Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 21st February 2005, 12:21   #201  |  Link
tiki4

Hello doom9,

thanks for the interim release. I'll be testing it later on.

tiki4
Old 21st February 2005, 22:22   #202  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

btw, does anybody know what xvid's turbo mode triggers internally? seems the xvid turbo flag is also not exposed in mencoder (and now I've just told you what is coming next).

@Ariakis: avs2yuv does indeed stay in the bg and will resume decoding if you exit the app. As this is highly undesirable (weird that when I kill the process I started mencoder is closed, but avs2yuv isn't) I've added some code in the upcoming version that'll look for any running instance of avs2yuv when abort is pressed, and kill the process instantly.
Old 21st February 2005, 23:43   #203  |  Link
North2Polaris

@Doom9

On the first tab under "Output", I am using:

Codec: AVC
File Type: AVI
FourCC: x264

When I use "Queue", the job line lists the Codec as "ASP". When I run the job, I get an AVC file, but shouldn't the codec in the job line be listed as "AVC"?

A small thing, hopefully.

Thanks.

North
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:35   #204  |  Link
hpn

Just finished a full movie first pass (150k+ frames) and the new MeGUI 0.161 works fine now. Thanks
Old 22nd February 2005, 08:38   #205  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@North2Polaris: close MeGUI, find the proper jobX.xml file, open it in notepad, copy and paste the contents and send it in a PM to me please so that I can have a look.

@edit: never mind, there's indeed a bug that'll be fixed in the next release.
Old 22nd February 2005, 21:02   #206  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

here is version 0.162

what's new:
xvid support
3 pass encoding in lavc mpeg-4 and x264 codec
bugfix: codec name is properly transmitted to queue
bugfix: aborting a job via abort button in the status window does not block any further jobs from being processed
bugfix: aborting a job stops avs2yuv
improvement: accuracy of the size prediction has been improved
improvement: accuracy of the estimated remaining time has been improved
improvement: bug report requirements are now stated at the end of the readme file

downloaded 69 times prior to removal
Old 23rd February 2005, 06:45   #207  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

Yust finished a very nice video with 0.161. Thanks for 0.162 - Xvid is great

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 23rd February 2005, 22:23   #208  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Here is v0.163

new: automated 2 pass encoding of lavc mpeg-4, x264 and xvid
new: probably many new bugs

make sure you read the readme to understand how automated twopass acts when using the queue.

I'll be moving towards MP4 output now but I'd appreciate if somebody could do some hard testing.. so that they can be fixed before I add a lot more code.

And if it's really used (I expect to see lots of posts from different people), I could also add automated 3 pass encoding.. the basics is now there (it's quite tricky to turn a program meant to encode what's in the GUI and double the work to be done without interfering with all the existing mechanisms)

Oh, and if somebody is interested in refactoring, let me know.. the code is so messed up you could probably spend days giving it a clean structure.
Old 24th February 2005, 13:38   #209  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I'm going to use mp4creator for the forseeable future.
Old 24th February 2005, 22:37   #210  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

here's v0.164

new: mp4 output (doesn't work with snow obviously)

how does it work: once encoding of a suitable job is done, the video output (named something.mp4 is renamed to be mp4 compliant (for MPEG-4 ASP that's something.m4v, for AVC that's something.264), then it's put into an MP4 file (that file has the name you specified)). The renaming is done automatically and existing files will be overwritten (just as mencoder overwrites existing files).

The output of mp4creator, plus mp4 statistics will be put at the end of the log. The log will only be shown once muxing has completed, so in case of muxing a full movie, the status will remain at 99% until muxing is complete.

Please keep all the mp4 statistics at the end of the log and if you have a sizeable number of them from reasonable input (preferably full movies, but at least 10'000 frames) send them to me.. it'll help figure out an accurate overhead calculation for automated encoding (that's where MeGUI is going.. give an AC3 file and AVS file, set a size, pick codec and parameters, and everything will be done for you).

So once again, KEEP THOSE MP4 STATISTICS

P.S. Forgot something in the readme: you need the most recent mp4creator: http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/mpeg4iptools

v0.164 was downloaded 64 times prior to removal
Old 25th February 2005, 08:12   #211  |  Link
cheburashka

@Doom9
You swapped "AVC Main" and "AVC Q & RC" tabs in 0.164.
Is that intentional?
I guess not.

And you did not add latest x264 (build 142+) options to configure usage of weighted prediction and adaptive BVOPS.
Old 25th February 2005, 09:09   #212  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
You swapped "AVC Main" and "AVC Q & RC" tabs in 0.164.
Actually, not I, VS.2003 did that. For some wicked reason, in the GUI designer everything is okay but when I compile and run the app, all the tabs are mixed up. I'll eventually (hopefully this week-end) do a redesign where only the tabs that are active are visible, and in that solution the tab order will be controlled by myself and thus the IDE can no longer interfere.

Quote:
And you did not add latest x264 (build 142+) options to configure usage of weighted prediction and adaptive BVOPS.
Are you talking about the VfW? I'm not using it. But if somebody can tell me how those options are exposed in mencoder, I'll gladly integrate them (it'll require an up-to-date build of mencoder though).
Old 25th February 2005, 09:28   #213  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Weighted prediction is enabled by weight_b, and adaptive B-frames are enabled by b_adapt.

Last edited by akupenguin; 25th February 2005 at 11:42.
Old 25th February 2005, 10:00   #214  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Weighted prediction is enabled by <i>weight_b</i>, and adaptive B-frames are enabled by <i>b_adapt</i>.
Thanks... btw, html code is not enabled so you have to use bbcode, and bbcode uses [ ] brackets instead of the html brackets.

Oh, are those enabled or disabled by default?
Old 25th February 2005, 10:43   #215  |  Link
celtic_druid

From the looks of ve_x264 they are disabled by default.
Old 25th February 2005, 12:51   #216  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@celtic_druid: by the way, I suppose I'd need a newer build than the 2/22 (the latest one on your mirror). Any chance we could get a 0day build?

And is it just me or are those two just exposed in mencoder (and perhaps the cli x264 encoder) and not the VfW?
Old 25th February 2005, 13:41   #217  |  Link
bond

hm i dont seem to get .mp4 output to work (default avc options), i only get a .mp4 file which actually is raw avc (but not muxed into .mp4)
i placed the latest mp4creator in the mencoder folder
i dunno but maybe this damn winme is causing this as it cant pipe streams via dos it seems (always has to decode to raw first and than feed the raw to mencoder), makes avs2yuv pretty unuseable practically

i noticed that when choosing level0 for subpixel refinement mencoder crashes (only seems to allow values > 1)

another thing: it might make sense to change the codec naming a little bit: i think instead of asp, avc, xvid and snow the following might be better:
- asp (xvid)
- asp (libav)
- avc (x264)
- snow
cause xvid is of course also asp and your gui offers two asp codecs for encoding, so it might also show this in the options

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 25th February 2005 at 13:43.
Old 25th February 2005, 13:44   #218  |  Link
celtic_druid

I put new builds up. x264 r144 and current XviD cvs head. Athlon64, XP, tbitd, pentium4 and 3. I assume you know where to find them before they get mirrored?
Old 25th February 2005, 14:00   #219  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Since the automatic backup script doesnt work as expected (too much timeouts generated corrupted copies and sometimes it "jumped" some files cause of the incomplete directory listing...) i'm mirroring the files by hand... so it may take a while (CD's site is quite slow too) before i update everything.
Old 25th February 2005, 14:34   #220  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I assume you know where to find them before they get mirrored?
Actually, no, so if you could show me the way..

Quote:
hm i dont seem to get .mp4 output to work (default avc options), i only get a .mp4 file which actually is raw avc (but not muxed into .mp4)
i placed the latest mp4creator in the mencoder folder
i dunno but maybe this damn winme is causing this as it cant pipe streams via dos it seems (always has to decode to raw first and than feed the raw to mencoder), makes avs2yuv pretty unuseable practically
The log should tell you something.. I catch the mp4creator stdout (but perhaps it too sends errors to stderr) and put it in the log. And because of mp4creators stupidity when it comes to input filetypes (I wouldn't mind indicating my input type as an additional flag, but using the extension, that's just weird beyond reason), I use the final output name as mencoder raw output, then rename (though.. you seem to have a problem with the renaming already because that is done prior to mp4creator starting). Either way, considering your avs2yuv problem I strongly suggest you upgrade to a reasonable OS Even with your CPU, there's no reason to stick to a crappy pseudo 32 bit OS (and W2K ran just fine on my 450 Mhz P2 back in the day).

Quote:
- asp (xvid)
- asp (libav)
- avc (x264)
- snow
Once I restructure the GUI (only show tabs in function of the selected codec), that'll happen..right I don't have enough space as it is (scrolling tabs is a nightmare). I really wished that libavcodec codec would have a more reasonable name.. it simply has no reasonable designation.