Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2011, 21:26   #7621  |  Link
mkanet

Hi Madshi,
I only use sageTV; which is directshow based. It can use as a video renderers: "EVR", "VMR", and "System Default" (which will most likely NOT work with MadVR). I'm able to define any external DS mpeg2 decoder (like LAV Video) OR use SageTV's builtin mpeg2 decoder along with a dscaler deinterlace filter (all the old ones that used to come with dscaler). I might be able to use a dscaler deinterlace filter that's not part of the old dscaler package.

My display refresh rate is 59.940hz. It can also do 60.000hz. I use 23hz (23.976 or as close as possible to it) for Blu-ray media.

Please see sageTV configuration options in the screenshots below. It looks like it can use all the old school dscaler deinterlace filters; but, not with LAV Video; unless somehow sageTV allows a post-process DS filter to insert itself in the filtergraph that sageTV uses.

EDIT: I just downloaded and installed Dscaler 5 mpeg2 DS filter. I didnt even know there was one! It has builtin IVTC. I can't wait to go home and try it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The DScaler IVTC Mod only decodes MPEG2, so giving it a try wouldn't affect AVC/VC-1 decoding at all. Just set DScaler to "preferred" in MPC-HC (if you're using MPC-HC). Which renderer are you using, btw, and which display refresh rate?

Last edited by mkanet; 8th December 2011 at 21:33.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 22:44   #7622  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I'm able to define any external DS mpeg2 decoder (like LAV Video) OR use SageTV's builtin mpeg2 decoder along with a dscaler deinterlace filter (all the old ones that used to come with dscaler). I might be able to use a dscaler deinterlace filter that's not part of the old dscaler package.
The DScaler IVTC Mod I was talking about is not a deinterlace filter. It's a modded DScaler MPEG2 decoder with built in IVTC.

Quote:
My display refresh rate is 59.940hz. It can also do 60.000hz. I use 23hz (23.976 or as close as possible to it) for Blu-ray media.
If you have proper IVTC running then you should set your display to 23Hz for 1080i60 movie content, too.

Quote:
EDIT: I just downloaded and installed Dscaler 5 mpeg2 DS filter. I didnt even know there was one! It has builtin IVTC. I can't wait to go home and try it!!!
The standard DScaler MPEG2 decoder does not do proper/complete IVTC. Only the DScaler IVTC Mod does. You can find it at AvsForum. I guess we're OT here, though, so I'll stop discussing that here. If you do a search on DScaler IVTC Mod you should find all the help that you need.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 05:06   #7623  |  Link
mkanet

Problem finally resolved!! Smooth as silk video

All:
I apologize for bringing this forum thread off topic. I want to thank nevcairiel and madshi for all your help and time. I really means a lot to me.

There is no more stutter!!! Dscaler IVTC mod mpeg2 decoder can handle removing 3:2 pulldown from weird TV movie encodings that have quickly changing framerates; and, restore it properly to 23.976fps framerate.. It also knows what to do for when there's interlaced/progressive Video content.

Dscaler settings:
3. 3:2 playback smoothing= Disabled
4. Inverse Telecine= Enable only if IVTC flags are found
5. Adjust FPS if Any Telecined Film=Set to 23.976/24 FPS

I am using Reclock's VBscript to change my display automatically to 24.000hz when "film" material is detected and fine tunes 23.976fps to original framerate at 24.000fps; and also restores original audio pitch/speed (resampled audio still sounds great). When Video content is detected, Reclock changes the display to 59.940hz/59.940fps

Of course, I still use LAV video for everything else; just not mpeg2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If you have proper IVTC running then you should set your display to 23Hz for 1080i60 movie content, too.

The standard DScaler MPEG2 decoder does not do proper/complete IVTC. Only the DScaler IVTC Mod does. You can find it at AvsForum. I guess we're OT here, though, so I'll stop discussing that here. If you do a search on DScaler IVTC Mod you should find all the help that you need.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 15:28   #7624  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I'm not sure this can be further improved without a full blown IVTC, which i'm not willing to invest in right now.
One thing you can try, change the CUVID deinterlacer to 25p/30p, and see if that helps at all?
Using the Gabest Mpeg-splitter with lav video seems doesn't show the judder : very smooth playback like this.
Any idea why this is ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 18:40   #7625  |  Link
mark0077

Hi nev,

Just one tiny issue I notice with the wvc1 cuvid decoder in LAV Video. When seeking, the image becomes corrupt / shows lots of blocky squares briefly.
With ffdshows wvc1 decoder there is no such corruption on seek, and with lav video with cuvid for vc1 disabled there is no such corruption either, only with cuvid vc1 decoder enabled.

Could it be an nvidia issue, or something with the way you're handling something in the cuvid implementation.

I'm on Win 7, using NVidia GTX 295.
It quickly clears itself up but noticible nonetheless. If interested in looking at this at some point, and you need more input from me let me know.

Last edited by mark0077; 9th December 2011 at 18:47.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 18:41   #7626  |  Link
DragonQ

Does anyone know what the best colour space output is best when using EVR? I have the LAV Video Decoder setup to output NV12 but I notice some banding when watching TV using EVR in MediaPortal.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 18:54   #7627  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Does anyone know what the best colour space output is best when using EVR? I have the LAV Video Decoder setup to output NV12 but I notice some banding when watching TV using EVR in MediaPortal.
NV12 gives you hardware accelerated (DXVA/2) deinterlacing with EVR on ATI (not sure if on Nvidia you'd use CUVID anyways and it's deinterlacing). RGB32 output you lose that deinterlacing through DXVA/2 with EVR but gain dithering I believe which should reduce banding, also with YADIF software deinterlacing, you can use that, so it's a win win to use RGB32 when using EVR IMO. If I'm missing something, hopefully someone should correct/fill me in.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:03   #7628  |  Link
DragonQ

I use CUVID with vector adaptive deinterlacing for everything it supports, I don't think DXVA is even being used. I'll try RGB32 as you suggest and see if it improves the banding.

For some reason I need the nVidia Control Panel set to output 0-255, otherwise I get grey blacks - maybe this exacerbates the problem. Strangely, my Xbox 360 needs to be set to "Standard" (16-235) to avoid crushed blacks. No idea why they're different.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:42   #7629  |  Link
Paladin77

Just dropped by to say Merry Christmas Nev. Great Job on this nifty filter.

oh and Merry Christmas everyone.
GPU: 2X Crossfire AMD RADEON HD 6850.
Paladin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 19:47   #7630  |  Link
mark0077

nev, may I ask what method does LAV Video / Audio use to keep audio / video in sync.

The reason I ask, is that I have many DVDs that I have converted to mkv over the years, and I know the DVDs themselves were badly made in the first place with most video / decoders showing a noticeable audio blip / stutter at some points such as chapter changes.

I am testing with one mkv today and am delighted to see seeking so accurate and fast with the latest lav filters. But lav video / audio still give the frame stutter / jump, and audio blip / buzz at at the same areas as other decoders.
I can actually get rid of the audio blip / buzz sound by disabling LAV Audios a/v sync correction setting but of course things get noticibly out of sync then. I assume its this a/v sync feature of other decoders I have used that also causes the blip / stutter effect.

So my question really is, is it somehow possible to make corrections to a/v desync like this, less noticible, like a way of more slowly bringing a/v back to sync perhaps rather than in one chunk?
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 20:24   #7631  |  Link
dead_screem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
nev, may I ask what method does LAV Video / Audio use to keep audio / video in sync.

The reason I ask, is that I have many DVDs that I have converted to mkv over the years, and I know the DVDs themselves were badly made in the first place with most video / decoders showing a noticeable audio blip / stutter at some points such as chapter changes.

I am testing with one mkv today and am delighted to see seeking so accurate and fast with the latest lav filters. But lav video / audio still give the frame stutter / jump, and audio blip / buzz at at the same areas as other decoders.
I can actually get rid of the audio blip / buzz sound by disabling LAV Audios a/v sync correction setting but of course things get noticibly out of sync then. I assume its this a/v sync feature of other decoders I have used that also causes the blip / stutter effect.

So my question really is, is it somehow possible to make corrections to a/v desync like this, less noticible, like a way of more slowly bringing a/v back to sync perhaps rather than in one chunk?
he can't fix anything without a sample file first.
dead_screem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 20:25   #7632  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_screem View Post
he can't fix anything without a sample file first.
There is nothing to fix. If there is a gap or overlap in the timestamps, you will hear it. Personally i rather have one glitch rather then a few smaller glitches spread out over a few seconds.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:54   #7633  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
For some reason I need the nVidia Control Panel set to output 0-255, otherwise I get grey blacks - maybe this exacerbates the problem. Strangely, my Xbox 360 needs to be set to "Standard" (16-235) to avoid crushed blacks. No idea why they're different.
OK, I've just tested this by comparing to my PC monitor upstairs. The TV when receiving 16-235 has washed out colours but when receiving 0-255, it has black crush. I wonder if it's to do with the TV's brightness and contract settings? I'm sure I calibrated according to Lagom's LCD test website but maybe it needs adjusting.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:13   #7634  |  Link
Leader

Dear nevcairiel, please fix a bug with the withdrawal of a sample "32-bit Floating Point" in Windows XP formats DTS, A_DTS, AC3, A_AC3. There is a lot of noise.
Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 13:14   #7635  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader View Post
Dear nevcairiel, please fix a bug with the withdrawal of a sample "32-bit Floating Point" in Windows XP formats DTS, A_DTS, AC3, A_AC3. There is a lot of noise.
There is no bug, you just have a crappy audio driver.
Disable float output, and everything is fine.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:21   #7636  |  Link
Leader

Thanks for the answer, but it is strange that in ffdshow Audio Decoder 32-bit Float is working properly. So the problem is not my sound card driver.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:54   #7637  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Leader, are you sure ffdshow outputs 32-bit float? To be sure you need to uncheck all output formats except 32-bit float.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 14:12   #7638  |  Link
Leader

Yes, it works exactly the 32-bit float, rest all the samples are turned off. Even the built-in MPC Decoders works fine sample IEEE Float in Windows XP. So I am sure that is the problem LAV Audio Decoder.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:45   #7639  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader View Post
Yes, it works exactly the 32-bit float, rest all the samples are turned off. Even the built-in MPC Decoders works fine sample IEEE Float in Windows XP. So I am sure that is the problem LAV Audio Decoder.
32-bit Float output is exactly the same between LAV Audio and MPC-HCs decoder.
The only difference is that MPC-HCs decoder by default downmixes AC3 to stereo, and LAV Audio doesn't. Most XP drivers have issues with 5.1 Float audio, while they can deal with Stereo just fine.

I just changed it that Float is disabled by default when running on XP, so users running a legacy OS stop bothering me.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 10th December 2011 at 15:03.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 15:08   #7640  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
All:
Dscaler settings:
3. 3:2 playback smoothing= Disabled
4. Inverse Telecine= Enable only if IVTC flags are found
5. Adjust FPS if Any Telecined Film=Set to 23.976/24 FPS
Just a quick question : how did you adjust this settings ?
MPC-HC crashes when trying to access the Dscaler Mpeg decoder settings (well known problem, reason is DEP) and if I change the settings in Graphstudio, they don't seem to retain.
Have you find a way to exclude your player from DEP ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter