Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 6th January 2023, 18:10   #1641  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kirby View Post
Why isn't it possible to set linebreaks as shown in video preview of an ass -file "WrapStyle 0"
IMO this is a poor choice.
Wrap style 0 gives way too long lines that are difficult to read and it also does not split lines at periods or commas which also improves readability.

You can get pretty close by this:
In Options - Settings - General - Rules: Set "Single line max length" to 80 (depending on font/style)
In Options - Settings - Tools - Auto break: keep only "Break by pixel width"

(When "Advanced Sub Station Alpha" was born and monitors/TVs were small, WrapStyle 0 was probably okay... around 1996...)

Last edited by Nikse555; 6th January 2023 at 18:13.
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2023, 18:50   #1642  |  Link
Matt Kirby

Ah ok, I understand you. My workflow is (when I translate subs) that I stretch the subs in X-Scale to 134 % at a 16:9 film. So an item becomes no more width as 4:3 in a display. After finished work I set the x-factor back to 100%. So I thought I could save the line breaks (I made in 134 % modus).

Last edited by Matt Kirby; 6th January 2023 at 18:58.
Matt Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2023, 21:08   #1643  |  Link
Nikse555

OK, zooming in temporary with wrap style 0 makes sense. Still, you can make better breaks by taking comma/periods into account.
Sorry, SE does not have a single-line-max-pixel-width which is probably what wrap style 0 uses.
Old 15th January 2023, 19:29   #1644  |  Link
Atlantis

I have OCRed and got an incorrect word LI. The problem is, Spell Check doesn't catch it. It's in French and LI is not in the Names List or User word list.
Where is it? I want to remove it. We need a search function that can find a word in any list.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:09   #1645  |  Link
Nikse555

@Atlantis: Sorry, the French spell check dictionary allows this... perhaps you can find another French dictionary? (SE requires Hunspell/OpenOffice dictionaries. The .dic/.aff files needs to be placed in the "Dictionaries" folder)
Old 27th January 2023, 00:28   #1646  |  Link
Atlantis

I don't understand. The French spell check dictionary allows what exactly? Do you mean LI is a word in the dictionary?
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2023, 14:38   #1647  |  Link
Amstramgram

Hello everybody !
In 3.6 version, is there a way to permanently change default style for ssa subtitles ?
It was quite easy in 3.5 but I can't find how to do it in the new version.
Thank you in advance for your answers.
Amstramgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2023, 15:53   #1648  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I don't understand. The French spell check dictionary allows what exactly? Do you mean LI is a word in the dictionary?
Yes, "LI" is accepted by the French spell check dictionary.
Old 29th January 2023, 18:00   #1649  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstramgram View Post
Hello everybody !
In 3.6 version, is there a way to permanently change default style for ssa subtitles ?
It was quite easy in 3.5 but I can't find how to do it in the new version.
Thank you in advance for your answers.
SE has more features for "Advanced Sub Station Alpha" (.ass). For ASSA you can set a default style in the "ASSA styles windows" which is the big red "A" in the toolbar when an ASSA file is open.
I think the default SSA style, just uses the default ASSA style...
Old 30th January 2023, 17:35   #1650  |  Link
Amstramgram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
SE has more features for "Advanced Sub Station Alpha" (.ass). For ASSA you can set a default style in the "ASSA styles windows" which is the big red "A" in the toolbar when an ASSA file is open.
I think the default SSA style, just uses the default ASSA style...
Thanks for your answer !
It almost works !
New default settings registered for ass files are passed to ssa but with some random strange differences in margins (left margin passes from 10 to 0, right margin from 10 to 2) or alignment (from center to left) !!!.
Old 31st January 2023, 20:57   #1651  |  Link
Nikse555

@Amstramgram: OK, I see the margin error, thx
Should be fixed here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
(shadow was written as e.g. "1,0" and hence comma separated styles after, like margins, was displaced)

Also, I though people used ASSA and not SSA. Any specific reason? I guess I could add a separate default SSA style...
Old 1st February 2023, 13:45   #1652  |  Link
Amstramgram

Quote:
@Amstramgram: OK, I see the margin error, thx
Should be fixed here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip
(shadow was written as e.g. "1,0" and hence comma separated styles after, like margins, was displaced)

Also, I though people used ASSA and not SSA. Any specific reason? I guess I could add a separate default SSA style...
Thank you so much @Nikse555 !!!
It works… Except for colors (I think hexa values should be converted to long integer BGR)…
The reason why i need ssa is that I'm an old, old, old VirtualDub (now VirtualDub 2) user.
I have never found a recent equivalent as versatile...
It's a real Swiss army knife with its editing features, audio visualization, etc...
But the only way to insert subtitles properly is to use Avery Lee's old 32-bit subtitle plugin. And this plugin only supports ssa format…
Old 1st February 2023, 21:26   #1653  |  Link
Nikse555

@Amstramgram: Are colors correct now? https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

Thx for the info about SSA/VirtualDub. I think I tried that... many years ago
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:06   #1654  |  Link
von Suppé

Version 3.6.11 shows erratic behaviour when editing text in the text-box. Not always, but often the keyboard's "Delete" key acts as "Backspace" when the cursor is placed at the end of a line. Also, starting to "select" in the middle of a word and then dragging it to left, the whole word gets selected.

Anyone else experiencing this? I checked version 3.6.10, which doesn't have the issues. I'm on Windows 7.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2023, 18:16   #1655  |  Link
Amstramgram

Quote:
@Amstramgram: Are colors correct now? https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip

Thx for the info about SSA/VirtualDub. I think I tried that... many years ago
All is perfect !!!

Thank you very much for giving me your time.
Old 2nd February 2023, 21:06   #1656  |  Link
Nikse555

@von Suppé: Sorry, I cannot re-create this.
(You can switch text box control, by going to Options - Settings - Appearance - and toggle "Use syntax coloring")

@Amstramgram: Cool, and thx to you for testing/verifying
Old 3rd February 2023, 13:15   #1657  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
@von Suppé: Sorry, I cannot re-create this.
(You can switch text box control, by going to Options - Settings - Appearance - and toggle "Use syntax coloring")
Use syntax coloring doesn't change anything.

Weird. Reinstalled 3.6.11 and the issue still pops up every now and then. Not always though. Where there's a difference with the portable 3.6.11, where I haven't encountered it.

To try and recreate the issue, please (anybody) confirm:

Open SE, start new file. Format is set on "SubRip (.srt)" and Encoding on "UTF-8 with BOM". Right-click in field and "Insert line". In the textbox, type "Line one" <Enter>. Second line type "Line two" <Enter>. Third line type "Line three". Do not <Enter>.

With mouse, place cursor at the end of line 2 (so directly after the word "two". First hit on the spacebar does not produce a space. Second time it does.
Then hitting the <Delete> key for the first time, cursor jumps back. Second time also, ending between the "w" and "o" of the word two. Next <Delete>, the "o" will be erased and cursor jumps back between "t" and "w".

Thanks in advance to anyone for trying.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 17:20   #1658  |  Link
Amstramgram

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Use syntax coloring doesn't change anything.

Weird. Reinstalled 3.6.11 and the issue still pops up every now and then. Not always though. Where there's a difference with the portable 3.6.11, where I haven't encountered it.

To try and recreate the issue, please (anybody) confirm:

Open SE, start new file. Format is set on "SubRip (.srt)" and Encoding on "UTF-8 with BOM". Right-click in field and "Insert line". In the textbox, type "Line one" <Enter>. Second line type "Line two" <Enter>. Third line type "Line three". Do not <Enter>.

With mouse, place cursor at the end of line 2 (so directly after the word "two". First hit on the spacebar does not produce a space. Second time it does.
Then hitting the <Delete> key for the first time, cursor jumps back. Second time also, ending between the "w" and "o" of the word two. Next <Delete>, the "o" will be erased and cursor jumps back between "t" and "w".

Thanks in advance to anyone for trying.
Well... I've tried. I followed your instructions to the letter. Several times.
But i can't reproduce the weird bug you describe.
Same thing when selecting a part of a word and dragging it : it works as expect without selecting the whole word...
Old 4th February 2023, 22:36   #1659  |  Link
Janusz

@von Suppé:
I can reproduce the error described in your example only if the [Settings/Appearance/Use syntax coloring] box is checked. Otherwise, the Backspace and Delete keys work as expected.

Last edited by Janusz; 4th February 2023 at 23:49.
Janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 15:25   #1660  |  Link
Nikse555

@von Suppé/Janusz: Strange... is this better: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subt...leEditBeta.zip ?