Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th July 2014, 10:00   #26881  |  Link
ajp2k11

I've had a problem with MadVR for quite some time now (not sure when it started, maybe with upgrade to Win8) where most files have trouble playing. Most files just play the sound with a black screen, somtimes after quite a while (up to a minute) the picture appears but most of the time the audio hangs too after a while. If I try to go full screen or fast forward MPC-HC hangs.

I'm not sure it's the exact problem though because my system is much more modest and based on AMD graphics (6650M). It sounds similar enough though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I added the reg key again, just to make sure. I ran the fixes in the codec tweak tool as well as selected the recommended preferred decoders. I also had previouly disabled Media Foundation and MS Codec Tweaks in Win7DSFilterTweaker.

Upon selecting NNEDI3 for image upscaling, the graphics card key was added under OpenCL, "GeForce GT 750M" with Binary (binary), DriverVersion (string), and KernelCRC (DWORD) inside.

However, the same problem remains as pointed out by the other thread up there as well. Black screen, madVR OSD frozen, audio working. However now I can close the player and MPC-HC and madVR exit gracefully without the need to manually kill the processes.

Filters currently loaded:
- DirectSound: Speakers (Realtek High Defi...
- madVR
- LAV Audio Decoder (internal)
- LAV Video Decoder (internal)
- LAV Splitter Source (internal)
ajp2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 10:20   #26882  |  Link
ryrynz

Would recommend jumping on the bug tracker and creating a reporting an issue.
Having madshi look at a log would probably be the quickest way of resolving this..

Does changing the refresh rate do anything? Have you tried uninstalling and deleting the drivers in devicemanager and then reinstalling?
make sure use separate device is unchecked.

Last edited by ryrynz; 11th July 2014 at 10:29.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 10:32   #26883  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

FWIW, the bug tracker is for suspected bugs in madVR. dansrfe's problem sounds more like an OS/driver problem or misconfiguration to me, to be honest. These NVidia Optimus systems seem to be a bitch to get to work sometimes, it seems. Although most users seem to have it running fine. It's ridiculous that you have to rename the MPC-HC exe file to have any chance to use the NVidia GPU in the first place. None of this is madVR's fault, from what I can see. That said, I can of course look at a log. Maybe I can see something...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 13:27   #26884  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
These NVidia Optimus systems seem to be a bitch to get to work sometimes
I've found a number of reports of the same issue over the years with nobody having reported resolving it, with two people having the issue could be good to finally sort it out I guess.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 14:42   #26885  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
However, the same problem remains as pointed out by the other thread up there as well. Black screen, madVR OSD frozen, audio working. However now I can close the player and MPC-HC and madVR exit gracefully without the need to manually kill the processes.
I can't recall if you've already been asked and answered this questions before, but does the same problem occur regardless of if you are playing the video(s) in its/their native resolution window size as well as fullscreen? If it occurs at the video(s) normal window size then we can probably rule out the scaling algorithms as a factor.

Likewise try changing MPC to EVR custom preset from madVR to see if that can rule out both madVR and/or LAV as being related to the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I've found a number of reports of the same issue over the years with nobody having reported resolving it, with two people having the issue could be good to finally sort it out I guess.
There is a driver bug that has existed for a long time, and you may be seeing past reports related to that as opposed to this specific issue being discussed now. I used to have that NNEDI3 driver related issue, but madshi found a work around for the driver bug. I have an Optimus system, and don't currently have any of the types of problems discussed so its not necessarily an Optimus system issue since its not occurring on all systems at this point.

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 11th July 2014 at 20:07. Reason: merged posts
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 15:05   #26886  |  Link
dansrfe

I uninstalled the device driver from Device Manager and re-installed the latest beta Nvidia driver with clean installation selected. I also tried setting Auto-Zoom to 100% to prevent any Image scaling and the same black screen with audio persists.

Here is an attached log: https://www.sendspace.com/file/dij2vd. For some reason I'm still having to manually kill both MPC-HC and madVR again when I need to exit.

Also, madVR is reporting that Overlay is not supported on this GPU in the OSD when Overlay mode is selected. Because of that the above log is in Windowed mode. If I attempt to FSE then madVR's OSD freezes, becomes blurred and extra large.

This seems like an MPC-HC or OS/Driver level problem to me. I can manually select High-performance NVIDIA processor for any other application (including Chrome) and the selected app works as expected including any Flash/HTML5 players. However the fact that madVR detected the GPU and stored the key under OpenCL when I had temporarily selected NNEDI3 under image doubling (any scale) makes me believe that MPC-HC is probably the culprit.

Last edited by dansrfe; 11th July 2014 at 15:08.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 15:43   #26887  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Two strange things in that log: (1) VSync position information doesn't seem to be coming from the GPU driver. (2) For some reason the decoder doesn't seem to send more than 1 frame.

Don't know, maybe (2) is a consequence of (1) somehow, although I don't know why it would. In any case, (1) seems to be a GPU driver problem.
Old 11th July 2014, 16:56   #26888  |  Link
dansrfe

FWIW, when I manually switch to Integrated Graphics in Nvidia's Control Panel for the renamed mpc-hc, madVR and MPC-HC work as expected.

However if I set it to Auto (Integrated graphics) or High-performance NVIDIA processor, MPC-HC/madVR/all other renderers freeze. The decoder only gives one frame as madshi mentioned as well.

Another interesting observation, when I run madLevelsTweaker, it only lists the GPU as Intel HD Graphics 4600. I'm not even sure how to force 0-255 on the Nvidia output.

Last edited by dansrfe; 11th July 2014 at 17:12.
Old 11th July 2014, 17:23   #26889  |  Link
clsid

Also re-install the Intel drivers.

