Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st June 2015, 02:58   #1  |  Link
Elegant

Importance of Downscaling

Hi, I have some anime blurays that are clearly upscaled. I've seen many posts comment about how upscales are bad all around, intended resolution of 540p (or less sometimes!), etc., but the real question comes down to what does downscaling get you? Is it just about the smaller file size? Is there some real reason I should be trying to to resize these videos down from 1080p to 720p or whatever resolution they were intended for? Or is it just the eyes of the beholder?
Elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 03:11   #2  |  Link
stax76

As with everything there are different requirements and opinions, an easy way to compare is StaxRip's comparison tool, it can be found in StaxRip's main menu at Tools/Advanced/Codec Comparison. It's a tool designed to compare video files with different codec and filter settings.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 10:09   #3  |  Link
colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Hi, I have some anime blurays that are clearly upscaled. I've seen many posts comment about how upscales are bad all around, intended resolution of 540p (or less sometimes!), etc., but the real question comes down to what does downscaling get you? Is it just about the smaller file size? Is there some real reason I should be trying to to resize these videos down from 1080p to 720p or whatever resolution they were intended for? Or is it just the eyes of the beholder?
Many posts where, and what are you making encodes of the Blu-rays for?

The primary advantage of downscaling things that were "clearly upscaled" is that, if the source was thoroughly damaged in the upscaling process (e.g. anything touched by Q-TEC), downscaling would help to conceal the upscaling artifacts, and in some cases, it also makes filtering said artifacts easier.
Old 1st June 2015, 13:41   #4  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

If you're using x264, it's a significant advantage just scaling down, because the DCT is so small (4x4 and 8x8) that fake information still needs real bits to encode. It's not nearly as useful for x265, where blocks have up to 4 times the size and the redundant information is more easily ignored. If it's been over-sharpened, though, all bets are off.

Some upscales are done well enough that they hold up for at least 720p; you'll have to do some comparisons of various downscales to figure out what the real resolution of the Blu-ray is. A script where you interleave the original with multiple downscale->upscale versions should quickly give you an idea of where the limit is, and from there you can decide how to encode it.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:23   #5  |  Link
Elegant

@stax76 I'll have to check your tools out; I've been a user of MeGUI so far.

@colours I'm making encodes for a personal collection. These posts are from reviews of the blurays (Shakugan no Shana, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles) as well as common posts about how most early to mid 2000s anime are upscales on bluray and done poorly.

@foxyshadis I'll be sticking to x264 this go around I think since I'm not too familiar with x265 (that and MeGUI hated it so maybe I should try it with stax76's tool?). By sticking with x264 though you're saying it's best to downscale in this scenario. I'll look at stax76's tools real quick before I make an interleave script and find the "optimal" resolution.
Elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:26   #6  |  Link
colours

I've seen some screenshots comparing the Blu-ray and DVD releases of the first season of Shana, and the DVD release had far better video quality because of all the horrible postprocessing done for the BD masters. I don't know how good/bad the BDs for the second season of Shana or Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles look, though.

In general, the downscale-upscale method of determining the "native" resolution of a source only really works when it's been upscaled with a simple resizer, which is not the case with the botched BD releases done by Q-TEC et al. In your case, it's (probably) safe to guess that the shows were produced in standard definition, so if getting the DVDs is not an option, you should resize to 480p.

Last edited by colours; 2nd June 2015 at 19:24.
colours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:41   #7  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

I wonder if the masters were just thrown away when production finished? I've come across so many early digitally produced anime where the DVDs were significantly better than the Blu-ray.

/Still hoping for a Kimagure Orange Road BD, hoping the film stock still exists.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:22   #8  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

As I experienced often "original" resolution isn't 540p or 960p but also non-standard resolutions ie like 1366x680 or 1600x900...
The only way is to try until artefacts as aliasing or gibbs disappear.