Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd March 2009, 23:36   #1  |  Link
murrsturr

Issues when re-encoding Hauppauge .ts or .m2ts captures

When encoding Hauppauge 1212 captures to x264 MP4 that I have edited with either TSPE or H264.TS Cutter (I am using AutoMKV or Megui (demuxed w\ Dgavcdec108 to encode) either the encode will fail at some point outright or I will suffer a loss in audio at some point (although demuxed audio is complete) and the video will be complete. I am thinking the failure may be attributable to the my use of the editors. However, when I encoded an unedited file I still suffered a loss in audio when the episode I was encoding finished and went into the overrun. So could this somehow be related to the capture itself.

At this point I am unsure where in this chain the failure is. I am pulling my hair out over this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
murrsturr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 00:35   #2  |  Link

Probably the audio specs are changing in the transport stream. E.g., the number of channels or bitrate goes down for commercials. A TS sample containing the problem would allow us to check this hypothesis.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 13:12   #3  |  Link
murrsturr

Aha!

Thanks for your help Neuron2. You are correct. I checked the unedited clip that suffers the audio loss and the audio does indeed drop when it changes from 2 channel to 6 channel on the program overlap.

If you'll indulge me I have 2 more questions.

1) How would one deal with this? Is there a way to detect the point in change when editing out commercials?

2) Could this lead to a complete failure in the encode as well or could there be another issue.

I am going to look further into this. Unfortunately I've deleted the failed encodes and simply remuxed the original audio on the few captures I have done.

Thanks again! I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by murrsturr; 4th March 2009 at 13:15.
murrsturr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:06   #4  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrsturr View Post
1) How would one deal with this? Is there a way to detect the point in change when editing out commercials?
Not with my tools at this time. I don't ever do this kind of cutting so I can't advise you.

Quote:
2) Could this lead to a complete failure in the encode as well or could there be another issue.
I don't know what you mean by "a complete failure of the encode".
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:26   #5  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrsturr View Post

The payware MPEG2 editor VideoReDo shows you both the specific frame where the audio changes, and the type of frame it is I, B, or P and then re-builds GOPS according to whereever you've cut.

It does not do 264 at this time, but they are working on such a thing and in the meantime I think the programs you mention are "the only game in town".
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote