Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th January 2019, 04:58   #54101  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there is no general answer to this.

dci p3 bt 2020 and bt 709 have a white point of D65.
i don't see a reason why a display should ever change it's white point.
What does the option do then ?
Old 5th January 2019, 05:35   #54102  |  Link
huhn

it should replace the original meta data that can't work after 3d lut correcting.

having the mastering gamut in there is pretty normal if it is properly used by TV who knows.

for the nit option i guess the highest number your TV can do stable.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 00:38   #54103  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it should replace the original meta data that can't work after 3d lut correcting.

having the mastering gamut in there is pretty normal if it is properly used by TV who knows.

for the nit option i guess the highest number your TV can do stable.
So, after the 3dlut (process hdr)..

Should the meta data be rec2020 or dci-p3.

And the Nit, should that be the 10000 nit , or the peak measured display nit ?
Old 6th January 2019, 07:52   #54104  |  Link
etc6849

Now I'm getting a black screen when I start video, RTX 2080 Ti fans go full speed and HDMI drops out.

This is strange as it had been working perfectly for the first 5 movies I watched and was totally beautiful too (with the exception of periodically not entering FSE).

I did receive the RTX 2080 Ti a week ago so likely the graphics card needs replaced, but I figured I would post the logs here to be sure. I don't do any gaming, but I will probably download a benchmark test program to see if the card freezes to eliminate MadVR. Any recommendations for debugging?

The card is this one:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2387-KR

Logs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p0...aw97Wd8aAvTKOO
etc6849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 09:28   #54105  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Should the meta data be rec2020 or dci-p3.
do you have a screen that can do more than DCI P3? well no so you don't have to care the 3D LUT will do the gamut mapping anyway. just use the default setting.
Quote:
And the Nit, should that be the 10000 nit , or the peak measured display nit ?
clearly not 10000 so feel free to use the measured peak brightness.
i personally don't think this is a useful measuring anyway on an x900f the peak brightness for 10% is far higher than 2%.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 11:04   #54106  |  Link
el Filou

Holy cow, $1300 just for madVR.
I know everybody do what they like with their money, but is there really a visible improvement in quality with a 2080 Ti Vs. something more affordable? Or is the goal here to have the card run at lighter load so as to make less noise?
Old 6th January 2019, 11:38   #54107  |  Link
ryrynz

Both. But it's the new HDR processing that really needs that extra oomph.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 13:03   #54108  |  Link
DMU

AMD Vega fullscreen windowed hdr issue

Greetings!
My system:
- AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (with Radeon Vega 8)
- Windows 10 1809
- MPC-HC + LAV + madVR
All last updated.
In FSE mode UHD HDR video looks great. In FSW mode video looks significantly darkened. Is there a solution to this problem? Or is it a bug in the Radeon drivers or Windows 10?
Thank you very much!
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 13:39   #54109  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You are not wrong, I was hoping to keep up with madVR latest updates to HDR, but I basically have it all disabled so I think I am just as well with Passthrough tbh.

I need a better card than a 2GB 1050, but for me personally there has to be a limit on what I can justify, and I just can't justify hundreds on another graphics card.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 14:54   #54110  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
Greetings!
My system:
- AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (with Radeon Vega 8)
- Windows 10 1809
- MPC-HC + LAV + madVR
All last updated.
In FSE mode UHD HDR video looks great. In FSW mode video looks significantly darkened. Is there a solution to this problem? Or is it a bug in the Radeon drivers or Windows 10?
Thank you very much!
Take a picture of the OSD (Ctrl + J) and post it here. Is your display entering HDR mode? Does the backlight in the picture menu go up to its highest setting when the video is played and does the OSD in madVR indicate AMD HDR?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 16:15   #54111  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Take a picture of the OSD (Ctrl + J) and post it here. Is your display entering HDR mode? Does the backlight in the picture menu go up to its highest setting when the video is played and does the OSD in madVR indicate AMD HDR?
According to statistics, it seems, everything is OK, but the video in FSW is much darker (unnatural)
Attached Images

Old 6th January 2019, 18:05   #54112  |  Link
Warner306

Your attachments need to be hosted somewhere else. Did you confirm your display is in the correct HDR mode?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 18:14   #54113  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Your attachments need to be hosted somewhere else. Did you confirm your display is in the correct HDR mode?
Yes, TV (Samsung UE40NU7100) goes to HDR mode.
What is wrong with my attachments?
Old 6th January 2019, 18:17   #54114  |  Link
Klaus1189

We cannot open them now, use external file hoster like google drive.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 18:19   #54115  |  Link
giulianoprs

should "fse" be the right way for the HDR and 10bit? this thing also interests me.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 19:00   #54116  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
We cannot open them now, use external file hoster like google drive.
FSE (greate picture)
FSW (dark picture)
TV (Samsung UE40NU7100) goes into the HDR mode in both cases.

Last edited by DMU; 7th January 2019 at 09:37.
Old 6th January 2019, 20:35   #54117  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Tell me about it. My 1060 is just on the edge of keeping up and I did have to lower some settings to make it work reliably in the latest test build. The MINIMUM card I'm going to get for an upgrade is a 2070 at this point.
Old 6th January 2019, 23:03   #54118  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Tell me about it. My 1060 is just on the edge of keeping up and I did have to lower some settings to make it work reliably in the latest test build. The MINIMUM card I'm going to get for an upgrade is a 2070 at this point.
I was thinking of going down the Windows 8.1 route, but that is a bit of a step back in some respects, and unsure what I would gain.

My problem just now is a new 4K TV, and working with only a 2GB 1050 card, I am messing about with either just Passthrough, or using the Shaders option with most of it disabled, so don't think I am gaining anything with it.

What does confuse things is the more I mess with things, the less I understand whether that be DX9/DX11/FSE and the likes now I am messing with HDR, as I think I have things sussed out but then I can try another 4K file and things change and I may get dropped frames, or skipping with nothing really changing apart from seeing the Qs suddenly dropping off then back up again when I am within the target of ms.

So I mess with things again, and out of nowhere I may get an issue again, so it is hard to know what is the best setting or what to do or not do at this point.

So right now I am using madVR as an HDR switch as such as I dont have the right amount of spare capacity in the card I have at the moment.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 00:01   #54119  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
should "fse" be the right way for the hdr and 10bit? This thing also interests me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
use fse for frame packed mvc 3d.
Use fse for uhd hdr.
Use fsw for everything else.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 02:31   #54120  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I was thinking of going down the Windows 8.1 route, but that is a bit of a step back in some respects, and unsure what I would gain.

My problem just now is a new 4K TV, and working with only a 2GB 1050 card, I am messing about with either just Passthrough, or using the Shaders option with most of it disabled, so don't think I am gaining anything with it.

What does confuse things is the more I mess with things, the less I understand whether that be DX9/DX11/FSE and the likes now I am messing with HDR, as I think I have things sussed out but then I can try another 4K file and things change and I may get dropped frames, or skipping with nothing really changing apart from seeing the Qs suddenly dropping off then back up again when I am within the target of ms.

So I mess with things again, and out of nowhere I may get an issue again, so it is hard to know what is the best setting or what to do or not do at this point.

So right now I am using madVR as an HDR switch as such as I dont have the right amount of spare capacity in the card I have at the moment.
My 6g 1060 is right on the edge of being able to play well with the newest test build (which is being considered an RC so it'll likely end up close to the next official build). I've had to mess with a few things but I've got it so that I can play with all the functionality of the new HDR functionality with NO trade performance options enabled. It takes some compromises to do that, however. Giving up some chroma upscaling love, as an example. And this is only with 24fps movies. 60fps I'm GOING to have to create a profile one of these days to see if I can get that stable. I was able to play some 60fps demos the first time I tested, but, then I got an actual 60fps movie and that showed me just how punishing it can be. You have FAR less rendering time to play with for 60fps movies obviously. For now I can live with that. I have 1 60fps movie and I can always use the UB820 or the SHIELD to play that one for now. A 1050 I think is not going to be sufficient for the latest iteration of the HDR functionality without some trade offs. It MIGHT work for some movies but others it may struggle with depending on what options you have set. My advice (which comes from another user when I was struggling with the latest builds) is to sacrifice chroma upscaling for now and see what you can get away with on the HDR side of things. It's truly fantastic what the latest build is able to do.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling