Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 7th October 2007, 20:54   #21  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Non-mod16 now supported. The algorithm just doesn't act on the extra pixels, simple as that.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 21:38   #22  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@Dark Shikari
Thank you,
With current version VirtualDubMod and FilmCutter start and id funcition names correctly.
@squid_80
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid_80
If so I'd suggest ditching the compression.
Do you have time to describe the relevant issue with the compressed version of the dll ?
Ebobtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 01:28   #23  |  Link
Mtz

I'm not good in avisynth, but I made a small test on a VOB source.
In the first 177 frames (the duration of a movie scene), the filter is working. At frame 178 and after this frame when the action of the movie is changed, the filter is not working anymore.
Screenshots:
Frame 177
http://i23.tinypic.com/10z7q85.jpg
http://i22.tinypic.com/if0kyu.jpg

Frame 178
http://i20.tinypic.com/1231p4x.jpg
http://i22.tinypic.com/28kuhpc.jpg

The first screenshot from 177 and 178 is the original.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 02:05   #24  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
I'm not good in avisynth, but I made a small test on a VOB source.
In the first 177 frames (the duration of a movie scene), the filter is working. At frame 178 and after this frame when the action of the movie is changed, the filter is not working anymore.
Screenshots:
Frame 177
http://i23.tinypic.com/10z7q85.jpg
http://i22.tinypic.com/if0kyu.jpg

Frame 178
http://i20.tinypic.com/1231p4x.jpg
http://i22.tinypic.com/28kuhpc.jpg

The first screenshot from 177 and 178 is the original.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yup, I found an algorithm bug dealing with the improper (lack of) resetting some internal arrays... fixing now.
Old 8th October 2007, 03:48   #25  |  Link
rfmmars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Yup, I found an algorithm bug dealing with the improper (lack of) resetting some internal arrays... fixing now.
Here's what I am finding using it in AVS-p.........I only see a small numbers of pixals in the center changing shape. so this may be related to the other members post about after frame 177.

Richard
rfmmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 04:02   #26  |  Link
squid_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebobtron View Post
@@squid_80
Do you have time to describe the relevant issue with the compressed version of the dll ?
Because it was compressed it wasn't telling the OS correctly about what .dll files it needed to run.

If anyone is still having problems install the Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package.
squid_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 04:06   #27  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmmars View Post
Here's what I am finding using it in AVS-p.........I only see a small numbers of pixals in the center changing shape. so this may be related to the other members post about after frame 177.

Richard
Yup, there is a MAJOR bug in the current version that drastically decreases its capability. I have a working version right now and I'm recording bitrate decreases of over 30% in some cases, and on longer clips also (the bug caused anything other than short clips to end up in uselessness). Updated version will be uploaded soon.
Old 8th October 2007, 05:18   #28  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Results on Cruncher's source material, settings 4-25-10-true, 2484 frames, 1920x800, at CRF 18:

Without GrainOptimizer:
18301kbps
SSIM: 0.961

With GrainOptimizer:
13970kbps
SSIM: 0.959

This is with the new, fixed version. Uploaded and fixed
Old 8th October 2007, 05:57   #29  |  Link
burfadel

Works great, the 4,25,10 setting is much more effective, or seems to be, than the default. The strength of 25 actually resulted in a smaller file size than that if it were set to 50! (only slight, 4kb on the clip I used but thats still significant). I did find a few other things, although this is with only testing on that one 30 second segment of video...

- It does not work well with other noise reducers. I tried a clip with a couple of different types, enabled and disabled, and with the grainoptimise above and below them. In all cases the grainoptimiser by itself seemed to be better... and resulted in a smaller file. The actualy quality would be better than the combined settings unless the source is chronic.

- The optimiser HAS to be run before the resize filter, not after. On the test clip I used having it before the resize filter increased its effectiveness close to 100 percent over that of when its placed after the resizer (its twice as effective if placed before). The clip Dark Shikari used for his test wasn't resized (from what I can tell), and hence he got his 30 percent effectiveness. I got 15 percent reduction with the filter right after the resizer (spline64resize) and 30 percent right before the resizer!

- Its quite fast, faster than most other noise reducers I've seen. Once optimised it will likely to be one of the fastest available!

Last edited by burfadel; 8th October 2007 at 05:59. Reason: Correction
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 06:18   #30  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
- The optimiser HAS to be run before the resize filter, not after. On the test clip I used having it before the resize filter increased its effectiveness close to 100 percent over that of when its placed after the resizer (its twice as effective if placed before). The clip Dark Shikari used for his test wasn't resized (from what I can tell), and hence he got his 30 percent effectiveness. I got 15 percent reduction with the filter right after the resizer (spline64resize) and 30 percent right before the resizer!
Now this is very interesting. I would have expected running it after the resize filter to be much better, since its meant to operate on the same macroblocks the encoder operates on. It would be interesting to figure out exactly why its so much better before the resizer. Perhaps because a resizer like Spline "spreads out" the effect of the grain a lot?
Old 8th October 2007, 10:35   #31  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

i tested your filter with the suggested settings from above and got some artifacts:

normal, "optimized"

in the first example some horizontal lines got introduced, in the second example the background get's "optimized" away
ToS_Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 15:24   #32  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToS_Maverick View Post
i tested your filter with the suggested settings from above and got some artifacts:

normal, "optimized"

in the first example some horizontal lines got introduced, in the second example the background get's "optimized" away
That looks very good to me--what horizontal lines are you talking about? That looks like the filter actually made the result a bit sharper, which looks quite good IMO. Are these images after or before encoding?

Edit: Ah yes, I see the slight horizontal lines... I would suggest you use slightly weaker settings.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 8th October 2007 at 15:28.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:29   #33  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

first example the background wall, left of johnny's shoulder.

also there are 4x4 blocks during motion scenes, do you want a shot of it as well?

EDIT: oh, the images are from the avs-script, before encoding

Last edited by ToS_Maverick; 8th October 2007 at 15:35.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:33   #34  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*

I can attest to this as well. What do you propose Shikari? This is coming from the default settings of just GrainOptimizer(). Perhaps you didn't thoroughly check the filter before submitting the newer build?
Terranigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 15:57   #35  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

That looks really strange, because my code has something to specifically stop that sort of thing... can one of you upload a VOB/M2V sample for me to test on?
Old 8th October 2007, 17:55   #36  |  Link
Mtz

Also bad encodes with the file from attachment. I uploaded the file to test yourself your plugin because I don't want to post here too many screenshots. On this source I think xvid encode will look better than x264 with or without grainoptimizer.
The vob is here.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 18:03   #37  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToS_Maverick View Post
first example the background wall, left of johnny's shoulder.

also there are 4x4 blocks during motion scenes, do you want a shot of it as well?

EDIT: oh, the images are from the avs-script, before encoding
4x4 blocks.. can you please upload the source? I'll need to update my heuristic to fix this.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:13   #38  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

It seems some of the problems seem to be caused by using GrainOptimizer with another denoiser, which seems to always give negative results. I've noted this in the original post.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:40   #39  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

Encoder like VC1 PEP or Cinevision encoder use particular HVS masking filter for grain: spatial/temporal filtering in dark area.

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 19:04   #40  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

@Dark Shikari:
here is a still active link to the source.

as Sagittaire suggested, you could include something like that to x264, so that x264 behaves like XviD with grain, if somebody is interested in such behaviour. maybe the more you compress, the less random the grain gets.