Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th December 2020, 15:59   #1  |  Link
subtitler

.srt subtitles to dvb_subtitles on the command line?

I'm trying to get from a .srt subtitle file + a .ts video file => a .ts video file with a dvb_subtitle.

My .srt (just an example):
```
00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:05,000
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi vel hendrerit massa.

00:00:05,000 --> 00:00:10,000
Aliquam dolor sapien, molestie ac sagittis eu, tempus nec est.

00:00:10,000 --> 00:00:28,000
Morbi id sem eu sapien consectetur imperdiet. Morbi sed purus et sapien interdum placerat vitae quis orci.
```

My .ts: sample_1920x1080.ts from https://filesamples.com/formats/ts

I know that Subtitle Edit has some capabilities here. I can use SubtitleEdit like this on the command line:
```
.\SubtitleEdit.exe /convert 'test_subtitles.srt' Blu-raysup /resolution:1920x1080 /overwrite
```

This creates a test_subtitles.sup file as expected.

I then use ffmpeg to include the .sup subtitles, like this:

```
.\ffmpeg.exe -y -i 'sample_1920x1080.ts' -fix_sub_duration -i 'test_subtitles.sup' -map 0:v -map 1:s -vcodec copy -acodec copy -scodec dvbsub -copyts -muxdelay 0 -max_delay 0 'output.ts'
```

This works, but the results are sometimes not very readable. Here's a screenshot:

Do I have any other options here? Or options within subtitleedit/ffmpeg to f.ex. make the subtitles be bigger? Something that I can do from the command line as I need to do this for many movies.

I learned from the author of SubtitleEdit that it's indeed possible to increase the font size if using the graphical user interface of SubtitleEdit (see here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...ment-734986814). However, I wish to do this using a command line tool.
subtitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2020, 16:38   #2  |  Link
Nikse555

What happens if you use a lower resolution for the sup file (e.g resolution:720x480)?
Perhaps the video player upscales the subtitles?
Nikse555 is online now   Reply With Quote