Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th July 2003, 12:01   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

My PowerDVD's Error Code 89030000- Unknown File Format Fix

My PowerDVD's Error Code 89030000- Unknown File Format Fix
Courtesy of 2CL

Once in awhile, I'll get that dreaded "Error code 89030000, Unknown file format" from PowerDVD XP 4.0 when trying to view my transcoded movie after DVD95Copy processing. Now I've been told that DVD Copy Suite has the same problem too. Ideally, I like to use PowerDVD to watch all my movies on my computer. To the best of my knowledge, I think I have been intermittently experiencing this problem since DVD95Copy v1.4. Currently, I am using 1.6 beta. Anyway, I came about a fix for this but you're going to need the same amount of hardrive space available because you're going to decrypt again.

Surprisingly , I discovered that there ARE still encrypted blocks existing in my DVD95Copy backup files. Now, I initially used DVD Decrypter and confirmed before processing through DVD95Copy 1.6b that all blocks have been decrypted.

Now here's what we need to do. We need to pass the DVD95Copy files once more through another ripper but this time using Smartripper v2.41. Again we need the have same amount of harddrive space available so whichever harddrive you use, create another destination folder.
1. Open up Smartripper. By default, if you still have a DVD in your DVD drive, it will detect it and show its files. Don't worry. We're going to browse to your DVD95Copy movie source folder in next step.
2. Look to the top right and you'll see a button with a folder icon. Click on that and browse to your DVD95Copy movie source folder. Smartripper will close for a few seconds but will reopen again and showing your correct movie files.

X once
    Options

X Region Free (patch "Video_ts")
    X Unlock drive
    X DeMacrovision
    VOB files access

X auto

What you need to monitor, while Smartripper is doing its magic, is the "encrypted blocks" field in the "Code-Info" section. You can only view this during the rip, not after. This is why I mentioned to use Smartripper as this is an important field that DVD Decrypter doesn't have so it's a good asset. You suppose to have zero encrypted blocks present but sooner or later, you'll see some. I start seeing them while my main movie's titleset is ripping. Did you noticed that the "Current Key" field says "not encrypted" but you still have encryption existing?
Now when you go to use PowerDVD to view your newly decrypted movie, you shouldn't get the unknown format error again and your movie will play. My confusion is before DVD95Copy I had NO encrypted blocks but after DVD95Copy, I had some present. I even did the steps above prior to DVD95Copy and confirmed that I had no encrypted blocks. hmmmmm...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are my replies to a couple of quotes from another thread. I decided to post this in another thread as I only use DVD95Copy and not DCS.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbass in this thread, DVD Copy Suite (DCS)
yep definitely it's dvd95copy. That's one of the reasons amongst others I quit using it. You wanna get rid of it? Uninstall PowerDVD and when installing it again don't put any updates in for PowerDVD. I've never had that error in any other program I've used.

Having said the above dvd95copy is used by quite a few who are quite happy with it and get excellent results.
I've done that before and still had the problem existing. I even also applied the patch/update prior to uninstalling and that still didn't fix it.

Quote:
Originally posted by DMagic1 in same thread, DVD Copy Suite (DCS)
Well it seems that error only comes up if you rip straight from the disk. It doesnt do that if you run from a dvd already decrypted to the HD.
DVD95Copy 1.6 beta can now rip and decrypt straight from the DVD but call me old school but I still prefer to rip my files separately using DVD Decryptor. So your quote of "error comes up only..." is not entirely true. I still get that unknown file format, Error code: 89030000 from PowerDVD after transcoding.

Last edited by 2COOL; 15th July 2003 at 09:28.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote