Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th June 2020, 18:24   #59681  |  Link
magnusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I use passthrough on my C9 but others prefer madVR's tone mapping.
Thanks. Ill stick with passthrough then
magnusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 18:28   #59682  |  Link
magnusr

Also got a questions about chroma and image upscaling. 1080p>2160p. While keeping the picture as the filmmaker intended (more like film maker mode). Using 1050Ti with 3600x ryzen cpu to my LG C9 oled tv.

Chroma upscaling: NGU Anti--Alias, medium quality
Image upscaling: NGH Sharp High

Is this good or a bad setting?
Old 5th June 2020, 20:52   #59683  |  Link
VBB

If your 1050Ti can handle "High" for luma, sure. I also use AA for chroma, but on "low" with my 960. The general rule here is luma > chroma. Asmodian didn't mention it, but you probably want to turn off Dynamic Tone Mapping on your C9. It messes with the picture too much. There's also a dedicated OLED thread here, if you have more questions.
Old 5th June 2020, 22:06   #59684  |  Link
sam0t

Hello fellow MadVRs, tl;dr warning!

Been experiencing almost daily BSOD’s with with MPC-HC + MadVR 0.9.17 for the past +2 months or so, and thought it prudent to share the solution for this particularly tricky issue. First of all must say that my AMD Ryzen setup has been rock stable with MadVR ever since I put it together back in 2017 and later upgraded the CPU from Ryzen 5 1600x >> 3600 in Sep 2019.

So when I started getting these BSODs back in April I thought that they surely it must be due to some usual suspects such as old driver/BIOS, overheating, faulty memory, a buggy Windows 10 update
or faulty hardware, but the system kept on passing all of the hardware stress tests I kept throwing at it (CPU/MEM/GFX), and it was stable through few hours of 3D gaming easily too, but as soon as video playback began there would be a random BSOD within 15-45 minutes sure as day.

What made this issue so much harder to pinpoint was the fact that the BSODs error codes kept changing constantly, with the following ones however being most numerous: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. And then there was the fact that the BSODs were always pointing to the ntoskrnl.exe, and not any driver which might have given clue to the origin of the issue.

After some 60 BSODs and countless hours of fruitless troubleshooting later I stumbled upon a forum thread about some Windows 10 update removing AMD's Power Plan from Windows, and surely that was the case with my OS as well. The tricky part was that for some reason the AMD Power Plan would not appear in Windows when installing the latest AMD chipset drivers (a common issue according to various forums) and to get it to show, had to extract and install the RyzenPPM.msi file manually from an older older Chipset driver package from Gigabyte for Windows 10 1903. After installing the old AMD Power Plan there has been no BSODs for 7 days now, so I think it is safe to say this was the root cause for these issues. I can only speculate as to why these issues started couple months back (Probably it was some of the more recent Windows 10 updates that did away the AMD power profile from my OS, or it changed the Windows default Power Profiles in some way), but my working theory is that perhaps the latest Windows Default Balanced Power Plan does not work well with my older X370 motherboard chipset and the newer AMD Ryzen 3600 CPU combo.

Long rant, but perhaps this helps somebody else struggling with similar issues.

edit:

In case anybody stumbles across this post, my issue was "officially"resolved by AMD chipset drivers 2.04.28.626 which finally installed successfully AMD power plan 5.0.0.0 for my Windows, and also by starting to use the AMD Ryzen Power Profile "High Performance" as default power plan instead of the Balanced.

Can't say for sure, but my hunch is that the Balanced power profile's constant adjustment of the CPU clock speed somehow causes the BSODs with hardware accelerated video playback with my system.

Last edited by sam0t; 19th July 2020 at 21:23.
sam0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 00:09   #59685  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
If your 1050Ti can handle "High" for luma, sure. I also use AA for chroma, but on "low" with my 960. The general rule here is luma > chroma. Asmodian didn't mention it, but you probably want to turn off Dynamic Tone Mapping on your C9. It messes with the picture too much. There's also a dedicated OLED thread here, if you have more questions.
Thanks, I do have that off.
Old 6th June 2020, 07:14   #59686  |  Link
magnusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Thanks, I do have that off.
Thanks. But what happens to everything above around 700 nits if dynamic tone mapping is off and madvr is sett to passthrough?
Old 6th June 2020, 20:03   #59687  |  Link
VBB

You're confusing LG's dynamic tone mapping with normal tone mapping, which cannot be disabled (unfortunately). The TV will never clip, even with DTM turned off.
Old 6th June 2020, 20:38   #59688  |  Link
magnusr

Quote:
You're confusing LG's dynamic tone mapping with normal tone mapping, which cannot be disabled (unfortunately). The TV will never clip, even with DTM turned off.
Ok thx madvr with passthrough and disable dtm on the c9 then.
Old 6th June 2020, 22:42   #59689  |  Link
chros

Quote:
C9 and newer models can be set to clip, but there is always tonemapping with HDR10 mode.
Old 6th June 2020, 23:55   #59690  |  Link
VBB

You mean in game mode by turning on HGIG and/or by calibrating the LUT a certain way?

I didn't want to get into anything too complicated here
Old 9th June 2020, 18:33   #59691  |  Link
TripleH

Hi All,

I'm building a new HTPC to run madVR and I am trying to understand which GPU I should go with.

My goals are:
- Upscaling 1080p to 2160p
- Dynamic tone mapping
- Other image enhancements on 2160p content
- 3D Lut calibration

I planned to use a GTX 1080 (non Ti) for this task.

Will I get any benefit for the above tasks if I go with RTX 2080 Ti instead?

Thanks in advance,
TripleH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2020, 19:53   #59692  |  Link
chros

If you can use d3d11 native in Lav then 1080 will be more than enough, maybe a 1070 as well. There will be really powerful new GPUs next year, so there's no point spending lot of money on it now.
Old 10th June 2020, 02:34   #59693  |  Link
huhn

the new GPUs will pretty sure release all this year including AMD and nvidia maybe even bad intel GPUs.

it very likely that madVR will make use of tensor cores getting a pascal GPU is not a great idea.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 06:56   #59694  |  Link
RXP

Is there a reason people don't use CUDA in LAV? I seem to get the best performance out of that for tone mapping.
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 07:47   #59695  |  Link
curael

Just checking in to say that I'm now on Windows 10 Pro build 2004 and on the newest nvidia driver as of today - on an RTX 2080 and everything is working as it should. Woowee. In case anyone is considering making the plundge. HDR switching still works as it should and there are no stutters as were the case in previous versions of Windows 10 on newer nvidia cards. Don't know when they fixed it but I just wanted to mention that it at least works great now.

Last edited by curael; 10th June 2020 at 08:06.
curael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 13:11   #59696  |  Link
Mike-uk

hmm ok madvr is causing mpc-be to close upon a file being played, using another render solves the problem, so ive used the uninstall.bat with admin rights, got a fresh copy of madvr install, but i still have all the old config ?? remder profiles and resolutions ?? where is it storing this info ?? Thanks Mike
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 18:52   #59697  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP View Post
Is there a reason people don't use CUDA in LAV? I seem to get the best performance out of that for tone mapping.
This is surprising, CUVID being copy-back you would not expect it to have better performance than D3D11 native.
Do you mean better performance compared to DXVA copyback?
Also I seem to remember nevcairiel saying something about CUVID clipping to 8-bit on decode and therefore being unfit for HDR, not sure if it's still the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
hmm ok madvr is causing mpc-be to close upon a file being played, using another render solves the problem, so ive used the uninstall.bat with admin rights, got a fresh copy of madvr install, but i still have all the old config ?? remder profiles and resolutions ?? where is it storing this info ?? Thanks Mike
If you install in a folder with no write access like Program Files under a normal user then it stores settings in the registry.
Old 10th June 2020, 19:31   #59698  |  Link
sam0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by curael View Post
Just checking in to say that I'm now on Windows 10 Pro build 2004 and on the newest nvidia driver as of today - on an RTX 2080 and everything is working as it should. Woowee. In case anyone is considering making the plundge. HDR switching still works as it should and there are no stutters as were the case in previous versions of Windows 10 on newer nvidia cards. Don't know when they fixed it but I just wanted to mention that it at least works great now.
Encouraging to hear. Earlier this year had W10 updates wreak havoc with my HTPC where an undetermined Windows update silently removed AMD Ryzen Power Profile from the system, which in turn introduced random BSODs with GPU assisted video playback. Just had W10 install the 2004 update with the HTPC that brought up bad memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
For me they are stored in the registry @ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\madshi\

Read somewhere that the settings.bin file at MadVR install folder would contain MadVR settings as well, but as el Filou suggested, this must be the case when MadVR is installed on a folder with write access.
sam0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 20:00   #59699  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH View Post
Hi All,

I'm building a new HTPC to run madVR and I am trying to understand which GPU I should go with.

My goals are:
- Upscaling 1080p to 2160p
- Dynamic tone mapping
- Other image enhancements on 2160p content
- 3D Lut calibration

I planned to use a GTX 1080 (non Ti) for this task.

Will I get any benefit for the above tasks if I go with RTX 2080 Ti instead?

I am doing all that with my 1070 ..well except the 2160 enhancements so not sure what you are doing on that one.
No issues for me.

Thanks in advance,
I am doing all that with my 1070 ..well except the 2160 enhancements so not sure what you are doing on that one.
No issues for me.
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 20:26   #59700  |  Link
Mike-uk

Thanks el Filou and sam0t, after deleting the reg entry madvr is working again with mpc-be
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling