Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 26th January 2021, 21:50   #21  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
I'm not sure why you're so adamant about this.
Because I do not like when someone tries to destroy my belief system...

From an old manono post at VideoHelp:
Quote:
As you well know, although anamorphic originally referred to anamorphic lenses and film, it means something quite different in the DVD world. For all intents and purposes, a movie on DVD encoded as 16:9 is an anamorphic DVD.
From the same thread by AlanHK:
Quote:
Others have explained the original meaning of anamorphic, the kind of lenses used when shooting it.

For DVDs it usually means a widescreen (16:9 and others) aspect ratio distorted to fill a 4:3 frame. The 16:9 flag in the file tells the player to add letterboxing as appropriate, depending on the kind of TV you have. So a 4:3 movie is encoded full-frame, and marked 4:3, naturally.
I will stick to my definition of an anamorphic DVD. I do not subscribe to the definition that all DVDs are anamorpic by design or standards.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 09:03   #22  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
..... To say that all non-square pixel formats are anamorphic by definition is just ridiculous...
No, it's not 'ridiculous'. Not at all. And I kindly ask you to stay away from offending wording in defending your position, please.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 11:32   #23  |  Link
hello_hello

sugargenius may have assumed the DVD was non-anamorphic because he wasn't seeing the result of the resizing. Once you've configured the cropping and resizing, it's necessary to click on the "Preview AVS Script" button in the script creator to apply the cropping and resizing, and therefore to see the picture change shape.
Either that or you can check "Apply Auto Preview", but it slows things down as the preview is refreshed with every change.

sugargenius may also be unaware of MeGUI's anamorphic encoding abilities. I'd tend to select the "Encode non-Mod16" option, which is badly named. It should be something like "encode any mod" because the width and height mod is determined by the cropping. If you want mod4 dimensions or mod8 etc, you have to adjust the cropping to the correct mod yourself, but when "Encode non-Mod16" is chosen, resizing is disabled. The aspect ratio will look wrong but the encoded video should be stretched to the correct aspect ratio on playback. The other anamorphic encoding options allow some resizing. Whichever you choose, the display aspect ratio is shown at the top of the script. Rather than use anamorphic encoding, I generally resize to square pixel dimensions myself, although mainly because one of the players here doesn't display anamorphic video correctly.

128 / 69 = 1.85507

The acceptable aspect error option only applies to anamorphic encoding. It allows MeGUI to fudge the aspect ratio a little. It's really only useful if you want to achieve an exact 4:3 or 16:9 DAR after cropping. It's a bit like normal cropping and resizing where you crop to almost 4:3 or to almost 16:9 and resize to exact 4:3 or 16:9 dimensions.

Last edited by hello_hello; 27th January 2021 at 11:49.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2021, 02:19   #24  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
I will stick to my definition of an anamorphic DVD.
Yes, in support of that old quotation, when something like Amazon says a DVD is anamorphic, they mean 16:9. When they say something like 1.85:1, they mean widescreen 4:3. Once again media companies have expropriated a term that originally meant something else to serve their own purposes - to make a 16:9 DVD sound better - which in this case it is.

But the OP claimed his DVD was non-anamprphic. That makes no sense in either the redefined term or in the original dictionary definition of the term. No DVDs are 1:1. Therefore all are anamorphic, if using the original meaning of the word.

By the way, I checked 4 online dictionaries and only one even acknowledged the DVD definition, and as the second definition:

Quote:
1. Relating to, having, or producing different optical imaging effects along mutually perpendicular radii: an anamorphic lens.
2. Of or relating to a widescreen film or video that has been converted to a storage format with a lower aspect ratio by shrinking the image only along the horizontal axis in order to minimize loss of resolution: an anamorphic DVD for widescreen televisions.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote