Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 20th March 2002, 16:31   #1  |  Link
Gora

Ogg tools features request.

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you very much for your OggCut tool Tobias, it's nothing short of a godsend.

I saw in another post that a user requested the addition of a feature that allows one to enter the desired filesize of a movie so that OggCut searches for the nearest keyfram to allow one to cut it. I must admit, this would be a nice feature, although the utility is very easy to use without it. (DesiredFileSize/CurrentFileSize) x VideoLength works easy enough, and then just slide the slider along to the nearest point.

Another useful feature, although it'd perform the opposite to OggCut would be an OggJoin util that allows one to join OGM files. I am currently not aware of any way of joining 2 OGM's so would find this util increadibly useful.

That is my wish list for now. It's not a demand! I know that all work done here is voluntary and done in your own time. I can only admire the abilities of those of you that do make these utils and express my gratitude.

Cheers
Dean.
Gora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2002, 16:43   #2  |  Link
ChristianHJW

First we need a multichannel Vorbis DSF !

HeHe,

good thing to start this thread Gora, i really could have thought about this myself !

Tobias, you're a star and we need a multichannel Vorbis DSF !
Old 20th March 2002, 17:53   #3  |  Link
Ripe73
DVDR Freak!

HI!

Well i have a little request a little clock in the right upper screen how much time left or how long the movie has run.

Thanks again and good luck with your job!!!
Old 20th March 2002, 20:23   #4  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Re: First we need a multichannel Vorbis DSF !

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristianHJW

Tobias, you're a star and we need a multichannel Vorbis DSF !
Me believes it's closer than you think
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:41   #5  |  Link
osgr0Lag

I've just had the same idea of joining two OGM and, while waiting for someone to solve this problem I think there is (at least) one workaround for that.

There is a program called Goldwave (shareware I think, don't remember now ) that can manipulate ogg Vorbis files with a plug-in from the program site. With this program you can open your OGM files, you will get only the audio part, that will be deflashed into WAV. This two WAV files can be joined and reencoded to OGG. The way to get a video-only-avi editable by VDub is on this forum, search for demultiplexing ogm. Then you only have to join the two video files with VDub, the two ogg with goldwave and mux them. Be very aware of de-sync problems at the middle of the movie. I know this is a ***very*** crappy way but is the only I know.

Hope will help

osgr0Lag
osgr0Lag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 22:46   #6  |  Link
Koepi

Joining two ogg files is as easy as:

copy /b file1.ogg+file2.ogg target.ogg

Just a hint...
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 06:49   #7  |  Link
Gora

copy /b doesn't work

I have tried the copy /b .... on several occasions and it didn't work.
Gora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 14:19   #8  |  Link
outlyer

Quote:
Originally posted by Koepi
Joining two ogg files is as easy as:

copy /b file1.ogg+file2.ogg target.ogg

Just a hint...
well, as I just asked in the "duplicated" thread, would this make a legl (aka standard) ogg? I don't know oggs internally but I guess they have some kind of headers and this way them would maybe be incorrect.
outlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 15:34   #9  |  Link
Koepi

I wouldn't post it if it wasn't producing a valid ogg stream.
Old 24th April 2002, 16:06   #10  |  Link
A_Pleite

Quote:
Originally posted by osgr0Lag
I've just had the same idea of joining two OGM and, while waiting for someone to solve this problem I think there is (at least) one workaround for that.

There is a program called Goldwave (shareware I think, don't remember now ) that can manipulate ogg Vorbis files with a plug-in from the program site. With this program you can open your OGM files, you will get only the audio part, that will be deflashed into WAV. This two WAV files can be joined and reencoded to OGG. The way to get a video-only-avi editable by VDub is on this forum, search for demultiplexing ogm. Then you only have to join the two video files with VDub, the two ogg with goldwave and mux them. Be very aware of de-sync problems at the middle of the movie. I know this is a ***very*** crappy way but is the only I know.

Hope will help

osgr0Lag
An OgmVDub-version (just like vdub-asf) would be much easier
A_Pleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2002, 16:22   #11  |  Link
Koepi

A_Pleite,

so you're going to code it? Damn cool, I asked Avery some weeks ago and he didn't answer, so it's really up to you!

Nice to have so many people spending their time for the wellness of the cmmunity!

SCNR,
Koepi
Old 24th April 2002, 16:35   #12  |  Link
A_Pleite

hey, donīt be mean
Iīm just going into Delphi, the frst thing I could do for the next few months would be a bitratecalculator
A_Pleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 00:36   #13  |  Link
oddball

copying OGG files causes the time stmaps to go wrong. Say you have a 15 minute OGG and a 10 minute OGG. You copy the two together using Koepi's method and you get a file that you CAN play fine in say Winamp for instance. BUT it does not show as a 15 minute clip but takes the second merged OGG time of 10 minutes. This causes problems if you try to use OGGMux becauseOGGMux only appears to try and Mux in the last second part of the merged OGG file. It ignore the first part from what I can tell altogether.

If anyone finds a way to create a way to join OGG audio files correctly so that the file is valid to OGGMux and shows the correct time stamp in Winamp etc I would be greatfull
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 00:56   #14  |  Link
outlyer

@Koepi:
I don't doubt you'll only post things that work but what I mean was exactly what was pointed by oddball, I don't know how an ogg stream is internally but if it has some sort of time tags, a binary concatenation (copy /b) WILL NOT make a 100% correct stream. This doesn't mean it will not play, but it will probably make it hard to handle by some (future) editors.

If them doesn't have any kind of time tags just forget all I said :P
outlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 08:54   #15  |  Link
Koepi

OGG is designed for streaming and error robust, means, a stream cn have dropped pakets or duplicates for example.
So it is designed that you can simply copy them together.

It's not my fault that all those windows implementations suck as they are flawed!

Try playback in linux and it should work. If there is a command-line version of ogg123 for windows, you should try playing the resulting file with that. Should work like charme.

So, don't bug me, it's spec-conform to simply concatenate those files (read the archives over at xiph.org...)
Old 25th April 2002, 11:14   #16  |  Link
oddball

As was said Koepi. Playback is not a problem. But the timestamps get mashed so progs like OGGMux will not write out a correctly muxed OGM file from a merged OGG file.
Old 25th April 2002, 23:11   #17  |  Link
Charlieds

@Koepi
With HeadAC3he i've encoded first 1-5000 AC3 frames to ph2.ogg, then 5001-1000 AC3 frames to ph2.ogg.
Joined with copy /b ph2.ogg+ph3.ogg ph4.ogg
Playing with Winamp 2.80 is ok and the timestamp is correct, but looking at the file info i can see 2 chained streams with different lenghts and serial numbers. The plugin is in_vorbis.dll 1.2 b3 by P.P.
This is something different than a single ogg stream.

Muxing ph4.ogg with your OGGMux 0.8.4 gives me a mute ogm file and the file size is only slightly bigger than the avi, probably the muxing failed with that kind of .ogg file.
Britanniae in terra lata.
Charlieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2002, 01:48   #18  |  Link
Koepi

As you request, I repeat myself:

It's not my fault that all those windows implementations suck as they are flawed!

Maybe you understand it now?
Old 26th April 2002, 01:59   #19  |  Link
oddball

Or just more fussy about accuracy
Old 26th April 2002, 18:17   #20  |  Link
osgr0Lag

ok, could we discuss about some right way to do that under windows?. I've just downloaded sources from Tobias' OggCut and got a Delphi Manual. I presume that from that code would be easy to do an OggJoin, as OggCut does all functions we need for that. But I know mainly nothing about Ogg structure... (that is, how is an ogg file, a for what is used each variable) I'd thank help about that. Please don't blame me for knowing nothing
osgr0Lag is offline   Reply With Quote