Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 7th October 2002, 14:30   #1  |  Link
chew1138

Audio asynch using Besweet from captures

I'm quite new to all this and hope somebody can help. Due to the recent firmware "upgrade" from Pioneer, my DVD-RW 104 suddenly doesn't burn in an audio PCM that my Sony DVD player will recognize (I had no audio problems before the firmware change).

So, I'm forced to change the audio to AC3. Here's the process I use: ATI Radeon AIW 7500 capture card set on DVD quality MPEG2 PCM 48000khz sound. This provides a near perfect picture and I never drop frames, even with a long program. For this example, I captured Sopranos. Then I de-multiplex with TMPGenc and load the audio file in AC3Machine (I used the AC3 transcoding guide here to set it up, but don't know if the settings are correct for what I'm doing). I made sure to click on log file, but none of my uses caused any log output (maybe I'm not doing something right there). All three attempts were processed quickly by Besweet.

Once the audio is processed, I load the both the audio and original video (I can just barely get 3 episodes to fit and I don't need to re-encode the video) into SpruceUp. After making chapters, I jump around each episode and find the audio gets out of synch as the episode goes. It's anywhere from a short time to a second or two.

If anybody can help, I would appreciate it. I'm a computer newbie, so laymen's terms, please! Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I can't find anything when searching here.

Last edited by chew1138; 7th October 2002 at 17:10.
chew1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 19:19   #2  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

I'll just recommend you to use MP2 sound instead of AC3. MP2 preserves the original volume and has a much faster encoding! the best will be of course to use 384kbps bitrate for nearly perfect quality. Generally try not to go under 224kbps. It has to be Stereo encoding, *NOT* Joint Stereo.

So try MP2 sound. I hope the sound won't be asynch then (don't forget to keep the sample rate @ 48KHz, because DVD accepts only 48KHz)
DJ Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 20:16   #3  |  Link
chew1138

All these audio formats are a little difficult to keep straight. Is PCM 48khz different than MP2? The Pioneer firmware update seems to be burning the sound in a different fashion compared to pre-burn. Pre-update PCM discs play fine, but my DVD player can't decode the mpeg audio post-update (and I tried all the different audio settings on both my player and receiver). A pre-update disc that was captured with the ATI, encoded with TMPGenc/tooLame, and burned with Ulead DVD MovieFactory works. The exact same process post-update now doesn't. Which is why I'm getting away from mpeg audio. AC3 discs burned post-firmware update work great.

Oh, one more thing. The Pioneer firmware update is anti-downgradable. So I can't go back. I went to the firmware forum and even people with complete knowledge of computers can't crack it.

If nothing else this is my "if it ain't broke" lession for upgrades in the future.......
Old 7th October 2002, 21:16   #4  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

Of course it is different. PCM is uncompressed, MP2 is compressed.

If I understand you right, you're already directly capturing the sound in MP2.
So now if you really must have AC3 sound, I would recommend you to decode the MP2 to WAV (using WinAmp for example), THEN encode to AC3 and see what happens.
Old 8th October 2002, 03:43   #5  |  Link
chew1138

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Bobo
Of course it is different. PCM is uncompressed, MP2 is compressed.

If I understand you right, you're already directly capturing the sound in MP2.
So now if you really must have AC3 sound, I would recommend you to decode the MP2 to WAV (using WinAmp for example), THEN encode to AC3 and see what happens.
No luck. It improved it slightly, but the audio is still off.
Old 8th October 2002, 14:03   #6  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

Are you sure you havn't forgotten to enter the delays or something?
Old 8th October 2002, 15:07   #7  |  Link
chew1138

Quote:
Are you sure you havn't forgotten to enter the delays or something?
I appreciate all your help! Now I think I'm opening up a new can of worms: I set the delay based on what was shown in the AC3 guide. I see plenty of posts talking about calculating the delay for a DVD rip, but how does one go about calculating it for a capture file? The same way? I've never done DVD-rips and don't know the first thing about it. This must be the problem, because I remember the first file I did just had it set to 0 and it wasn't so good. The next set I copied the delay from the guide at -101 and it was better.
Sorry I'm such a newbie at all this.
Old 8th October 2002, 15:45   #8  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

Just open your mpg file in DVD2AVI, and save a project. The MP2 (or MPA, it's the same thing) will be extracted and you'll find a delay on the file name.
Old 8th October 2002, 17:22   #9  |  Link
chew1138

Quote:
Just open your mpg file in DVD2AVI, and save a project. The MP2 (or MPA, it's the same thing) will be extracted and you'll find a delay on the file name.
Cool! I'll try that after work and report later. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2002, 12:05   #10  |  Link
chew1138

That was it! Everything is alright in the world now, thanks a million for the help!!