Have you tried any games or other Direct3D applications?
Old 11th July 2014, 17:34   #26890  |  Link
dbezerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
In my opinion quadrupling in this case seems like a complete overkill.
Scale factor for 960->1080 is 1.125, so doubling and downscaling it seems pointless.
If you can use doubling with 128 neurons or quadrupling with 32+32 neurons (random numbers, not sure how the performance actually scales), you might actually get better results from more neurons with "only" doubling and perhaps Jinc3+AR instead of Lanczos+AR.
If you have power to spare and can max both doubling and quadrupling, consider the crazy power consumption/heat you'll be getting.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Consider running some tests to see for yourself both the image quality and performance/power consumption implications.

Thanks. I will play with it during the weekend.

Another question - Looking back at this thread I saw debates over PCI-E version for AMD cards, but what about NVidia? Would an old PCI-E 1.1 impact performance? Or even 1.1 is fine for NVidia based cards?

Last edited by dbezerra; 11th July 2014 at 17:44.
dbezerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 18:14   #26891  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Also re-install the Intel drivers.

Have you tried any games or other Direct3D applications?
Uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics 4600 device driver from the Device Manager and installed the latest beta driver from Intel. The Intel driver control panel interface got upgraded but aside from that, same problem.

I haven't tried any games or Direct3D applications yet. Is there a test application I can run that would determine if the everything is working as expected on the driver side?

Last edited by dansrfe; 11th July 2014 at 18:22.
Old 11th July 2014, 18:17   #26892  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbezerra View Post
Thanks. I will play with it during the weekend.

Another question - Looking back at this thread I saw debates over PCI-E version for AMD cards, but what about NVidia? Would an old PCI-E 1.1 impact performance? Or even 1.1 is fine for NVidia based cards?
1.1 should be fine for nvidia and MadVR usage.
this issue has something to do how AMD handle d3d <-> opencl (for nnedi/error diffusion) data transfer
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 20:11   #26893  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics 4600 device driver from the Device Manager and installed the latest beta driver from Intel. The Intel driver control panel interface got upgraded but aside from that, same problem.
Checking that your Intel gpu driver was updated was going to be my next recommendation, but I see you've now done that with out it making a difference.

Do you have all the available Windows critical updates (detected by Windows Update) installed? Are you using 64-bit Windows, or 32-bit Windows?

Since madshi pointed out v-sync issues based on the log it may be worth experimenting with those settings in Nvidia control panel. The default should be "Use global settings (Use the 3D application to settings)". First try it with that configured to off for the mpc file under program settings. If that doesn't work try forcing it as on (even though mpc/madVR usually doesn't listen to Nvidia's instructions for v-sync). Also check your Intel V-sync setting(s). On my system its listed under Intel HD Control Panel -> 3d, and Vertical Sync is set to driver settings (but you can try with application settings selected and see if that makes a difference).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 11th July 2014 at 20:22.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 20:24   #26894  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I think discussion about dansrfe's problem should be moved to another thread - unless there are indications that it's really a madVR specific problem, which currently doesn't seem to be the case, as far as I can see.

This thread should not be used for general PC support problems.
Old 11th July 2014, 23:00   #26895  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

AMD Driver update:

With Windows 8.1 and an R9 270X, Catalyst 13.12 is still the best driver to use to get the most out of your GPU.

I again had to roll-back from the latest RC driver since it couldn't handle the profiles I use to maximize performance.

Just an FYI for those interested in trying the latest RC drivers from AMD

QB
Old 12th July 2014, 13:59   #26896  |  Link
innocenat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmm... Try disabling the options "use a separate device for presentation" and "use a separate device for DXVA processing". Does that help? If not, try reducing the size of the GPU queue and the number of pre-presented frames.
It's already disabled, and GPU queue and pre-presented is at 8 -- should I lower it?

Also I typo'd. I am using madVR 0.87.10
Old 12th July 2014, 17:05   #26897  |  Link
James Freeman

Just to clarify,

Blu-Ray is encoded and stored on the disc as Ycbcr 4:2:0, then madVR converts YCbCr to RGB and does all the processing and output in RGB, correct?
I have read on AVSForums that most TVs convert incoming RGB signal back to YCbCr for processing unless we choose a special option to tell the TV to skip the conversion and output pure RGB.
On a Panasonic this option called "1080 Pixel Direct".

An easy indicator would be if the Color/Saturation slider is still working if we feed RGB signal into the TV, then the TV converts incoming RGB to YCbCr for processing and back again to RGB for the panel.
So basically we get another conversion step which may (or may not) degrade the signal.

What I want to say is:
People who use HDMI to connect madVR to your TV, make sure you use the "PC/RGB/Pixel Direct" mode on the TV for one less conversion step.
Old 12th July 2014, 18:57   #26898  |  Link
huhn

most plasma can't do 4:4:4 at all even with pixel perfect mode so this is a never ending story...
the best choice depends on the TV.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 06:26   #26899  |  Link
omarank

In my Optimus enabled laptop with GT650m graphics, I can use NNEDI3 upscaling (with no frame drops for SD videos) by adding a registry key to force NVIDIA gpu for OpenCL processing; but I am not able to use any of the error diffusion algorithms due to frames getting dropped when they are enabled. I was wondering if this was due to intel igpu being used for directcompute processing. If this is a possibility, can a registry key be added similarly to force the NVIDIA gpu for directcompute processing?
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 00:35   #26900  |  Link
wikita

hi guys, i have a quick question: given how GPU-intensive madvr is, should i use it for my XBMC home theater setup? the GPU will drive the price of my HTPC way up, thereby defeating the point of having one
wikita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling