Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd August 2007, 01:39   #11  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
OK, that didn't come as I ment it. I wasn't saying ISVs didn't get support. I wanted to point out the support bias towards big business. They got PEP, SDKs and ES specs for instance and all under NDA.
The expectation is that the end users will be served by the ISVs making products which will integrate our VC-1 SDK. Many companies in the codec business operate in this way (MainConcept comes to mind).

As for independent developers not getting support... Take the DMO codecs that shipped in WMP11 and Vista for example. They are fully documented on MSDN (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288690.aspx). Those video and audio codecs can actually be used independent of ASF and WMF SDK. One could use the MSDN documentation to write an encoder app that produces VC-1 ES streams or muxes them into MPEG-TS, MP4, AVI, etc. The free stuff is certainly out there but it does indeed take work on both sides to create good tools and applications.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote