Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th November 2017, 20:14   #47141  |  Link
huhn

looks like it i haven't tried it out myself.
and it's not like an older driver doesn't work for 1709 or newer.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 00:16   #47142  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
I agree. Even check out the effect of low deband. Now I still leave it enabled, but it's not a totally harmless filter.
I made sure the low setting removed as little detail as possible when providing feedback as to its settings. The trade off was always intended to be next to trivial for the low setting in particular.

Last edited by ryrynz; 13th November 2017 at 00:21.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 11:54   #47143  |  Link
d3rd3vil

So whats the most realistic outcome atm regarding Dolby Vision? Probably a PowerDVD 18 support in April 2018? Or first a way to convert the DV stuff to better suited formats for the TVs usb port?

Dolby should just release a DV software player on their own so people can play THEIR shit!
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 12:37   #47144  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
So whats the most realistic outcome atm regarding Dolby Vision? Probably a PowerDVD 18 support in April 2018? Or first a way to convert the DV stuff to better suited formats for the TVs usb port?

Dolby should just release a DV software player on their own so people can play THEIR shit!
Or people could just stop obsessing about Dolby Vision. The HDR10 mandatory layer plays just as well, and if you don't have a 12bits display or content handling ICtCp (which UHD Bluray doesn't) the differences are minimal. The optional Dolby Vision layer is 1080p only, and the only thing it adds is 12bits over 10bits as well as dynamic metadata. Given the excellent quality of MadVR's dithering, I suspect the PQ difference from the higher bit depth (especially from a 1080p layer) would be close to nil. And dynamic metadata makes a bigger difference on low-end displays (those with a limited native contrast).

Have you compared a title in Dolby vision vs watching it in HDR10 on a high-end display? Can you qualify what you lose exactly when playing the HDR10 layer vs Dolby Vision? Those who have tried usually see minute differences and DV doesn't necessarily come on top for all PQ aspects.

DV is also a pain to calibrate by the way, and won't happen for projectors for a while.

It's not as if Dolby Vision content was not playable. So my advice is: sit back and enjoy HDR10. HDR10+ is more likely to be supported by MadVR than Dolby Vision any time soon.

In any case, between PowerDVD supporting Dolby Vision and MadVR supporting the HDR10 mandatory layer, I know which player I'll use, and it's not PowerDVD...
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 12:44   #47145  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Well I do enjoy HDR10 thats for sure but having the extra touch would be great. HDR10+ well first that has to come especially for a bit older displays and then we need content for it. Wont happen before well maybe Q3-Q4 2018. So first lets concentrate on DV.

And regarding minimal differences you might be right ofc. But some movies look almost the same on Bluray vs. UHD Bluray due to 2k mastering anyway. Also minimal differences sometimes. But still we watch the big stuff if we can dont we
Old 13th November 2017, 14:26   #47146  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Well I do enjoy HDR10 thats for sure but having the extra touch would be great. HDR10+ well first that has to come especially for a bit older displays and then we need content for it. Wont happen before well maybe Q3-Q4 2018. So first lets concentrate on DV.

And regarding minimal differences you might be right ofc. But some movies look almost the same on Bluray vs. UHD Bluray due to 2k mastering anyway. Also minimal differences sometimes. But still we watch the big stuff if we can dont we
Resolution is the least important part of bluray vs UHD Bluray. HDR vs SDR, 10bits vs 8bits, wider gamut vs rec-709, HEVC compression and immersive audio are a lot more significant (and visible/audible) than 2K vs 4K. You get all that with HDR10.

So there is a much bigger difference between bluray and UHD Bluray than there will ever be between HDR10 and DV (or HDR10+).

Again, does your display support 12bits natively? Have you compared DV vs HDR10 on the same display with the same UHD Bluray? Can you describe and quantify the loss when you play the HDR10 layer of a DV title vs when you play it in DV? You are not answering any of the questions I've asked.

It sounds like you are very much influenced by marketing rather than facts.

IMHO Madshi has far better things to do (i.e. things that can produce far more visible differences in PQ) than implementing Dolby Vision, which is, to use Steve Jobs' words about bluray, "a bag of hurt" in many ways (and certainly for Madshi).

Dolby needs to know the peak brightness of the display. MadVR can't provide that, so will never get a license from Dolby, just like Lumagen will never get a license from Dolby for the Radiance Pro. You can keep asking, but it won't make it happen as long as Dolby Vision remains a proprietary system and Dolby controls who gets a license and who doesn't. It's not in Madshi's hands, even if he wanted/could spend the resources to support DV. DV passthrough from a licensed player, maybe, but again, what's the point if you lose all of MadVR's processing goodness?

Happiness is within reach: just forget about Dolby Vision
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 13th November 2017 at 14:30.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 18:41   #47147  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Trust me I know he has more "important" things to do. Like everyone else right now. Dolby Vision is more than unimportant for almost everyone and we wont see it in the next couple of months I certainly know that and its a damn shame thats what I am saying.

And its true its the 10bit and the HDR that makes the biggest difference. I think so too. And still the real 4k stuff looks a lot sharper than any 1080p material. The difference there is noticable too like the one between HDR10 and DV. It is not THAT big, not THAT important and still it is a nice piece to have in MY opinion.

Many dont care for DV many dont even care for HDR. I care for all of that good stuff
Old 13th November 2017, 19:10   #47148  |  Link
nussman

We get it! It's very important for you, but there is no need to repeat this Dolby Vision stuff in this thread until you have new and useful informations about it ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 05:09   #47149  |  Link
austinminton

From what I gather about dolby vision, madvr would have to passthrough the metadata and not look to convert it into sdr. Its a black box and has licensing needs for decoding. I am also not sure if we will be able to use any of madvr's excellent processing algorithms on dolby vision encoded videos.

Ease of passthrough implementation is something I think only madshi can comment on.

It would be great to have dolby vision as more and more devices are becoming dolby vision capable and we have started getting proper (non-demo) material for it.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 06:33   #47150  |  Link
ryrynz

Like just about everything open standard will prevail, HDR10+ will drop Dolby Vision into near obscurity.
I'd rather see improvements to NGU, and sweet additions like antialiasing, temporal denoising, line darkening and Avisynth scripts with automatic profiling.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:06   #47151  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I'd rather see improvements to NGU, and sweet additions like antialiasing, temporal denoising, line darkening and Avisynth scripts with automatic profiling.
Do want!
Old 14th November 2017, 07:29   #47152  |  Link
ryrynz

When the average madVR user starts using Avisynth processing filters and madshi adds inbuilt madVR configs for them for ease of use, things are gonna go nuts.
Just using the GPU won't sometimes be enough, we're already seeing the best cards taxed to the limit with UHD content, this will allow people to get the most from their systems combined processing power.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:57   #47153  |  Link
thighhighs

I think for more power need SLI\CF support. Sometimes someone ask about it. madshi say on avsforum, he can implement multi-gpu support, but it very low in priority list. So...

Regarding avisynth, some video players like potplayer (and kmp mb, idk), support avs scripts. You can configure player profiles based on source fps, resolution, fourCC and more.
sr for bad eng

Last edited by thighhighs; 14th November 2017 at 10:45.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 14:16   #47154  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Quote:
Like just about everything open standard will prevail, HDR10+ will drop Dolby Vision into near obscurity.
Thats pure speculation from top to bottom for next year. Almost no TV even has HDR10+ support and there are no movies with it, nothing. It might and probably will fight Dolby Vision but who knows. And if there is no DV support for PC software there wont be for HDR10+ unless its a lot easier to implement only god knows why. But it would be nice to somehow passthrough DV to the DV capable tvs. On the other hand is that even possible to activate the tvs mediaplayer or DV engine via PC?
Old 14th November 2017, 17:39   #47155  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Thats pure speculation from top to bottom for next year. Almost no TV even has HDR10+ support and there are no movies with it, nothing. It might and probably will fight Dolby Vision but who knows. And if there is no DV support for PC software there wont be for HDR10+ unless its a lot easier to implement only god knows why. But it would be nice to somehow passthrough DV to the DV capable tvs. On the other hand is that even possible to activate the tvs mediaplayer or DV engine via PC?
Passthrough should work...but I haven't tried it myself as I don't have a TV that supports DV.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 18:55   #47156  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

What is the best player, which is working with madVR (from recommended list) in your opinion?

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 18:59   #47157  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
What is the best player, which is working with madVR (from recommended list) in your opinion?
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 19:28   #47158  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

id say MPC-HC and Potplayer..i prefeer MPC-HC...
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 20:12   #47159  |  Link
rancorx2

mpc freezes after resume from pause

hi,
does anyone know how to avoid the video from freezing after pausing for a while and then trying to resume it?

doesn't happen on evr but whenever i pause a video when madvr is the renderer, playback does not resume or takes a few minutes for the video to continue, the audio plays but not the video straight away, most of the time i have to close mpc and reopen the video.
rancorx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 21:14   #47160  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Also D3D11VA deinterlacing? Pretty pleaaase?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling