Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 2nd April 2021, 12:13   #1  |  Link
tebasuna51

3D audio, not only Atmos

I'm interested in 3D audio and I buy a cheap receiver Denon AVR-X1500 and I have the speakers, conexions and config like attached 3D_Front_Dolby.png

With that I can play without problems Atmos (TrueHD or EAC3) or DTS:X from commercial sources and also free ones created in EAC3 Atmos.

But encode to EAC3-Atmos is not easy like junh1024 say here

Also junh1024 send me a free sample .m4a than can be played 3D with my Denon but in a not easy way. Here I want to explain how.

The 7.1 m4a was created with qaac using the 7.1ch front (--chanmask 255) different from the standard 7.1ch rear

MediaInfo inform like:
Channel layout: C L R Ls Rs Lw Rw LFE

Remember the name of channels used by MediaInfo, is equivalent to M$ WAV channels:
FL FR FC LFE BL BR ? ?
Lw and Rw (Left/Right Front Wide) don't have a exact WAV correspondence but maybe can be FLC and FRC (Front Left/Right Center) like the channel mask 255 is.

These last 2 channels must be played by the Front Dolby Left/Right speakers, like a M$ WAV channels:
FL FR FC LFE BL BR TFL TFR (Top Front Left/Right)

To obtain that I need to deceive my Denon AVR-X1500 config it like I have connected Surround Back speakers (instead Dolby) and send the 7.1 PCM like a standard 7.1 FL FR FC LFE BL BR SL SR.

Now I have other problem, my mpc-hc player (the LAV filters) decode the AAC C L R Ls Rs Lw Rw LFE in a wrong order: Lw Rw C LFE Ls Lr L R then I need make a remap like show in 3D_aac remap.png

I attached a little channel test for check 5.1.2 audio systems

Note:
My Denon can be configured to have conected to last speakers “Front Height” or “Top Front” (maybe the logical selection) but I can't obtain the correct output even with different remaps in mpc-hc.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: 7z 3D_test_5.1.2.aac.7z (119.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 8th April 2021, 07:04   #2  |  Link
junh1024

So to summarize, using extended AAC channels for 51 compatibility but 3D is prolly not gonna work. A basic outline for 3D is this:

1- set your AVR to 71b
2- mix in 71, BUT treat SL SR as BL BR, and treat BL BR as HL HR. Maybe best to mix in 51 + have a separate height bus you can mute & solo.
3- append like, _512sh to your file for clarity

This should work, but might sound horrible when downmixed to 51.
junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote