Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2012, 15:05   #1  |  Link
Monkeylord

PAL TV - Deinterlace or Not?

I posted this in the New & Alternative Codecs forum because I'm encoding to WMV, but in hindsight that was a mistake as I believe most people laugh at WMV... ho hum. I'll paste my problem here and hope someone can advise on my deinterlacing dilema at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeylord View Post
I'm nearing the point in my DVD backup quest when I turn my head towards my DVD's of TV series... more specifically my old PAL TV series.

I'm in the UK, so these are all PAL shows in PAL format.

Almost all my old shows (Red Dwarf, Bottom, The Young Ones, etc) were shot on video and so the DVD's are pure interlaced. If I BOB them I get a 50fps video stream with movement on every frame.

The way I see it, I have 3 options:

1. BOB them and encode at 50fps
2. BOB then decimate (or blend) back to 25fps
3. Encode at 25fps interlaced

With option 1, the filesize ends up huge as it's essentially the same as 2 episodes in one file. With option 2 I lose half the motion, which to me looks really "off" upon playback, especially after all these years of seeing these shows with their full range of motion. Even blending the frames doesn't look right.

I was toying with the idea of option 3, but I'm using the WME command line interface, and every time I get some kind of error which closes the encoding window almost instantly.

Has anyone managed to successfully encode an interlaced WMV using the command line?

I've made sure all my settings are correct, so it can only be the input.

The command line wouldn't accept either a fragment of a VOB or a demuxed M2V.

Currently I've been processing AVI's that I've created using avisynth/Vdub and encoding to Lagarith, but they've all been from my R1 DVD's and deinterlaced. My tests with PAL last night were unsuccessful.

I understand that AVI's don't have any interlacing flags, so when I process a VOB and spit out an AVI I imagine WME doesn't recognise it as interlaced and so doesn't progress.

Can anyone advise please?

I'll provide samples and any script details I can once I get home from work.
Monkeylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 15:27   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

What do you intend to do with them?
Old 10th September 2012, 21:02   #3  |  Link
Monkeylord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
What do you intend to do with them?
Stream them to my Xbox360's.
Monkeylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 23:22   #4  |  Link