Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2010, 16:17   #4201  |  Link
pie1394

With madVR 0.27 , the FS and Window mode switching works a lot faster than it under 0.26. It is especially very obvious on my machine under WinXP x64 + 7300GT.

With 0.26, I got random Win7 frozen with some video clips under pausing. They are not easily to be duplicated. Hope such issue will never happen to 0.27 again.

For one particular AVI file encoded with MPEG4 (704x544 25fps) + AC-3 (448Kbps 4ch), if it is played with MPC-HC + Xvid 1.2 decoder + ACM decoder + madVR 0.26/0.27 at 1400x1050 60Hz monitor, the video is frozen and displayed around 10 seconds later. If the video rednerer is changed to VMR9 , it works fine. Very weird...

Maybe it is due to different muxing method, which makes madVR AV sync mechanism does not quickly response?

Here is the media info. It is related to Violin Concerto , Mutter, Karajan , 1990 ...

Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 954 MiB
Duration : 50mn 23s
Overall bit rate : 2 646 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2178/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 50mn 23s
Bit rate : 2 191 Kbps
Width : 704 pixels
Height : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.294
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.229
Stream size : 790 MiB (83%)
Writing library : XviD 0.0.09 (UTC 2003-03-25)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 2000
Duration : 50mn 22s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 4 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R, Side: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 161 MiB (17%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 80 ms (2.00 video frames)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

Last edited by pie1394; 17th August 2010 at 16:22.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 23:10   #4202  |  Link
mark0077

Madshi I have a few debug Logs I can send on if useful showing some periods of frame drops at the start of movies. This evening I watched Hannibal and at the end of the movie I had just 1 delayed frame but 179 frame drops most of which were noticeable. The log was almost 2gb though so I'll just send on the smaller ones.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 23:33   #4203  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

maybe you got so many dropped frames because your computer was busy creating that 2gb log :>
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 00:03   #4204  |  Link
mark0077

maybe. But 2 gig file in 2 hours when. My hdd can write 2g in 17 seconds doesn't really add up to "busy". I doubt that causes such a slowdown in hdd reads to cause frame drops. The log is being written to c drive anyways and movie was on f drive. CPU usage is in low 2-3 percent even on max hdd reads.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 01:52   #4205  |  Link
techer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmm... Just to be sure that we're talking about the same thing: Can you describe how that screen tearing looks like exactly?
Mostly in the middle of the video...but it just was jittering or tearing constantly, but when I disable exclusive mode it went away. The problem may be because I am using a beta version of MPC-HC http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...inema-x86-x64/

Another problem:
Whenever I go to the MadVR properties to change a setting (i.e. Exclusive mode), the properties window is so long that I can't even hit the apply/ok button, even when I minimize my taskbar @ 1024 X 768. I have to temporarily raise the monitor resolution just so I can see the apply/ok button.

Just to be sure, does the full-screen exclusive mode only enable better playback performance?
Or, does it improve image quality also

thanks, madshi
techer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 03:38   #4206  |  Link
ajp_anton

Bugs/problems:

1. One of the following, depending on what your intentions were:
a) When seekbar is enabled, but automatic exclusive mode is disabled, the seekbar is still enabled in "normal" fullscreen.
b) The seekbar box is grayed out and can't be altered when auto-ex-mode is disabled.

2. You remember the shifted chroma plane issues with non-mod16 videos way back? I'm having those again when exiting exclusive mode.

3. Exiting exclusive mode is slow. Video will go black and pause for a second.

4. If you go from exclusive mode to windowed and then close the player, the screen will go black for a split second exactly when the player disappears from task manager.

Win 7 x64
HD4850
MPC-HC
madVR 0.27

Last edited by ajp_anton; 18th August 2010 at 03:50.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 03:49   #4207  |  Link
Rekka

Hi madshi excellent renderer, but is it possible to get exclusive mode to work on a secondary display?

I'm using mpc auto change, when i go full screen my second display stays blank while exclusive plays on my primary display. But when I put my mouse cursor on the second display it shows the video but says in window mode then goes blank after a couple seconds. I also can't get the madvr seekbar to show up.

My spec: Ati 5850, windows 7 64-bit, ffdshow, coreavc.

Thanks!
Rekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 04:00   #4208  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekka View Post
Hi madshi excellent renderer, but is it possible to get exclusive mode to work on a secondary display?

I'm using mpc auto change, when i go full screen my second display stays blank while exclusive plays on my primary display. But when I put my mouse cursor on the second display it shows the video but says in window mode then goes blank after a couple seconds. I also can't get the madvr seekbar to show up.

My spec: Ati 5850, windows 7 64-bit, ffdshow, coreavc.

Thanks!
You have to make sure the player is on the 2nd display before open the file. I have similar setup and madVR works great.
Old 18th August 2010, 04:09   #4209  |  Link
Rekka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
You have to make sure the player is on the 2nd display before open the file. I have similar setup and madVR works great.
Wow it works! Thanks alot!
Rekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 05:49   #4210  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
madshi

With Windows set to 1920x1080 progressive at 60hz, then tweaked to 72hz progressive using Powerstrip, exclusive works fine.

It is the interlaced res that does it.

The stock Windows 1080i (29hz = what most would refer to as "1080i 60hz"), no Powerstrip, doesn't work either.

Thanks

Mark
madshi, one more bit of information that may (or may not) be useful.

With interlaced res's and powerstrip, you cannot use powerstrip to do the initial swap from a progressive res to an interlaced res.

You must set the PC/graphics driver to "interlaced mode" by setting either the Windows graphics settings OR ATi CCC to a stock interlaced res first.

After that is set, you can then tweak it in Powerstrip.

If I try and set an interlaced res directly in Powerstrip, you get this weird effect where you only see the top half of the screen.

I'm not sure it will affect what you are doing, it's just a quirk.

Last edited by Mark_A_W; 18th August 2010 at 08:30.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 08:09   #4211  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:

I think I remember you earlier wrote that you saw a surprisingly big resolution listed somewhere, bigger than the movie resolution. Is it possible that you setup DirectVobSub in such a way that it scales up the images somehow, to improve subtitle quality? 0.12 did not allow other filters to change the resolution during playback. That might explain why 0.12 was not affected...
This is exactly right, DirectVobSub was set to upscale always and this was the cause of the problem. Changed it and it's now working well, cheers.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 08:14   #4212  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
You do have the seekbar enabled in the madVR options, don't you?
Yes, it is otherwise working quite wonderfully on my 5870 even with 3dluts.
I'm not sure. Does your "Yes" answer my question? Do you have the seekbar enabled in the madVR options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
With Windows set to 1920x1080 progressive at 60hz, then tweaked to 72hz progressive using Powerstrip, exclusive works fine.

It is the interlaced res that does it.
Ok. I think in a future madVR version I will be able to make exclusive mode work with interlaced in Vista and Windows 7. Not sure about XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoSan View Post
After uninstalling MPC, madVR, ffdshow and reinstalling them all, I can get it to work with a reasonable load on my GPU.
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
With madVR 0.27 , the FS and Window mode switching works a lot faster than it under 0.26.
Really? Not sure why that is the case, but I won't complain, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
For one particular AVI file encoded with MPEG4 (704x544 25fps) + AC-3 (448Kbps 4ch), if it is played with MPC-HC + Xvid 1.2 decoder + ACM decoder + madVR 0.26/0.27 at 1400x1050 60Hz monitor, the video is frozen and displayed around 10 seconds later. If the video rednerer is changed to VMR9 , it works fine. Very weird...
Can you shorten that AVI file to a small sample, with which the problem can still be reproduced? If so, you can upload that and I'll have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Madshi I have a few debug Logs I can send on if useful showing some periods of frame drops at the start of movies.
At the *start* of movies? How do you define "start"? First 3 seconds? Or a longer time frame? Is this with v0.26 or does it still occur with v0.27? FWIW, I was hoping that the new frame drop/delay logic in v0.27 would help madVR getting smooth quicker at the start of a movie, compared to v0.26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
This evening I watched Hannibal and at the end of the movie I had just 1 delayed frame but 179 frame drops most of which were noticeable.
Remind me, which is your hardware/software setup? Is v0.27 behaving better, worse or about equal compared to v0.26 for you? Is there any difference between windowed and exclusive mode for you? Do you also have those frame drops in exclusive mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techer View Post
Mostly in the middle of the video...but it just was jittering or tearing constantly, but when I disable exclusive mode it went away. The problem may be because I am using a beta version of MPC-HC
Most of us are using MPC HC beta builds. That should not be the cause of the problem. As I said before, I think there's something wrong with your software installation. There's no way that fullscreen exclusive mode can tear with properly installed drivers and applications. I'd suggest reinstalling graphics drivers, media player and filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techer View Post
Just to be sure, does the full-screen exclusive mode only enable better playback performance?
Or, does it improve image quality also
The image in exclusive mode is not sharper or more colorful, if you mean that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
One of the following, depending on what your intentions were:
a) When seekbar is enabled, but automatic exclusive mode is disabled, the seekbar is still enabled in "normal" fullscreen.
b) The seekbar box is grayed out and can't be altered when auto-ex-mode is disabled.
Ah yes, you're right.

Quote:
2. You remember the shifted chroma plane issues with non-mod16 videos way back? I'm having those again when exiting exclusive mode.
Only when exiting exlusive mode? That's very weird. I can't reproduce it here. Can you upload a sample once again? Which codec (h264, MPEG2, VC-1 etc) are we talking about? And which decoder are you using?

Quote:
3. Exiting exclusive mode is slow. Video will go black and pause for a second.
There's nothing I can do about that.

Quote:
4. If you go from exclusive mode to windowed and then close the player, the screen will go black for a split second exactly when the player disappears from task manager.
That's the way it is and I can't do anything about that, either. Or does this effect not occur when exiting the media player, after having used EVR fullscreen exclusive mode?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 08:15   #4213  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
This is exactly right, DirectVobSub was set to upscale always and this was the cause of the problem. Changed it and it's now working well, cheers.
Hah!
Old 18th August 2010, 08:37   #4214  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Does "normal" make video jumpy after a seek with v0.27, too? Or is that just what you remember from v0.26? I plan to get rid of High and Aero in the next build and only offer Normal. But if you say that Aero works *much* better for you, I may have to change my mind.
It's still all versions past 0.17, from what I have tested.
The thing is, sometimes the video is jumpy, but sometimes it looks perfect. Using High and Aero timings seems to lessen the effect when it occurs, but it is still there.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 12:42   #4215  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Quote:
Only when exiting exlusive mode? That's very weird. I can't reproduce it here. Can you upload a sample once again? Which codec (h264, MPEG2, VC-1 etc) are we talking about? And which decoder are you using?
Yes, only after exiting exclusive mode, and it will get stuck there until I restart the player.
http://www.multiupload.com/75QNFST5AN
Using MPC-HC's internal stuff for everything, no external splitters/decoders.

Last edited by ajp_anton; 18th August 2010 at 12:46.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 12:48   #4216  |  Link
namaiki

I can't reproduce it either. Which build of MPC-HC are you using?
Old 18th August 2010, 12:55   #4217  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
It's still all versions past 0.17, from what I have tested.
The thing is, sometimes the video is jumpy, but sometimes it looks perfect. Using High and Aero timings seems to lessen the effect when it occurs, but it is still there.
Ah, that's with 24fps on 60Hz content, right? Will improve that later, but it doesn't have high priority right now.

Quote:
Yes, only after exiting exclusive mode, and it will get stuck there until I restart the player.
http://www.multiupload.com/75QNFST5AN
Using MPC-HC's internal stuff for everything, no external splitters/decoders.
I can't reproduce it. Tried on both my XPSP3 dev PC and on my win7 x64 HTPC. Can you please check pin connection info before and after the exclusive switch? Does the pin connection info change? Also a log might be helpful...
Old 18th August 2010, 13:04   #4218  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Ah, that's with 24fps on 60Hz content, right? Will improve that later, but it doesn't have high priority right now.
Yeah, it's still the same 24fps@60Hz thing. Sorry about that.
Old 18th August 2010, 14:47   #4219  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
I'm not sure. Does your "Yes" answer my question? Do you have the seekbar enabled in the madVR options?
Yes.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 16:41   #4220  |  Link
bulaboy

Basic starter guide

Hi there

I might have missed the obvious while trawling through the 200 odd pages but could anyone point me to info on how to install madvr from scratch (using say...MPC-HC as the player)? i.e. Do I JUST need MPC-HC and MadVR. Or do I need more?

I have the following setup:
- a ASUS N71 laptop (which has a Core I7-720 M CPU and 1 GB ATI 5730)
- I connect this with a HDMI v1.3c cable to a 50inch plasma (a Panasonic Viera NeoPDP S20, model no TX-P50S20B)
- I have Catayst 10.6 installed on Windows 7 (64bit)
- I had installed CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) and then installed MadVR. I then simply went into MPC-HC and changed output to MadVR
- my TV allows me to choose 23hz as a refresh rate so I've chosen that (which i think means 23.976)
- I've also read in the forums that its best to change the pixel format so I've changed from the default of "YCbCr 4:4:4" to "RGB 4:4:4: Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)"

I mainly watch 720p/1080p x264 movies on the TV. Only thing is i'm not sure if the above way is the ideal way to using MadVR? With the above setup the playback is still not smooth so I fear I might not be installing things in the most efficient manner or simply have it configured incorrectly.

Appreciate any help....this thread btw is a great read! Oh and madshi, its impossible to go back to anything else now that I've seen madvr....thanks so much for your efforts thus far!

Last edited by bulaboy; 18th August 2010 at 16:47. Reason: Forgot to thank madshi !
bulaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling