Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 9th December 2017, 01:23   #1  |  Link
Lyris

Levels command - any way to work in 10-bit space?

I have some masters in Apple ProRes 4444 (RGB) format, and whoever's prepared them has their understanding of video/PC levels wrong - the black pillarboxes on the left and right of the frame are gray, and even the video generated white text doesn't hit full white.

The target is standard Blu-ray, so 8-bit 4:2:0.

ProRes is 10-bit internally, and I'm using a recent version of the FFMS2 command + AviSynth 2.5 to pipe to x264. My understanding is that using the standard "levels" command - levels(16,1,235, 0,255) will work in 8-bit space, so will throw away precision. Certainly when I run histogram() afterwards, it shows banding, so is unacceptable.

My current workaround is to use Davinci Resolve to correct the levels and write out corrected masters, then encode those as usual, which seems like overkill. With AviSynth, is there any way to decode the 10-bit ProRes master, correct the levels still in 10-bit (or higher?) space, then go down to 8-bit?

Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 01:32   #2  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Levels in AviSynth+ works at high bit depth, but you need to scale the arguments.
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Autoscale_parameter

If you Import this script of mine, you can just call LevelsPlus with familiar 0-255 arguments
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 01:48   #3  |  Link
Lyris

Aha! So all it takes in AviSynth+ is to reference 64 and 940 rather than 16 and 235? I'll need to give it a whirl. Thanks!
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote