Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 17th September 2006, 01:20   #1  |  Link
Lord_neo

Divx Drf Analyzer

hi to everybody... this is my first post in this forum, and i'm very happy to be part of this wonderful community on digital video.. the best i've ever seen

but let's go to the question... i have moved from less time to s.o. Linux.. and with the program like avidemux, transcode or dvd2hdd there are some important and beatiful alternatives to win program.. i think this is beatiful... but one thing that i didn't find was a drf analyzer similar tool... so i'm looking for a software the gives a report on video frame quality..

i understand that my request isn't very simple to be granted, but i hope it exist one in all over the world..

and which place to ask an impossible thing on video software? here!

another little request.. i need also a software (better if with GUI) that analyses the media info (audio/video codec bitrate resolution etc..) with the possibility of create a log export..

thank you very much for your answer
Lord_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 12:35   #2  |  Link
echo

I don't think there exists a program similar to drf analyser. But I don't find it any useful either. Let your eyes be the judge, it's simple... Having said that, have you tried running it under wine? I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work...

About the media info thing, I believe an 'mplayer -v yourvideo.avi' command will give you more info than you'll ever need.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 20:42   #3  |  Link
Lord_neo

thanks echo for the command of mplayer.. i'll test it soon

nevertheless i think drf analyzer is a must software for a ripper.. (and also if you surf on p2p forum )

it gives a complete report (frame for frame) of the quantizer of the movie... and if this isn't useful...

thank you!

ps: anyone has some other information?
Old 18th September 2006, 08:48   #4  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_neo
nevertheless i think drf analyzer is a must software for a ripper.. (and also if you surf on p2p forum )
No, it gives you nothing but the illusion to have an objective measure of quality. Its output is meaningless. When you use an XviD custom quantization matrix like SixOfNine at quantizer=4, this means you have much better quality then XviD with the standard (H.263) matrix at quantizer=3. Does DRF Analyser tell you which matrix was used in the encode? No. Hence it will tell you that the higher quality video encoded with SixOfNine is worse than the lower quality video encoded with H.263. That shows that DRF Analyzer not only doesn't know anything about video quality - no; it will tell you that good quality is bad and that bad quality is good. I for one don't want to see any video ranked highly by DRF Analyzer.

Also, what do you want DRF analyser for as a ripper? You should determin the quality of your encoding beforehand with a compressiblity check of some kind and not find out afterwards that you've wasted your time with an encode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_neo
tit gives a complete report (frame for frame) of the quantizer of the movie... and if this isn't useful...
DRF Analyzer not even distinguishes between p-frame quantizers and b-frame quantizers, and that renders the information it gives about the average quantizer completely useless. Of course b-frames should be compressed at a higher quantizer by design, and when you encode with and without b-frames to the same filesize, the encode with b-frames still has higher quality (except in some rare cases when you want to invest huge amounts of bits in order to keep the original noise of the source). But DRF Analyzer will invariably tell you that the non-b-frame encode has a higher quality! [edit]Not a very useful piece of software IMHO.[edit]

Rest assured, you don't need that app.

Last edited by Teegedeck; 18th September 2006 at 14:19.
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 10:56   #5  |  Link
Lord_neo

thanks for the illumination..

i knew that drf was a little bit old... but i didn't think that it is so unaccurated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegedeck View Post
Also, what do you want DRF analyser for as a ripper? You should determin the quality of your encoding beforehand with a compressiblity check of some kind and not find out afterwards that you've wasted your time with an encode.
so doesn't exist any tools updated with the standart of b-frames, and the possibility to get the matrix quatization used in a rip?

i'm never happy....
Old 19th September 2006, 20:13   #6  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_neo View Post
thanks for the illumination..

i knew that drf was a little bit old... but i didn't think that it is so unaccurated...
Hi,

I would like to disagree with Teegedeck but I cannot the facts are true
This being said and knowing the limitations of drf it still can be used for
- the graphical representation
- the average quant and average-max bits
- get general infos on a particular avi

Quote:
...so doesn't exist any tools updated with the standart of b-frames, and the possibility to get the matrix quatization used in a rip?
Yes and no, Mpeg4modifier gives you the numbers for the cqm used, I keep a paper list with the usual cqms numbers to identify it. Unless I am unaware of it, a good all-in-one tool has still to be developed.

Quote:
i'm never happy....
This may be for metaphysical, philosophical or religious domain, imo not video encoding domain

Did
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 23:52   #7  |  Link
PzSniper

is there any tool like this nowadays?
PzSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 23:59   #8  |  Link
talen9

There's AVInaptic, which is in some (many) ways better than DRF analyzer (and is available on linux) ... but the considerations given before regarding the meaning of the reports are true about this tool too
talen9 is offline   Reply With Quote