3809 just finished, and it too has the audio out of sync.

I'm befuddled : (