Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2014, 19:57   #27681  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Because if you use 24 or 50Hz, you're not in direct RGB 4:4:4 anymore. There will be a conversion (RGB 4:4:4 RGB -> (by TV) YUV 4:2:2 -> (by TV) RGB 4:4:4)
PS: Samsung limitation, but maybe it changed recently, even if I doubt it.
Okay, is there a way for me to check this? I mean, your TV from 2009 is pretty old by today's standards (no offence!).
Old 30th November 2014, 20:53   #27682  |  Link
pirlouy
_

From first post of this thread: http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png in full screen
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 21:04   #27683  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
but maybe it changed recently, even if I doubt it.
They have not changed anything.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 21:52   #27684  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
From first post of this thread: http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png in full screen
Thanks.

Ok, so I'm using 23,976 refresh rate and I can see the image saying 4:4:4. Is there something more I need to do?
Old 30th November 2014, 22:00   #27685  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
Thanks.

Ok, so I'm using 23,976 refresh rate and I can see the image saying 4:4:4. Is there something more I need to do?
And 4:2:2?
Old 30th November 2014, 22:07   #27686  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
And 4:2:2?
I see only 4:4:4.

Let me upload a photo:
http://home.halden.net/mordor/img.jpg

Last edited by Xaurus; 30th November 2014 at 22:13.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 22:22   #27687  |  Link
MSL_DK

Then your display supports RGB 4:4:4, nothing more to think about I envy you your TV
Old 30th November 2014, 22:39   #27688  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Then your display supports RGB 4:4:4, nothing more to think about I envy you your TV
Ok cool, so what was mentioned by pirlouy for other refresh rates than 60 doesn't apply to this Samsung set then?
Old 30th November 2014, 22:52   #27689  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Ok cool, so what was mentioned by pirlouy for other refresh rates than 60 doesn't apply to this Samsung set then?
No ... and with your picture, I regret that I have not bought a samsung 4k What model is it?
Old 30th November 2014, 23:16   #27690  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
No ... and with your picture, I regret that I have not bought a samsung 4k What model is it?
It's this one.

A couple of questions:
  • Should I still select NV12 in LAV filters?
  • What is preferred when choosing between NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling, or "use NNEDI3 to double Luma resolution"? Is only one of them needed? For example use Jinc in chroma upscaling then NNEDI3 to double Luma / chroma resolution.
Old 30th November 2014, 23:34   #27691  |  Link
pirlouy
_

By curiosity, when you're in PC mode, are you able to enable "LED Clear Motion" in your Samsung options ? Again I doubt it, but it would be nice if you surprised me again.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 00:01   #27692  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
It will be interesting to see how much ALU power will be left for the renderer with HEVC 10 bit decoding (not supported by Maxwell 2.0 VPU). Luckily, this will most likely apply only to 4k which won't require something like NNEDI3 scaling.
Not sure if the GPU will be used at all for HEVC decoding, if the VPU doesn't support it. I don't really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
Quick question: how can I tell if my Toshiba laptop running Intel HD Graphics 3000 on a Sandy Bridge i5 + nVidia GTX 560M (Optimus) is using NNEDI3?
IIRC, you need at least an HD4000 to get hardware OpenCL support. But even the HD4000 is by far too slow for NNEDI3. You can force madVR to use the NVidia GPU for OpenCL, though, by using the following registry value:

HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR\OpenCL\forceVendor

A search for "forceVendor" should give you more details on how to use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Shiandow posted impressive NEDI/NNEDI3 comparisons in this thread, you said that some of your test patterns didn't pass the test but does vegetation look equally artificial?
From what I've seen, although Shiandow did a really good job to reduce these artifacts as much as possible, NEDI has noticeably stronger directional artifacts compared to NNEDI3. If you are bothered by the fractal like NNEDI3 artifacts, you will be even less happy with NEDI, I believe.

Well, at least that's without the SuperRes post processing. Not sure how that changes things. I haven't really had time yet to study Shiandow's algorithms in detail. Hopefully I'll get around to do that rather sooner than later. But I don't know yet...

Quote:
Should I still select NV12 in LAV filters?
Leave LAV filters to default. The defaults are usually optimal for madVR.

Quote:
What is preferred when choosing between NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling, or "use NNEDI3 to double Luma resolution"? Is only one of them needed?
Best bang for the buck is luma doubling, followed by chroma upscaling. Usually doubling chroma has the lowest benefit. If you have performance to spare, up the neurons for luma doubling.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 00:11   #27693  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
From what I've seen, although Shiandow did a really good job to reduce these artifacts as much as possible, NEDI has noticeably stronger directional artifacts compared to NNEDI3. If you are bothered by the fractal like NNEDI3 artifacts, you will be even less happy with NEDI, I believe.

Well, at least that's without the SuperRes post processing. Not sure how that changes things. I haven't really had time yet to study Shiandow's algorithms in detail. Hopefully I'll get around to do that rather sooner than later. But I don't know yet...
I agree that NEDI will likely look more 'artificial' than NNEDI3.

FWIW there'll soon be a working (open source) implementation of SuperRes (with or without NEDI) in MPDN. It's still a bit experimental though. I still need to try out all the things that were impossible to achieve using only shaders, but have become possible with MPDN's more flexible system.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 00:14   #27694  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Which limitations of the shaders were the main problem?
Old 1st December 2014, 00:27   #27695  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
By curiosity, when you're in PC mode, are you able to enable "LED Clear Motion" in your Samsung options ? Again I doubt it, but it would be nice if you surprised me again.
No sorry, almost everything in the menu is greyed out, including those kind of options.
Old 1st December 2014, 00:30   #27696  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Best bang for the buck is luma doubling, followed by chroma upscaling. Usually doubling chroma has the lowest benefit. If you have performance to spare, up the neurons for luma doubling.
Thanks madshi, this is useful info.

So if I understand you correctly, just push chroma doubling as far as it goes, then put "the rest" into chroma upscaling (something like Jinc)?
Old 1st December 2014, 00:37   #27697  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Which limitations of the shaders were the main problem?
Mainly the fact that I couldn't save any intermediate results. I had to somehow store the current image, the original image, and the difference between the current and original image, simultaneously. I could just barely manage this by abusing the alpha channel, but I could save at most 2 channels of the original, it didn't improve the legibility of the code and also limited the kind of processing I could do. For the chroma version of SuperRes it also didn't help that I couldn't make use of MadVR's chroma conversion. I could either disable it entirely or try to reverse it. In both cases I essentially needed to reverse engineer MadVR's chroma processing.

That said not even I am entirely sure why but for some reason the adaptation I made for MPDN seems to beat the (unpublished) experimental version of SuperRes that I had developed. Maybe because I can save more information of the original image, or because it sped up enough that I could use 16 bit processing.

Oh and the fact that I could reuse MPDN's scaling algorithms also helped. Although in the end the shader version couldn't handle anything more complicated than bilinear anyway because I had to do everything in 1 pass (nowhere to store the intermediate result).

Last edited by Shiandow; 1st December 2014 at 00:44.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 07:03   #27698  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
So if I understand you correctly, just push chroma doubling as far as it goes, then put "the rest" into chroma upscaling (something like Jinc)?
You mean luma and yes. I'd recommend Jinc AR on chroma for bang for buck also.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 09:12   #27699  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Mainly the fact that I couldn't save any intermediate results. I had to somehow store the current image, the original image, and the difference between the current and original image, simultaneously. I could just barely manage this by abusing the alpha channel, but I could save at most 2 channels of the original, it didn't improve the legibility of the code and also limited the kind of processing I could do. For the chroma version of SuperRes it also didn't help that I couldn't make use of MadVR's chroma conversion. I could either disable it entirely or try to reverse it. In both cases I essentially needed to reverse engineer MadVR's chroma processing.

That said not even I am entirely sure why but for some reason the adaptation I made for MPDN seems to beat the (unpublished) experimental version of SuperRes that I had developed. Maybe because I can save more information of the original image, or because it sped up enough that I could use 16 bit processing.

Oh and the fact that I could reuse MPDN's scaling algorithms also helped. Although in the end the shader version couldn't handle anything more complicated than bilinear anyway because I had to do everything in 1 pass (nowhere to store the intermediate result).
Ok, thanks. Sounds like the plans I have should take care of most of those problems.
Old 1st December 2014, 13:34   #27700  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You mean luma and yes. I'd recommend Jinc AR on chroma for bang for buck also.
Yes luma doubling, of course. Thanks guys.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling