Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 6th February 2007, 21:12   #241  |  Link
Hans Ohlo

yes, but remuxing introduces new errors on other places of the stream due to skipping of frames while demuxing (mplayer, h264to etc. tested, all the same result, so no remuxing is the way i chose).

i will report the decoding bug
Hans Ohlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 02:39   #242  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillKotscha View Post
this whole render discussion(s) is drivin' me nuts... for myself I came to the conclusion, if I set the renderer to VMR7 (windowed) at least on my system I have always highest interoperability...
That's my conclusion too + no tv-scale bug + taking screenshots is possible.

@ chros
Yep, but after I've taken whole lot of them, I convert them to pngs - that's twice the work, but saves a lot of hdd space (especially when running more passes during the conversion - 2nd one already does some extra packing, the difference is rather large).

Update!
Revision 891 - Directory Listing
Modified Tue Feb 6 16:43:33 2007 UTC (8 hours, 40 minutes ago) by clsid2

Fixed grabbing to PNG.

Ta.

@ fastplayer
Thanks very much for the info.
Unfortunatelly the latest revision of clsid's sse icl9 is 885 (poped out today I think), so there's no reason for me to upgrade, since I can confirm that sse icl9 utilizes less cpu with various filters than any other compilation. I've gotta wait a while then.

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 7th February 2007 at 02:49.
HeadBangeR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 02:54   #243  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
Interesting. Improving auto detection of IDCT looks very hard, but worth while. Please post the sample movie.
I'm gonna cut a short clip, where I've marked the described errors (libav + auto/libmpeg2), directstreamcopy the video and upload tomorrow. I've scanned for similar errors thorugh the movie, and they appear from time to time, yet the mentioned part (see my screenshots approx. 2 pages earlier) is the worst.

PS. When I play with settings, sometimes the auto mode works all right, sometimes not, I've just marked. Nevertheless libav + XviD MMX iDCT is the only one 100% without bugs (apart from crappy decoding of packed bitstream, but that's another story).

cheers,
HDBR77
Old 7th February 2007, 09:13   #244  |  Link
Lancerevo

Hi guys, I was just wondering whether is there any ffdshow build that supports multithreaded h264 playback? I have a 1920x1080 video that does 50% of CPU Usage and I've checked in Task manager that it maxes out 1 core and leaves the other un-used.
Lancerevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 09:29   #245  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Ask ffmpeg developers.Many people won't be happy if ffmpeg h264 decoder is multithreaded, but more people will be.If you understand what I mean...
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 11:52   #246  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Ohlo View Post
yes, but remuxing introduces new errors on other places of the stream due to skipping of frames while demuxing (mplayer, h264to etc. tested, all the same result, so no remuxing is the way i chose).
Why would a de-muxer "skip frames"?.... If it did skip frames, then this anomaly should be reported also!

By all accounts, the MP4 container is the perfect partner for MPEG-4 AVC streams. And has far less overhead.
Old 7th February 2007, 14:11   #247  |  Link
Hans Ohlo

i also like the mp4 container, but if i demux the stream and pack it into mp4 (MP4Box -add part1_video.h264#video:fps=25 part1.mp4) the video is not playing smoothly (haali splitter or gabest splitter with coreavc, ffdshow...). in a mkv container it plays fine but shows some errors on other locations than the ffdshow crash (which remains at the same location btw. no matter what container).

i do not seem to get answers on my bugreport on the ffmpeg list :/
Old 7th February 2007, 14:35   #248  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hmmm...

Just to be certain.... Are you using the newest versions of MP4Box. And are you making sure the frame rate speed of your MP4 matches the sources frame rate speed?
Old 7th February 2007, 14:50   #249  |  Link
Hans Ohlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Hmmm...

Just to be certain.... Are you using the newest versions of MP4Box. And are you making sure the frame rate speed of your MP4 matches the sources frame rate speed?
MP4Box - GPAC version 0.4.3-DEV
GPAC Copyright: (c) Jean Le Feuvre 2000-2005
(c) ENST 2005-200X

and yes 25fps is the source framerate. i also tried without interleaving but the juddery playback stays
Old 7th February 2007, 14:57   #250  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Ohlo View Post
MP4Box - GPAC version 0.4.3-DEV
GPAC Copyright: (c) Jean Le Feuvre 2000-2005
(c) ENST 2005-200X

and yes 25fps is the source framerate. i also tried without interleaving but the juddery playback stays
Thanks.... I suppose it did no harm to check.

Sadly I can't test/play such high resolutions AVC sources with my "slow" PC.... Which is a real bummer
Old 7th February 2007, 18:35   #251  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Sample

@ haruhiko_yamagata:

I've cut a short sample, just uploading it + some more png screenshots. I will update my post, when I'm done.

http://xasonline.info/headbanger/ffd...arl.Sample.avi

http://xasonline.info/headbanger/ffdshow/ffdshow.rar

cheers,
HDBR77

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 7th February 2007 at 19:23. Reason: links added.
Old 7th February 2007, 19:41   #252  |  Link
fastplayer

I can't notice the difference between IDCT set to libmpeg2 or Xvid MMX... The distortions look bad to me with both settings (look at Keira's chest @ 0:24 and 0:33min). Am I missing something here?

Last edited by fastplayer; 7th February 2007 at 19:46.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 20:04   #253  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
I can't notice the difference between IDCT set to libmpeg2 or Xvid MMX... The distortions look bad to me with both settings (look at Keira's chest @ 0:24 and 0:33min). Am I missing something here?
I can't reproduce the distortions with libav + Xvid MMX (I've also tried Xvid-Xvid alone), only with libav + libmpeg2 (+eyebrow, Orlando's also). The auto function for iDCT still works as it wants to - I've got both distorted and proper decoding, depending on its mood.

PS. If it's the chest alone, then you could be looking at XviD encoding of dark scenes in its worst, though CC was added, and Didee's SixOfNine throws quants 2-3/3-4.

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 7th February 2007 at 20:07.
Old 7th February 2007, 20:11   #254  |  Link
fastplayer

OK, I was just wondering because you had the error pinned down at some specific scenes/frames.
Old 7th February 2007, 20:13   #255  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
OK, I was just wondering because you had the error pinned down at some specific scenes/frames.
The time-range you've given is full of decoding errors with libav + libmpeg2 - she looks as if an alien was trying to get out from beneath her skin.
Old 7th February 2007, 20:32   #256  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBangeR77 View Post
PS. If it's the chest alone, then you could be looking at XviD encoding of dark scenes in its worst, though CC was added, and Didee's SixOfNine throws quants 2-3/3-4.
Even the sea fog scene at the end of the sample looks terrible - with both IDCT modes. To be honest though, I've bever seen "good" fog in Xvid/DivX encodes. There's always some sort of "wobbling" effect...
Old 7th February 2007, 20:43   #257  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Even the sea fog scene at the end of the sample looks terrible - with both IDCT modes. To be honest though, I've bever seen "good" fog in Xvid/DivX encodes. There's always some sort of "wobbling" effect...
Have you tried it with XviD? Looks way better, and not so bad for an XviD encode (?)

Blah - you can compare the screens, I've uploaded them, so you will know for sure what I'm talking about all the time.
Old 7th February 2007, 21:05   #258  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBangeR77 View Post
Have you tried it with XviD? Looks way better, and not so bad for an XviD encode (?)
Less noise in the Keira-in-bed scene and less "wobbling" in the sea fog at the end of the sample (using Xvid 1.1.2 via ffdshow and "standalone").

Last edited by fastplayer; 7th February 2007 at 21:17.
Old 8th February 2007, 02:44   #259  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

ffdshow

Maybe xvid 1.1.2 is "more" standard-compliant decoder.
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 02:53   #260  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil_xxl View Post
Maybe xvid 1.1.2 is "more" standard-compliant decoder.
Still, there's one thing which has just come to my mind:
1) I can decode the above sample properly via ffdshow using either XviD 1.1.2 library or libavcodec with manually set XviD MMX iDCT - clsid's svn 843, sse, icl9.
2) Fastplayer can decode the sample properly only when using XviD library. Libavcodec + libmpeg2 idCT and libavcodec + XviD MMX are both causing artifacts - rev. ???

Another difference between builds? Shouldn't be - if both the decoding library and iDCT are set manually.

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl