Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 7th October 2010, 22:07   #1  |  Link
Chebwa
Cloud Denier

Yamb for VOB files?

Is there something similar to Yamb that works with VOB files?

Recently, I put some DVDs on my hard drive. To keep things simple, I used VOBMerge on the multiple VOB files each DVD created to make single files that can be clicked and played easily. NOW, the problem is that I would like to check out the audio and/or subpicture streams on certain VOBs and remove the ones I don't need. I've tried IFOEdit and DVDSubEdit and tsMuxer and all that, but nothing comes close to the simplicity of Yamb and its interface. I'm good with a computer, and those still had me scratching my head at some points.

So, if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

BONUS POINTS: Although VLC and MPC-HC play these new VOB files fine, Windows Media Center screws them up (can't fast forward, times are wrong, etc). Any way to fix THAT?
Chebwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 00:51   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Are you set on the VOB container? If you'd like to re-mux a DVD main movie all to one container without re-encoding, use MakeMKV on the DVD and simply select your output folder, output file name, and check the boxes for the audio and sub tracks you want.

With existing VOB sets, you should be able to use MKVMerge to similar effect. As a bonus, these output files will be seekable because WMP/WMC will call Haali Media Splitter (install it!) instead of using the buggy Microsoft MPEG-2 demuxers (of which there are at least two) to provide WMP/WMC with seek data.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 01:25   #3  |  Link
Chebwa
Cloud Denier

Ah, thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I am definitely committed to the VOB container, so to speak. I'm a little obsessive when it comes to video quality, so I have a good amount of VOBs I'd prefer to keep that way without encoding them to another format. When I do encode something, I settled on (after lots of research) using MP4/H.264.

However, are you implying that I could maintain all the video information as-is, and slap it into another container (MKV) without having to encode? If that is possible, I'd be ALL OVER IT. I'd be even more into it if I could do the same using MP4 rather than MKV (since all of my other non-VOB videos are MP4 anyway).

Drop some some more knowledge on me when you get a chance!

EDIT: I checked MakeMKV. It does not support VOB files alone.

Last edited by Chebwa; 8th October 2010 at 01:58.
Chebwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 02:02   #4  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Right, MakeMKV would be when starting from DVD. MKVMergeGUI supports VOB sets standing by themselves (though you may need to use VSRip or SubRip first to get subtitles to mux with the audio and video because I'm not sure whether MKVMerge does this straight from VOB). And yes, each method only re-muxes, without re-encoding: all video and audio is untouched, just moved to a different container.

You could do it with MP4, but I think you would be out VOBSub/SSA/ASS subtitle formats and you might need to mess around with "private stream" nonsense for DTS audio.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, merge, subtitle, vob, yamb