Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 2nd December 2011, 09:27   #7521  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiTP_ View Post
Lav Audio decodes this TrueHD 6.1 configuration to WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE with MaskChannels = 0x1060F (FL FR FC LF SL SR TBC). I think it isn't properly, there is no 'Top Back Center' in such configuration. Correct Mask must be 9743 (FL FR FC LF SL SR TFC). BTW eac3to uses just such mask for decoding this type of THD 6.1.

The same story for this configuration:
Lav Audio decodes it to WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE with MaskChannels = 0x1060F (FL FR FC LF SL SR TBC). I think mask must be 3599 (FL FR FC LF SL SR TC). Again, eac3to uses the same.
Thanks, i found the problem and a patch to solve it, will apply it later, it should make all "unusual" channel layouts behave more sanely.
Not sure which typical speakers those should be output to, though - who really has a TFC or TC speaker? :d

Last edited by nevcairiel; 2nd December 2011 at 10:15.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:45   #7522  |  Link
XadoX

Can the LAV Video decoder use DXVA or CUVID?
XadoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:58   #7523  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by XadoX View Post
Can the LAV Video decoder use DXVA or CUVID?
Yes it can, there's an option to enable CUVID hardware decoding in the lav video options... it's set to not be used by default though since it only works on Nvidia GPU's.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:53   #7524  |  Link
XadoX

Ok thx for the feedback.
XadoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:23   #7525  |  Link
dann23

Quote:
Originally Posted by golagoda View Post
Yes it can, there's an option to enable CUVID hardware decoding in the lav video options... it's set to not be used by default though since it only works on Nvidia GPU's.
we also hope that someday maybe nevcairiel thinks about radeon owners and I won't mentions subtitles support because he already feels guilty that many people are using wmp and wmc with lav splitter
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:35   #7526  |  Link
Mixer73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann23 View Post
we also hope that someday maybe nevcairiel thinks about radeon owners and I won't mentions subtitles support because he already feels guilty that many people are using wmp and wmc with lav splitter
Actually AMD needs to think about Radeon owners...
Mixer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:22   #7527  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapas View Post
Haali Splitter + CoreAVC = Sloppy seeking
That's kind of odd, because the "recent" changes in HMS are the results of a very close corporation between HMS developer and CoreAVC developer(s).
As you certainly know, CoreAVC comes even bundled with the Haali splitter as their default splitter!
Quote:
Maybe it's the new splitter?
Not sure, but, as I understand it, recent lav-splitter versions are a more "Haali alike" then say v0.37. It could of course as well be an issue with CoreAVC.
I stopped using CoreAVC shortly after the v3.0 release and went to LAV video. I don't think I'll ever consider switching back : CoreCodec is a way too slow for me for fixing issues & releasing bugfixes.
Anyway, I'm currently very happy with LAV (splitter + audio + video) !
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:20   #7528  |  Link
chapas

I have an ATI card, so no hardware acceleration for LAV Video, hence CoreAVC. I read the MKV splitter changed for the latest LAV Filter releases, so I wanted to confirm if the problem is indeed CoreAVC.
chapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:28   #7529  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

CoreAVC is known for its slow seeking.
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:33   #7530  |  Link
T3rm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I'd say he's running two different audio devices and displays so anything's possible. The obvious way to test would be to decode with LAV both times, and not with switch to VLC (or not switch monitors/audio devices when switching to VLC). T3rm1, are you running different refresh rates for the two scenarios you describe? Is the audio delayed, or the video? If so to the former, try running your TV at the same rate as the monitor and see if it's the same then.
The audio plays too late. Same problem with DolbyDTS. TV has same refresh rate.
T3rm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 06:10   #7531  |  Link
mkanet

Unable to determine correct FPS...

Hi nevcairiel (and fellow experienced video experts):

I have a 4 year old mystery I've been trying to solve. I have the ability to capture the original mpeg2 transport stream 1080i recordings from my digital cableTV provider's cable box. For some reason, these streams are very difficult to playback smoothly on many devices. They play fine on standalone hardware media playback devices such as sageTV HD300. On my old Nvidia GT8500, these files played back perfectly as well.

However on devices that can't play it back correctly, they playback with stutter/judder. I have seen this on a few different PCs (Nvidia 8800GT, 9800GT, GT 545)

I just recently played back these files with the latest LAV Video decoder + CUVID + Nvidia GT545.

I used Reclock to see what framerate LAV Video is decoding at... and, I think I may have found the problem (or at least one problem). The frame rate for the same media file changes relatively frequently anywhere from 24fps to 47.952fps to 59.940 to 60.000fps throughout the video. If I have LAV Aggressive Deinterlacing enabled, the FPS starts changing much more frequently; sometimes within just a couple of seconds.

When the video is detected at 24.000fps, the video plays back smoothly. However, it doesn't stay on that FPS for very long.

Could you please try both samples below to see if there's a clever way to stabilize the FPS for this type of media WITHOUT adversely affecting other media files that already play back correctly? I am guessing the correct FPS is supposed to be 24fps; since that offers the most stable playback on my PC.

http://www.filedropper.com/dexter-sinofomission
http://www.filedropper.com/missionimpossible_1

Thanks a million,
MKANET

Last edited by mkanet; 3rd December 2011 at 06:40.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:33   #7532  |  Link
Andy o

Haven't downloaded yet, but from the titles, it's certainly telecined content. I could do IVTC with CUVID deinterlacing and decimating with an avisynth script in ffdshow's processor (I think it was tdecimate). Right now I'm back on AMD though.
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:28   #7533  |  Link
mkanet

Hi Andy, Nvidia IVTC doesnt work on this type of content like it does with other telecined digital TV content. I'm hoping someone here can figure out a way to play these files back automatically in directshow; just like other telecined content that does playback correctly. I dont want to add processing to other files that dont need it though. The interesting thing is even my old junky Nvidia 8500GT which could barely do inverse telecine for 1080i did it just fine.. smooth as silk; and, very sharp. It would be nice to know what makes these types of files so special. Comcast has been using this format for over a decade on their non-local TV channels.

Quote:
Haven't downloaded yet, but from the titles, it's certainly telecined content. I could do IVTC with CUVID deinterlacing and decimating with an avisynth script in ffdshow's processor (I think it was tdecimate). Right now I'm back on AMD though.
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:43   #7534  |  Link
Andy o

What software/filters were you using with the 8500GT to have IVTC?
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:58   #7535  |  Link
mkanet

Nothing fancy. All mpeg2 decoders with hardware acceleration enabled played these files back with no problem on the 8500GT. I vaguely remember using Nvidia Purevideo HD mpeg 2 decoder and SageTV's mpeg2 decoder (I think it's based off Mediaconcepts mpeg2 decoder. There were no LAV based video decoders back then. Intrestingly, the 8800GT; which was relatively close to the 8500GT in decoding capabilities had the same kind of stuttering issues my brand new display adapter has with this kind of media.

Quote:
What software/filters were you using with the 8500GT to have IVTC?
Old 3rd December 2011, 09:41   #7536  |  Link
chaddawkins

LAV Audio playback is noticeably quieter than when I play movies with AC3Filter for every type of audio. Why? Is there some way to change this? Gain?
thanks

EDIT:
My setup - computer to tv via hdmi, tv to soundbar via optical, soundbar to sub via wireless
I barely hear anything coming from the sub.

Last edited by chaddawkins; 3rd December 2011 at 09:48.
chaddawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:01   #7537  |  Link
SoBizarre

Dexter clip posted by mkanet plays (almost) smoothly using PotPlayer internal MPEG2 decoder, while using LAV decoder makes it unwatchably choppy. Also, Reclock is recognizing video stream as 23.976 fps and reports changing playback speed to 24fps, while madVR is reporting file being 29,970fps. Why is all that?
SoBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 13:15   #7538  |  Link
dead_screem

this probly has to do with pulldown being used but not flagged/flagged improperly in the stream. nev has done work in the past to get dvd's with non-flagged pulldown playing back right, but without the ivtc so you won't get the 24fps playback however lav still fails with hd mpeg2 content. you can get these to play smoothly by enabling the "treat as progressive" option, but you'd have to disable it again to get actual interlaced content working again...
fwiw mpc-hc's internal mpeg-2 decoder (libmpeg2) always plays back such content correctly.

Last edited by dead_screem; 3rd December 2011 at 13:17.
dead_screem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 15:57   #7539  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

There is bug with internal MPC-HC mpeg2 splitter and LAV Video. Audio goes out of sync. With any other video decoder it works fine. I use lav splitter anyway, but I think you should know about this bug.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:05   #7540  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Could you please try both samples below to see if there's a clever way to stabilize the FPS for this type of media WITHOUT adversely affecting other media files that already play back correctly? I am guessing the correct FPS is supposed to be 24fps; since that offers the most stable playback on my PC.
I tried downloading the files several times with different browsers, but all it got me were broken files (everytime in a different size!)
Please use a better file hoster.

Anyway, the problem with such files in general is that when broadcast they are quite commonly mixed progressive and telecined content - with one additional problem: Everything is coded as interlaced.
Its basically impossible to properly detect this. The only solution for "fluid" playback is to simply use half-rate deinterlacing, which means it'll deinterlace the frames, removing all interlacing artifacts, but not add additional frames. This can be done with the CUVID decoder or YADIF deinterlacing (set it to 25p/30p mode), if you rely on the renderer for deinterlacing, you cannot do this.

MPC-HCs MPEG-2 decoder by default uses its own deinterlacing, and does not send the flags to the renderer. If it would, you would probably see similar issues.

Overall, such content is just horrible, and i have no real interest and spending hours trying to fix it, i'll leave that to people that get paid to deal with crappy designs like this. (I don't watch such content either, our broadcasts are pretty sane - also, madVR seems to hide the timestamp jitter pretty well, i only really see issues with EVR-CP)

Last edited by nevcairiel; 3rd December 2011 at 17:19.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter