Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 19th September 2015, 17:08   #41  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

While you're designing the native VS build, I have a question regarding Vapoursynth's multithreading and DGSource. Is it generally safe to allow multithreading for DGSource or is it better to use core = vs.get_core(threads=1) before it and core = vs.get_core(threads=-1) afterwards? I assume it's mostly up to the GPU driver but there's no general opinion on this matter.
Old 19th September 2015, 17:17   #42  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
While you're designing the native VS build, I have a question regarding Vapoursynth's multithreading and DGSource. Is it generally safe to allow multithreading for DGSource or is it better to use core = vs.get_core(threads=1) before it and core = vs.get_core(threads=-1) afterwards? I assume it's mostly up to the GPU driver but there's no general opinion on this matter.
This isn't avisynth. All filters have to specify how they want to be threaded. Only the first get_core() call matters, all arguments are ignored for later calls (you should never need to use any of the arguments apart from when debugging or developing).
Old 19th September 2015, 18:05   #43  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
This isn't avisynth. All filters have to specify how they want to be threaded. Only the first get_core() call matters, all arguments are ignored for later calls (you should never need to use any of the arguments apart from when debugging or developing).
What about in the case of an Avisynth plugin loaded in Vapoursynth?
Old 19th September 2015, 18:18   #44  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
What about in the case of an Avisynth plugin loaded in Vapoursynth?
It's still not avisynth.
Old 19th September 2015, 20:46   #45  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

I don't know enough about Vapoursynth yet to comment with respect to DGSource(). I'll let you know what I discover about it.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 22:38   #46  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Things are looking real good, guys and gals. I am playing video with random access from a .vpy script with 64-bit DGDecodeNV.dll.

The only stuff left is to change the bitblt's for pulldown to Vapoursynth ones (AVSenv->BitBlt is obviously not available) and to implement the debug overlay. Then it's done!

Last edited by videoh; 19th September 2015 at 22:41.
Old 19th September 2015, 22:45   #47  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Awesome!
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 22:48   #48  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

OMG that's so awesome!
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 02:04   #49  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Here is some tasty DGDecodeNV cooked Vapoursynth-style. Your test results will be appreciated. The standard DGIndexNV should be used for indexing. Note that hinting is gone for Vapoursynth as it will be converted to use Vapoursynth per-frame properties.

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGDecodeNV_Vapoursynth.zip

This is a dual-function DLL for both Avisynth and Vapoursynth. Sample script:

import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
core.std.LoadPlugin('dgdecodenv_vs64.dll')
ret = core.dgdecodenv.DGSource('alba.dgi',debug=1)
ret.set_output()

Last edited by videoh; 20th September 2015 at 02:16.
Old 20th September 2015, 05:51   #50  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Here is some tasty DGDecodeNV cooked Vapoursynth-style.
Did a quick test to load a random ts file and a bluray file and it works like a charm. MPEG2 and H.264 source.
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 13:19   #51  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Sweet. Thank you for the testing.
Old 20th September 2015, 15:45   #52  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

any plans to get plugin for non-windows systems?

Last edited by sl1pkn07; 25th September 2015 at 19:11.
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 16:06   #53  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Currently, no, but it's not ruled out in the future.

Last edited by videoh; 20th September 2015 at 21:14.
Old 20th September 2015, 18:00   #54  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Thanks for the test build Unfortunately it might take me a while to get to test it so you'll probably end up releasing a final build before that.. Nevertheless, great job once again!
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:11   #55  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

I did in fact release it as DGDecNV 2050.
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:04   #56  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I didn't want to open a new thread so I'm posting this here since it seems to concern DGSource.

With a simple script,

Code:
import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
clp = core.dgdecodenv.DGSource('L:\ALL_ABOUT_EVE\eve.dgi')
clp.set_output()
vspipe throws an error "Specified filter framerate must be normalized" and gives the Windows crash report window. It points to ucrtbase.DLL.

I checked on a different source I happened to have on my computer, and it doesn't have any problems.

I'm using Vapoursynth R28RC1 with Python 3.5 and the latest slipstream of DGDecNV. Can you verify if this is more likely related to VS itself or DGDecNV?
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:43   #57  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

I added an extra check in r28 to make sure a certain framerate only has one representation. It makes checking for the same framerate much easier. Use vs_normalizeRational on the framerate field and it will work.

This change was made to fix things like 60000/2002 not being considered equal to 30000/1001.
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:05   #58  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

So we need to include VSHelper.h and call vs_normalizeRational() anytime the framerate is set? Seems odd to error out and core dump on that, when setVideoInfo calls it anyway.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:15   #59  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

It's more than odd. Vapoursynth now breaks working filters "to make things easier". It's a terrible precedent that evolution of Vapoursynth can break filters.

If Vapoursynth detects a "non-normalized framerate" (whatever that may be, I have seen no formal explanation) then why can't Vapoursynth normalize it internally if it needs to do so? Instead of having the code once, you require every source filter writer to do it? And for me it's not just the source filter; the indexer component will need to be changed as well (I'm not going to report one frame rate through the GUI and index file and then give a different one to Vapoursynth). Vapoursynth has code to detect a non-normalized rate and throw an error, but not to normalize it? Vapoursynth can't call vs_normalizeRational() itself on the incoming frame rate? That is bizarre.

And what if a stream actually carries a non-normalized framerate? The source filter has to lie about it? I'm not just talking about multiples but also small deviations from exact rates.

Speaking for myself, I have no intention of modifying DGDecNV this way, so if things stand then DGDecNV will be unusable in Vapoursynth (and I'll have a bad taste in my mouth about spending my time supporting Vapousynth). At least I'll save some time by not having to do it again for DGDecIM.

Last edited by videoh; 3rd October 2015 at 12:59.
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:24   #60  |  Link
jackoneill
unsigned int

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
It's more than odd. Vapoursynth now breaks working filters "to make things easier". It's a terrible precedent that evolution of Vapoursynth can break filters.

If Vapoursynth detects a "non-normalized framerate" (whatever that may be, I have seen no formal explanation) then why can't Vapoursynth normalize it internally if it needs to do so? Instead of having the code once, you require every source filter writer to do it? And for me it's not just the source filter; the indexer component will need to be changed as well (I'm not going to report one frame rate through the GUI and index file and then give a different one to Vapoursynth). Vapoursynth has code to detect a non-normalized rate and throw an error, but not to normalize it? Vapoursynth can't call vs_normalizeRational() itself on the incoming frame rate? That is bizarre.

And what if a stream actually carries a non-normalized framerate? The source filter has to lie about it? I'm not just talking about multiples but also small deviations from exact rates.

Speaking for myself, I have no intention of modifying DGDecNV this way, so if things stand then DGDecNV will be unusable in Vapoursynth (and I'll have a bad taste in my mouth about spending my time supporting Vapousynth). At least I'll save some time by not having to do it again for DGDecIM.
Oh, come on. It's not the end of the world.

This isn't about small deviations from "exact" rates. You simply need to pick the smallest pair of numbers that represent your frame rate, e.g. 24000/1001 rather than 120000/5005. That's all there is to it.

It's one additional line in the VapourSynth filter, and maybe 10 in the indexer, if you copy vs_normalizeRational..