Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 17th February 2017, 15:40   #1001  |  Link
CruNcher

Nothing for the masses really in its overall price/performance balancing
Also well still need to understand how efficiently Ryzen will work together MultiGPU and how especially the ACE will interact between IGPU/CPU and Discrete sharing workloads and balancing them efficiently supporting each other, where Nvidia has 0 connection point with Intel and Nvidia mostly hacking up and workaround stuff

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 17th February 2017 at 16:04.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 15:48   #1002  |  Link
NikosD

Intel's HEDT processors, those ultra expensive 6, 8, 10 core processors, will be the first victims of RyZen beasts.

With Intel's prices ~1700 $ and very expensive motherboards, those processors are dead on arrival of RyZen.

Besides very specific AVX/AVX2 performance, those Intel's CPUs are a completely meaningless choice.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 16:35   #1003  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
will interact between IGPU/CPU and Discrete sharing workloads and balancing them efficiently supporting each other, where Nvidia has 0 connection point with Intel and Nvidia mostly hacking up and workaround stuff
Ryzen doesn't have a iGPU.

Ryzen is at a point between Intels consumer models and the HEDT platform. It offers 8 cores at a price somewhere in the HEDT range (ie. latest rumors put EU prices at ~600€ for the 1800X, which is slightly above a i7 6850k, or the 1700X for ~470€ which sits similar to a 6800k), but on the other hand it doesn't have some of the HEDT features like extra PCIe lanes for multi-GPU.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 17th February 2017 at 16:41. Reason: typos
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 17:30   #1004  |  Link
CruNcher

Raven Ridge (Ryzen APU) will have it based on most probably VEGA IP and run on every since then released AM4 Ryzen Mainboard
The basic Zen CPU is not that highlight but that combination combined with a Discrete HBM2 GPU and the workloads it allows Async efficiently powered by Vulkan

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 17th February 2017 at 17:38.
Old 17th February 2017, 17:57   #1005  |  Link
NikosD

In order to not misinform anyone we must put the facts as they are.

The 8c/16t RyZen 1800X with 3.6GHz base clock and 4.0GHz turbo has a TDP of 95W and will cost ~600€

The 8c/16t Intel i7 6900K with 3.2GHz base clock and 3.7GHz turbo has a TDP of 140W and costs ~1200€

So, the Intel's equivalent for most workloads of RyZen 1800X has double price.

In other words, dead meat.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 11:31   #1006  |  Link
leonccyiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
Intel's HEDT processors, those ultra expensive 6, 8, 10 core processors, will be the first victims of RyZen beasts.

With Intel's prices ~1700 $ and very expensive motherboards, those processors are dead on arrival of RyZen.

Besides very specific AVX/AVX2 performance, those Intel's CPUs are a completely meaningless choice.
What about Ultra HD Blu-ray and Netflix in 4K? I read that they require Kaby Lake for copy protection, even Intel's HEDT platform doesn't work with either of those it's frustrating.
leonccyiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 13:41   #1007  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonccyiu View Post
What about Ultra HD Blu-ray and Netflix in 4K? I read that they require Kaby Lake for copy protection, even Intel's HEDT platform doesn't work with either of those it's frustrating.
It requires the Kaby Lake GPU, which the HEDT CPUs obviously don't have, since they don't have any iGPU.

With any hope dedicated GPUs from NVIDIA and AMD can also certify for that soon.
Old 1st March 2017, 16:31   #1008  |  Link
hajj_3

Netflix has given a talk about VP9 using low bitrates for static scenes: https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/01/...ad-connection/

They haven't made a blog post about it, at least not yet.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:32   #1009  |  Link
CruNcher

Nothing new Really going 100 kbps on such a device when complexity is low the screen size allows it to hide most artifacts and if it's to blurry post sharpening will help it perceptually for the viewer but watching that 100 kbps stream then at 1080p or UHD and you will see all issues, HDMI out

And if you show something like this to your normal press guy audience of course they'll be impressed.

Though absolutely nothing new Mobile Hype

Per Pixel spatial temporal resolution overhead depending on the Viewing conditions see this for example the bigger the screen and resolution the more it will start to fall apart in motion

https://www.sendspace.com/file/050xe5

This is also why Metrics need to be taken into account with the actual Viewing condition and some already do that, especially for Mobile a low PSNR/SSIM can be sufficient enough your target surely doesn't need to be in the 50 or 0.99 range for that small display size of a Mobile device to be accepted as OK by the viewing audience if it's not showing significant prediction errors that distract

Quote:
As it turns out, Netflix seems to have cracked the code, and in a way that feels sort of obvious.

The thing to remember is that not all movies (or TV shows, for that matter) are created equal. Long, lingering static shots obviously aren't as complex as fight scenes, but to date, Netflix has been encoding those videos as though they were the same.
Geez no wonder trump want's to ban journalists, what for a snake oil seller capability that guy has explaining the difference between CBR and VBR + Psy optimization

Especialy how he doesn't let Netflix look bad for what they did in the Past and Sold but glorifies them to the Olymp with the "they cracked the code" geez crazy

But overall if you dig deeper you read out of what that show up actually was about

It is about the Integration of VMAF results as Metric for at least the Complexity Masking inside of their VP9 Encoder for their further encodings so instead of PSNR and SSIM or (enter something else) they gonna use their VMAF based (Deep Learned) approach as Encoder Psy tuning internally which makes sense, for what would they have developed it else.

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 2nd March 2017 at 07:45.
Old 2nd March 2017, 08:20   #1010  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Don't miss the point that CBR (or "constricted VBR") is the rather obvious approach for delivering content over limited bandwidth. Less constricted VBR would only be applicable for rather huge buffers.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 08:44   #1011  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Yep, switching away from CBR / small buffer+maxrate VBR to true (almost) unrestricted 2 pass VBR is a big advantage in the download scenario. Long, fully adaptive GOPs also help.

ABR encoding is typically done with fixed GOP so the work can be parallelized across many servers (aka split and stitch) while still maintaining GOP alignment. In download we don't care about GOP alignment so we can let the encoder really stretch its legs
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 17:23   #1012  |  Link
CruNcher

Yes but the core of this Presentation was their VMAF Research Investments

It is about Time

Old 14th March 2017, 19:28   #1013  |  Link
dapperdan

Some multithreaded encoding improvements for VP9 encoding:

https://groups.google.com/a/webmproj...el/oiHjgEdii2U
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 19:35   #1014  |  Link
dapperdan

Netflix (who also are namechecked in the above multi-threading email) talk a little about their use of VP9 for Android downloads here:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2017/03/...n-android.html

Most of it is about Android development, but there's a few parpagraphs on VP9 under the heading "Improving Video Quality".
Old 4th April 2017, 16:21   #1015  |  Link
mandarinka

https://groups.google.com/a/webmproj...ss/G_fuix013KM

Seems libvpx is getting improved threading for VP9 encoding. No idea if it is something similar to slices or WPP, or to actual frame threads. Anybody knows what the details are?
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 16:45   #1016  |  Link
Mystery Keeper
Beyond Kawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
https://groups.google.com/a/webmproj...ss/G_fuix013KM

Seems libvpx is getting improved threading for VP9 encoding. No idea if it is something similar to slices or WPP, or to actual frame threads. Anybody knows what the details are?
I don't. But I think their approach is dumb. What I want is this.
Old 4th April 2017, 17:56   #1017  |  Link
mandarinka

That method was actually provisionally used in x265, in 2013.
But I think it was only for purposes of early realtime encoding demos.

It was eventually removed, probably because of the huge downsides in memory consumption. And the fact that for offline encoding, it is more practical to just encode in parts?
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 18:06   #1018  |  Link
Mystery Keeper
Beyond Kawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
That method was actually provisionally used in x265, in 2013.
But I think it was only for purposes of early realtime encoding demos.

It was eventually removed, probably because of the huge downsides in memory consumption. And the fact that for offline encoding, it is more practical to just encode in parts?
That's not trivial to automate. I don't even know how I could merge the encoded cuts.
Old 20th July 2017, 17:43   #1019  |  Link
Clare

I'm doing some tests over a selection of 30 clips encoded at different crf values in order to compare them.

On PSNR-HVS-M, x265 is slightly better than VP9:

But if we look at the VMAF score, VP9 is squeezing more quality per bit:

I was surprised, I thought x265 would have beat VP9 by a margin on VMAF, especially considering its psychovisual optimizations.

Last edited by Clare; 20th July 2017 at 18:27.
Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 13:46   #1020  |  Link
dapperdan

Have VP9 (and AV1) been working on doing better on VMAF? With Netflix adopting them it wouldn't be that surprising if tweaks or bug-fixes that particularly affect VMAF got prioritized.

The question then is if it is "teaching to the test" and therefore not a valid quality increase, or if VMAF is good enough to direct them towards genuine improvements that agree with subjective viewers.

Tags
google, ngov, vp8, vp9, vpx, webm